Complaint Review: Laurel Palms Apartments

• Updated: Sun, May 19, 2013

• Reported By: Darryl — Perris California
Laurel Palms Apartments
549 N D Street Perris, California USA

Laurel Palms Apartments , Alex Property Management, Code Enforcement The Laurel Palms Apartments Conspiracy Agenda "Alex said; Report me to the City, nothing will happen!" Perris California

I first started coming to the laurel palms apartments about 3 1/2 years ago in 2009 to 'aid & attend' a veteran buddy who had recently become disabled.

Upon entering the veteran's apartment I began cleaning up for him and it wasn't long before I realized that [there was Hot Water coming out of all the Cold water faucets].

I asked the veteran how long has this hot water been coming out of the cold water side and he responded that it had been for awhile now but he wasn't for sure how long.

As im cleaning things up in the apartment i stop to take a bathroom break.

As soon as i sat on the toilet, I felt the 'Heat' from the toilet water! I said, Kenny you know this is a 'Code Violation', why haven't you informed the apartment manager's of this? (Kenny and myself are in construction and are familiar with building & safety codes).

Kenny said, "man I did report it to the management and they said their working on it". [continued below]....

..... [note: Kenny is a guy that will not talk up for himself nor confront a wrong against him].

After about the 3rd week of helping my buddy to recuperate, I had noticed that; 'Every week a letter would be placed on the apartment units stating that 'The water would be turned off for the day until late that evening'.

On the days the water would be turned off, there were never any 'work crews' outside working on any water lines or broken pipes, and it wasn't long before i realized that the 'apartment managers' were using this ploy to 'save money on the water'.

After about two months attending to kenny, and realizing that nothing was being done about the water situation, I filed a 'Report' with the Perris Code Enforcement Office located [approximately 100 yards] from the laurel palms apartments, this was in 2009. I was repeatedly assured by code enforcement that the situation at the laurel palms apartments would be addressed as soon as officer was available.

In the mean time i began talking with the tenant's and soon learned why everyone was quiet and afraid to report, or confront the apartment management. I was told about  all the tenants who complained, and how they were retailiated against by the apartment management which lead to their all being soon 'evicted'.

The summer came around and i couldn't believe the heat, I turn on the inside ac and warm air came out. I asked kenny when was the last time his ac was serviced and his reply was, it has never been serviced, he further said that he had put in for a new ac, but was told " The Owners were going to purchase any".

I noticed that the majority of the 'tenant's'durung the hot summer days would spend their time either in the pool, or at the park next door, claiming that it was 'cooler outside than in the apartments'.

While out on the balcony taking a smoke break and watching the whole apartment complex gathered at the pool to cool off from the hot summer, several kids were in the sauna when one of the kids yelled to another, " ewwww! you used the bathroom in the water!". I couldn't believe what i was seeing, [the water in the sauna was turning brownish], it wasn't from a kid using the sauna for a toilet, but in fact, it was (sewage back-flowing into the sauna). I told someone to tell the adults to get their kids out of the pool and sauna because of the dangers. However, most ignored my warning due to the fact that, where would they go to cool off if they didn't have the pool?.

I contacted the [Perris code enforcement, and the main office in Riverside] telling them that they needed to get someone out here ASAP as the conditons were very serious. Again i was told that, they were limited on code enforcement officers, but that they would again take my complaint and forward it to the code enforcement officer.

It's now been 3 1/2 years later and still not one thing has been done about the numerous health & saftey violations that are being allowed to remain in place.

Around the first of May 2013 i saw the apartment manager and asked that 'special consideration' be given to the tenant in 47 due to his medical disabilities, and my respiratory condition that was now worsening as a result of improper ventilation and maintain failing to clean the filters on the ac units. I further stated that; I could not 'aid & attend to Mr. Kenny' any longer if he couldn't get a ac unit as for health reasons it would be dangerous for me, as it has been for keeny who has the following medical disabilities, High Blood Pressure, seizures & blackouts, shoulder injuries.

I myself have the following medical disabilities i informed the manager of, which are; COPD, Vertigo nystagmus, bronchitis, asthma, and acute respiratory disease, all which has gotten worse because of these living conditions. I asked for the 'corporate office number' so if she wouldn't request the ac for kenny, I would call on his and my behalf to demand that a working ac be put into apartment 47 or i would take this to the next level.

Two days after this conversation with the manager I go to my car and see, [Tow Away Stickers] plastered over my windows!. I go to the office and ask why were these tow away stickers on my car?. The manager smirked and said, " your car has been in the same parking spot for 3 days and you can't do that.

I told her that, myself and kenny had gotten 'approval from management, and a special parking pass' which exempted me from her claims being that i was providing [aid and attendant] to their tenant. I further stressed the fact that what she was doing was violating the ADA for disabled persons. I asked for the corporate office again.

I attempted to contact (Alex) who is the apartment management supervisor on several occassions to address this now serious issue and harrassment against me. I was always told by the receptionist that Alex was either in a meeting, or unavailable. So after a few days of being given the run-around i finally told the receptionist, 'that if i didnt hear from alex by the days end, that i would file a complaint with code enforcemnt and the media.

ALex called back as expected and immediately started chewing my head off about my telling his managers and receptionist that i would file a complaint against him. I told Alex what was going on, and that the ac unit in kenny apartment was not working which was effecting me, as well as kenny.

Alex, didnt want to hear anything and said, get your car off my property and never bring it back on the property again. I said so what your saying is your denying kenny a right as a tenant to have a aid and attendant care for him? Alex said, I dont want your car on my property anymore, so move it.

I told Alex that i was going to file a ADA civil Rights violation against him as well as a slumlord complaint.

Alex stated; " Go ahead and call the City, Code Enforcement, and anybody else you want, nothing will happen!"

I removed my car from the apartment property and had to park down the street at the code enforcement building.

I called Code Enforcement to add this to my now (3 complaints) and was told, Mr. Smith I have not found any complains you say you filed with our department. I told her the story since my 1st filing the complaint in 2009 all the way to present 2013 and she replied with; " Our office No Longer handles landlord/tenant complaints, and that it would have to be taken up in a civil court action initiated by me!

I said to this Code Enforcement officer, you'll telling me that your office doesn't handle Code & Saftey violations anymore? she again stated yes, that it was my responsibility to file a court action.

Now i knew that this was -way over my head. Now i knew why Alex made the statement that, nothing would happen to him if i called to complain. Alex was either paying someone off at the city, or the laurel palms apartments were owned by local city officials who have had all complains blocked and destroyed.

Please help Ripoff! this might even be be big for you! everyone here is afraid to speak up, but if you sent out investigators i have been assured most will talk with you. There is so much i have left out to a later time and interview.

But please can you locate who these owners are of the laurel palms apartments? I cant find nothing on them!

respectfully. Your not going to believe what you'll see and find once you get here! unbelievable!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2013 02:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Laurel-Palms-Apartments/Perris-California-92570/Laurel-Palms-Apartments-Alex-Property-Management-Code-Enforcement-The-Laurel-Palms-Apa-1052136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Laurel Palms Apartments