Complaint Review: Leaf Only ( www.leafonly.com)

• Submitted: Thu, October 25, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, December 26, 2012

• Reported By: Bill — Columbus Ohio United States of America
Leaf Only ( www.leafonly.com)
440 Middlefield St Internet United States of America

Leaf Only ( www.leafonly.com) Leaf Only LLC, LeafOnly, leafonly.com Made my first order a few months ago at www.leafonly.com, the leaves were completely covered in dirt and crud, after hounding Rich for weeks to reship the faulty leaves, he sends me new leaves COMPLET, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Satisfied Customer

*Consumer Comment: I'm a Happy Customer!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Picutre / Refund

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to LeafOnly's Response

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Customer Service

A report about Leaf Only (aka Leaf Only LLC , LeafOnly.com , www.LeafOnly.com )

A few months ago I placed my first order with Leaf Only ( leafonly.com ) and spent around $80 on their "Cigarette Sampler" Blend. I received it, and found the leaves to be covered in dirt, sand, and crud, obviously skipping out on proper tobacco farming procedures- which involves washing the tobacco immeadeatley after it is harvested. When I called them initially to inform them about the ruined product, a gentleman told me that "he likes to dip his 'smoke' in water to wash off any dirt before using it"....

They are advertising beautifully manicured leaves FOR SMOKING IN A PIPE OR CIGARETTE, NOT FOR FERTILIZER.  After hounding "Rich" at LeafOnly for weeks, he finally finds it in the kindness of his heart to re-ship part of my order. I received the re-shipment a few days ago, but it only took 10 seconds to see an entire army of bugs inside the bag crawling around & having a frenzy. WTF? How could something this obvious and crude be overlooked? This company is terrible on so many levels, including ethical, as they couldn't care less whether you have emphezema and die after smoking dirt, feces, bugs, fertilizer, and who knows what else. THIS TOBACCO IS CONTAMINATED AND VERY UNHEALTHY.

I advise you stay FAR AWAY from leaf only, there are so many QUALITY vendors in the United States for the same price, and hey- it wont have shit all over it! DO NOT ORDER FROM LEAF ONLY. These guys only give me the run-around every-time I contact them, and I've finally lost my sense of humor about the situation. Im honestly not sure if I even want to put these in my compost pile. RIPOFF!!! Shame on you leaf only.

leafonly leafonly.com www.leafonly.com leafonly.com leaf only www.leafonly.com

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/25/2012 01:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Leaf-Only-wwwleafonlycom/internet/Leaf-Only-wwwleafonlycom-Leaf-Only-LLC-LeafOnly-leafonlycom-Made-my-first-order-a-960034. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Leaf Only ( www.leafonly.com)

Satisfied Customer

AUTHOR: Myron - ()

I have been dealing with Leaf Only for over 2 years now at this point. Rich & John have always been excellent to deal with in every aspect of customer service and delivering a good product!  Due to the fact that I live in Canada, there are border clearance issues that have to be dealt with on any of my shipments, and for any of you that have not cleared shipments across an international border, well you have NO idea what kind of a hassle that can be with customs involved with something like tobacco shipments. Leaf Only has been great helping when there are clearance issues, with providing documents that CCRA decide they want even though all the proper documents have always been with the shipments, but CCRA enjoys making issues about nothing and do it just because they can.  Both of the above mentioned gentlemen are outstanding to deal with.

As far as product goes, well I have found dust, the odd blade of grass and the only bug I have ever found on a few occasions was a lady bug! Big deal, remember folks, it's a plant that grows outside in the dirt, not a sterile hydroponic environment. A little common sense goes along way folks!

Rick and John, both you guys rock like I've said before.

Best regards,

Myron

I'm a Happy Customer!

