Complaint Review: Law Offices of Kevin B. Gibbs

• Submitted: Wed, January 30, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, January 30, 2013

• Reported By: dolphin — Taylorsville Utah United States of America
Law Offices of Kevin B. Gibbs
505 S. Villa Real Dr. Suite 212, Anaheim CA 92807 Newport Beach, California United States of America

Law Offices of Kevin B. Gibbs Removed himself as counsel in the middle of my child custody case without warning Newport Beach , California

During a child custody battle with me ex, I hired attorney first Kevin B. Gibbs.  At first he seemed genuinely concerned about me and my case and was very positive that the my outcome woud be favorable.  He required an upfront $4,000 retainer fee, which  I told him that I didn't have, but could try and raise it within two weeks.  He said he couldn't do anything until he received the full amount.  Two weeks later, I had borrowed money from a family memeber and my boyfriend and called Kevin B. Gibbs to make a payment.  I also provided all documents he would need and highlighted them for him to make my case.  All he had to do was prepare the legal documents and represent me in court.  I had moved to another state but the court representing us is in CA where I moved from.  In August, I had to miss work that I had just started to fly to CA for the court date.  My brother accompanied to the court house and we met Kevin B. Gibbs, who was about 30 minutes late.  I gave him all my photos, written statements, etc.  We went inside where he proceded to say approximately 50 words or less to the judge.  The judge didn't want to hear what he had to say and because my daughter was 16, she could state where she wanted to live, which was CA.  She missed her friends and hated Utah where we had moved.  I temporarily lost physical custody of my daughter for several months to see how things worked out with her living with her dad for the first time.  Our next court date was set for December 18.  I was to be able to call in to the court instead of flying back to CA again, and my attorney, Kevin B. Gibbs was to be there to represent me.  In the interim, I received a bill from the Kevin B. Gibbs office stating that they had used up all but about $300 of my $4,000 retainer and that he needed an additional $1,600 at least to continue with my case.  I was shocked by this.  I sent several emails to Kevin B. Gibbs office and had no response.  I then called the office and asked why my emails weren't being answered, and the receptionist told me that Kevin B. Gibbs was currently on vacation. (no doubt on my $4000 retainer)  I was trying to find out if Kevin B. Gibbs would take two payments from me prior to our next court date in December.  I sent another email to both the office and to Kevin B. Gibbs and he responded by saying he was on vacation and that we could discuss this when he returned mid to late October.  I waited for a week to hear from him and when I heard nothing, I sent another email to his office.  I got no response.  I sent a second email a few days later asking why am I not hearing back from anyone?  I got a response from the receptionist saying that Kevin was just back from his vacation and catching up on emails  and would contact me after he was caught up.  I never heard anything from him.  A week later, my ex calls me saying that he received a letter from my attorney saying he was removing himself as counsel from my case due to the "breakdown in communication from client".  What a load of bull that was!  The breakdown in communication wa on his part, not mine.  I then received the same letter 2 days later and a copy went to the judge hearing our case.  I sent another email asking why he was doing this and why wouldn't he take two payments from me.  I never heard back again.  I then received a bill for the letters removing him as counsel that he sent to me, my ex and the judge, charging me over $300 for that.   I revieced yet another bill for a charge of over $215, not even sure what for.  I sent another email asking what this bill was for and no one responded to my emai.   I received another bill yesterday adding a late charge of $2.00 that was applied and will continue to be applied each month I don't pay this bill that I don't know what the bill is for.  I sent one final email asking for a full refund of my $4,000 retainer for misrepresenting me and for costing me custody of my daughter.  I said that if I didn't receive my refund that I would contact the state bar association and report him and also send all our emails, bills, etc to the judge so he can also see how miserably I was misrepresented.   I can't believe how I was taken advantage of in my most vulnerable stage in my life and how he just left me hanging, alone and without representation.    He is a terrible attorney and one I would not recommend to ANYONE.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2013 12:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Law-Offices-of-Kevin-B-Gibbs/Newport-Beach-California-92660-2484/Law-Offices-of-Kevin-B-Gibbs-Removed-himself-as-counsel-in-the-middle-of-my-child-custo-1006141. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Law Offices of Kevin B. Gibbs