Complaint Review: Legacy Motors

• Submitted: Mon, May 02, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, May 03, 2011

• Reported By: pissed off consumer — Farmers Branch Texas United States of America
Legacy Motors
1918 East Division Drive Arlington, Texas United States of America

Legacy Motors Ripping off Innocent People Arlington, Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Avoid this in the future

*Consumer Comment: not a rip off

*Consumer Comment: Change your methods.

I have also had a similar experience with Legacy Motors.  My husband and I had been without a car for over 6 months, when our income tax check had come in, we had mutually decided to put $500 down towards a vehicle so we wouldn't have to rely on public transportation to get us to and from when conducting business or what not.  We had come across Legacy Motors via craigslist and went and spoke to one of the dealers there.  He seemed to be professional, showed us what cars we could finance based off of the amount we had put down.  We test drove a couple and finally decided on the one that we had liked. Paper work was signed, money was handed over and we went on our way happy atleast that we had a car finally.  Well, the gas was kind of low when we initally got it, so we put a decent amount of gas in to get us through a couple of days.  The gas light had come on at a quarter of a tank and started sputtering and we had run out of gas three times when according to the gauge we had a quarter of a tank.  Needless to say, my husband was less then thrilled at this and decided to bring it to the dealer's attention so hopefully the problem would be fixed.  The guy was straightforward  with him and told my husband that he would be happy to fix the problem then went on to elaborate just exactly what would entail in fixing the problem.  He also stated that he would only pay half of the labor and would cost us a couple thousand dollars atleast!!!!!!!!  Where is the sense in that?!  You sell a car with mechanical problem that was NOT caused by us and expect us to pay HALF of what the labor would cost. Yeeeahhh okay.  AFter that something just wasn't setting right with me, so I decided to do my own digging and looking up information on our car.  This dealership is having us pay four times of what the kelly blue book value of our car is!!!!!!!!!!  Like the other person writing about this company, we can't trade it in, because we will be almost 9k upside down, can't take it back because it will be a re po, and am just stuck with it for the time being.  DO NOT GO TO THIS DEALERSHIP!!! I totally regret doing so and if I had to do over again, we would have certainly gone with a different dealership.  My only hope is that other people will read this article and the one before it and take heed when deciding to purchase a car.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2011 02:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Legacy-Motors/Arlington-Texas-/Legacy-Motors-Ripping-off-Innocent-People-Arlington-Texas-724646. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Legacy Motors

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Avoid this in the future

AUTHOR: W. - (USA)

If you come across a car you like you leave and check the pricing on it, or call someone and have them give you the private party and retail value. As far as 4x KBB, you were probably looking at trade-in or wholesale value, which is going to be much lower than private party, and much MUCH lower than retail. Always take the car to a mechanic, or have a mobile mechanic come check it out; spending $100 to do this would have saved you several hundreds and the aggravation. To fix the fuel gauge may require dropping the tank to replace teh sender, if that is what is bad, and while not costing thousands at the least teh dealer is paying something. You bought the car "as is" and the dealer doesn't HAVE to do anything, and frankly I'm amazed that they are agreeing to do anything when they could just tell you to go s**t in your hat.

Good luck.

not a rip off

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You foolishly agreed to the terms therefore it's not a rip off. I don't understand why you referred to the KBB after the sale.

Change your methods.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

Sadly, this will happen to you at just about any used car lot.   Used cars are generally sold with an "as is " disclaimer (which you sign).  That means any problems it has after you sign the papers are yours.   You should not expect a used car dealer to fix anything after the sale, unless you have a specific written warranty that covers the repair (unlikely).   Your only protection when buying a used car is to have it thoroughly checked out by a trusted mechanic BEFORE you buy it.

This dealership is having us pay four times of what the kelly blue book value of our car is!!!!!!!!"

That's probably because you agreed to pay that much.   Another key to car buying is knowing the value of the car you want to buy BEFORE negotiating a price.   You can't really negotiate effectively if you have no idea what the car is worth.   Car dealers routinely take advantage of uninformed buyers, knowing full well that there's not much they can do about it after they've signed the contracts.