AUTHOR: Hazey - (United States of America)

I have placed one order with this company, for a cigar starter kit, for a total of two pounds of tobacco, four different leaf types. All of them are of very high quality, and yes, there is a little bit of dirt/dust (what do you expect for an agricultural product?) For this guy Nathan to get 8 Lbs. of tobacco for free is outrageous, and then to call the company a ripoff is so insulting, after they already bent over backwards to accommodate his issue. A "ruined product"? Give me a break Nathan....

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Picutre / Refund

AUTHOR: LeafOnly - (United States of America)

1. Ok...

2. Ok, that's even more strange to me as I reached out to provide customer service and it sounded like everything was OK towards the end of the conversation.

3. Since when have we lied about anything? And what corner are we in? I can see from the picture that those are tobacco beetles. It isn't that unheard of to find dead ones. In fact it's very common with cigarette tobacco types. If they were alive, I am sorry about that. There may have been some eggs in the tobacco and they hatched on the way. This is not something that is not common and we will be sure to inspect the tobacco a bit more thoroughly in lieu of this. However I could NOT find beetles on ANY of our tobacco after hearing this from you. If there was some sort of infestation, we would be well aware of it by now.

4. Now that I see the picture and can tell that they look like tobacco beetles, this is likely not the case. However, to answer your question - very easily! I have had a customer find a grasshopper in his box and I can tell you for SURE that it wasn't in the box before sending.

5. Well I specifically asked if there were hard feelings and you said "no". In any case, I've been doing my best to provide good customer service in spite of these problems.

6. Your post is slanderous because you are making claims about our company that are not true. This is slander. Examples of these include:

- This company is terrible on so many levels, including ethical, as they couldn't care less whether you have emphezema and die after smoking dirt, feces, bugs, fertilizer, and who knows what else. (slander)

- These guys only give me the run-around every-time I contact them. (slander)

- THIS TOBACCO IS CONTAMINATED AND VERY UNHEALTHY. (again, this is slander. If you only knew what the tobacco they put into your cigarettes looks like. Only 40% of it is actual tobacco leaf. Furthermore, our tobacco would be considered "premium" cigarette tobacco in the tobacco market - especially the Canadian which is what you took pictures of below). As a side note, I am surprised at how nice the tobacco looks! Looks just like our pictures online minus the 2 tobacco beetles you pointed out.

- I truly feel sorry for the sad souls that choose to entrust this company with their hard earned money, they're just jumping onto the money bandwagon geared towards "natural, organic, additive free" tobacco. Such a shame. (slander - I personally USE our tobacco. Jumping on the money bandwagon???)

How about this - Give me a call today and I will refund your credit card. I cannot do this without getting your card number again because this order is about 6 months old now (120 days is max). Then, you will have received 8LBs of tobacco leaf FREE OF CHARGE. You didn't even have to pay for shipping. If that's not providing good customer service I don't know what is.

Nathan, you should have read our refund policy before ordering, but you also never requested a refund when we spoke on the phone. You accepted the free tobacco and usually this is what works best for people when problems arise. To be honest though, if you had only asked for a refund instead of posting this trying to defame our company, I would have given it to you yesterday.

I still urge you to remove this post, as much of it is just not true - specifically the parts where you talk about our company values and ethics. Like I said, we strive to provide wonderful customer service. Even if this was a private email exchange between the two of us (which honestly is what this should have been all along), I would be replying in the same words. Please do the right thing, as I have done my part to do the right thing as well.

We are NOT a rip-off company what-so-ever. We deal with EVERY problem we encounter HEAD ON. We have never intentionally ripped anyone off. Not personally, not in business. That's just not how we live our lives. We are good honest people running an honest company. I am still sorry you had bad luck with the leaves and it didn't work out for you.

- John

Rebuttal to LeafOnly's Response

AUTHOR: William Penn - (United States of America)

1. This site recommended using a "Pen Name", so I was just thinking of all the BILLS I wasted on your site, so I thought it was appropriate.

