Complaint Review: La Fitness

• Updated: Wed, December 26, 2012

• Reported By: Paulina — Evanston Illinois United States of America
La Fitness
1618 Sherman Avenue Evanston, Illinois United States of America

La Fitness Personal training program is a scam. Damage to your health. Misinform customers. Charge account when membership is canceled. Lye. Pretend to be your personal trainer when they sell the membership. Evanston, Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Free fitness evaluation from sales, not certified

I wanted to start working out so I decided to go to the La Fitness.
It seemed that La Fitness was a trustworthy place, because I would not suspect big corporation to run a scam.

When I signed up to the gym I specifically asked if it's a long term contract and I was informed that I can cancel when ever I want to. I got a free trainer evaluation. It's something that all La Fitness customers are automatically sign up to do.

Trainer was eloquent. I had no idea that I was lied to. Trainer promised that he is the one I can work out with. And there were no remarks on any long therm contract.  Actually he was selling me program in which when person enrolls there is no way out for 12 months. Not only that. The actual trainer I got after the sale was finalized had no idea what he was doing.

I had a very serious ACL injury years back and I got trainer in order to rehabilitate my knee. [continued below]....
..... After 3 months of not eloquent training, I was barely walking. Pain was overwhelming and my remarks on mistakes that trainer had been making were not herd. Finally I decided to cancel program, and so I did: online.

After a month I realized that La Fitness is still charging my account. I called the location of my La Fitness and that is when I was informed that I can not cancel my account without showing up there or sending a copy of cancellation form to their location. She also gave me another phone number.

Finally when I called to the financial office I was informed that I can not cancel the account for the next 8 months and if I will I will have to pay 500$ penalty.

I honestly can not believe that big firm can afford losing their reputation and run scam like this for such a long time. After researching this problem online I found out there were many more cases of the same exact scam ran on many other people for years. That is one of the examples: http://www.renewedfitness.org/lafitness/ .

I hope there is a way to inform American people about it, so there will be no more victims of this personal trainer scam.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/15/2012 07:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/La-Fitness/Evanston-Illinois-60202/La-Fitness-Personal-training-program-is-a-scam-Damage-to-your-health-Misinform-customer-883319. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on La Fitness

Free fitness evaluation from sales, not certified

AUTHOR: Fitness skeptic - (United States of America)

Sadly, too many prospective members are not informed that the introductory " free fitness evaluation" at LA Fitness ( at least at Evanston) is conducted by an uncertified sales associate, not a certified personal trainer.

so of course, this sales person will declare you in need of a PT, which will not be him.