On June 02 2006, I was taken to LRMC (Lakeland Regional Medical Center) in Lakeland, FL by ambulance for a slip and fall in a local supermarket, I was found unconscious because of a chemical spill on the cleaning supply isle.
From what I was told, a manager found me on the floor, fire rescue responded to the store and I was then transported to LRMC. Once there I was admitted at once then an MRI was ordered
Along with an x-ray.
The chemical that was accountable for my fall was believed to be a Clorox or bleach of some sort being that more than one hospital staff member asked if I had been cleaning with household cleaners. I arrived and the ER @ approximately 14:55 hrs, I continuously stated that my back was burning severely; they told me that I could not move because of fear that I could have other injuries they could be unaware of.
Approximately 19:00 hrs my husband and mother started to remove the shirt I was wearing this whole time, never was I offered a chemical bath to remove the harsh chemical that were on my mid and lower back, later that night before discharge @ approximately 20:00 hrs I was then offered to have my back cleaned, this service consisted of a hard cloth and soap water.
When they saw that by now this chemical had given me 1st and 2nd degree chemical burns and the simple soap and water simply would not work, soon after me screaming in pain and agony, I was then wheeled to a bathroom, there I was instructed to strip down and wash myself in a chemical shower with soap and water, and the worker then hosed my back of three minutes to insure the chemical was off.
Before discharge, I was told to buy some Neosporin for my burns In addition, to treat them as a sunburn. I was also given Vicodin for the pain for injuries, which I sustained in the slip and fall.
To this day I have gone back several times just to receive the same poor attempt for medical treatment, for these now permanent scars on my back which I would not have if they hade followed protocol and given me a chemical bath and removed contaminated clothing as soon as admitted, but the whole time I was telling people my back was burning all they would say is "sorry you must wait for the doctor" which took almost six hours, after all this I was advised to seek legal council.
I have contacted Risk management several times only to get the same guy and same answer, "we'll look into it and get back to you" and keep blowing me off so they apparently don't care that a 21 year old woman has sustained permanent scars for life because they neglected to remove my clothes and follow protocol and now they refuse to acknowledge this fact and even begin to offer even as much as a sorry, or please let us compensate you for these scars on your back. Bad Business.