2. Actually we spoke on the phone about an hour before I wrote this report, not after

3. The dirt on the first batch was most certainly dirt, not "tobacco dust" as you say. It was clearly very sandy soil and granulated bits of sand, dirt, and unidentifiable crud, was all over the leaves. Yes I can take pictures, and I have a wonderful video of the 2nd delivery, opening box and observing the bugs crawling around (yes, they are ALIVE and well nested), that I will be displaying on YouTube for all who are interested. But I'm sure you'll find a way to lie your way out of this corner you're in, so no worries right?

4. How would a "batch of external bugs" find its way into a completely sealed cardboard box?

5. I did not tell you I had no "hard feelings" towards your company when you asked. You must have misunderstood. I was clearly dissatisfied, why wouldn't i have "hard feelings"?

6. How is my post "slanderous"? You just stated in your response above that dirt on your leaves is fairly common, and that you wouldn't be suprised (yet this is the "first time" you've heard of this happening) if there was some bugs in the tobacco. In no way, shape or form has this company ever offered me a refund, and I had to fight for weeks to get replacement tobacco for the sandy loam special I was given. Should've just canceled the credit card payment after the first package but I wanted to give them a chance, boy am I sorry now. I truly feel sorry for the sad souls that choose to entrust this company with their hard earned money, they're just jumping onto the money bandwagon geared towards "natural, organic, additive free" tobacco. Such a shame.

Stay tuned for youtube link + pics

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Customer Service

AUTHOR: LeafOnly - (United States of America)

Nathan,

I am not sure why you wrote this, nor why you are using the name Bill as we spoke on the phone shortly after you posted this horrible review.

First, I'd like to preface with the fact that we have been in business for 3 years now and have thousands of satisfied, repeat customers who find our tobacco leaves to be wonderful. Do we get the occasional complaint? Sure we do - every business does. Some are for honest mistakes, and others are because new customers lack experience and don't realize that this is an agricultural commodity, not a packaged tobacco product. We do our best to select the best leaves we can, but it is impossible to go through each and every leaf of every pound. That is why a certain amount of care should be taken when working with items like raw leaf tobacco.

As for the first order you received, you mentioned that it was covered in dirt. I have not seen pictures, so I do not know for sure, but I would be willing to bet that some or all of this is tobacco dust, not dirt. Very few leaves have dirt on them, but it is certainly understandable given the nature of the product. Would you be surprised to find dirt on a head of lettuce? I know I wouldn't be because I find myself thoroughly washing every head I buy at the store for this very reason. It is the exact same concept - why do you think there is no tax?

As for the bugs, this I would truly like to see this. You said you would send the box back to me so I can inspect it, and I  really appreciate that. The occasional dead tobacco beetle is one thing (actually, you will hear the occasional "pop" sound while smoking a commercial cigarette - this is a tobacco beetle getting burned). But what you describe as an army of living bugs is another. This is very uncommon and in all my years doing this, I have yet to see anything like this. However it is a natural product, so I wouldn't be completely flabergasted. It is even possible that there was some sort of hatch or external bugs that got into your package along the way. I won't be sure until I inspect it.

In sum, I'm not sure why you posted this slanderous post when you told me on the phone that there were no hard feelings. We really do our best to provide outstanding customer service. The fact that Rich sent you additional tobacco free of charge shows that. If you read our refund policy (located at: http://www.leafonly.com/tos_and_refund_policy.php), you will see that this is not something we normally do. I would really appreciate it if you retracted this, and any other posts you've made about us. We are not a scam company and do really good business. For every complaint, I have 30 positive testimonials of customers raving about our leaves. I am sorry that you ended up being one of the few. Like I've always said - this just isn't something for every single smoker on the planet. Some people love it, some people hate it. As for me, I'd rather have a bit of dirt to wash off of my tobacco leaves than 200+ chemicals added to it and prepared for me in a cigarette.

I appreciate your understanding and I am sorry it didn't work out for you. I would really also be interested in seeing the tobacco with the bugs in it - at least pictures would be great.

Thanks,