Complaint Review: Legacy

• Reported By:Anaheim California
Legacy
Cypress, California U.S.A.

Legacy Overcharge at pay phone Cypress California

*Author of original report: Legacy keep getting away with it!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Collect is not direct.

*Author of original report: Useless info.

*Author of original report: Over charge of pay phone

*Author of original report: Legacy LD INTL.

11/6/07
Today I recieved my phone bill from my local phone company on line and noticed it appeared extrenly high to me. I clicked on details, and found a charge from Legacy LD INTL. Inc.for a 5 min. call for the amount of $ 22.24.
I called the tollfree number,800-553-4218 and spoke to a representative, and was told it was a collect call from a pay phone less than a 1/4 of a mile down my street at a gas station.

My son did call me collect from a pay phone, because he had a dead battery and needed to pick him up at the gas station. This was on Oct. 1st.

My son today walked to that pay phone to check the rates listed on the phone, which stated: $ 0.35 per min. local calls, $ 1.00 per 5 min. USA. No direct call "might be higher". My son dialed direct.

I called Legacy back, and asked them if the call was routed from India or another foreign country, Which I got no reply. Was told this was normal rates for collect calls from pay phone, and it was" regulated." My son got on his computer, and found their adress to be aprox. 4-5 miles from our home, also there have been several complaint agains this company. What they charged is nothing less than extortion, and they should be put out of buisness. This is outrageous! He also found this Ripoff web page for me. What can we do?

Lee
Anaheim, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/06/2007 11:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Legacy/Cypress-California-90630/Legacy-Overcharge-at-pay-phone-Cypress-California-283424. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Legacy

Legacy keep getting away with it!!!

AUTHOR: Lee - (U.S.A.)

Result from reports from: BBB, Public utilities, Consumers Affairs.
NOTHING!!!!!!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Collect is not direct.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

At first you said "My son did call me collect from a pay phone". But then you said
"No direct call "might be higher". My son dialed direct." Collect and Direct calls are not the same.

Direct is when you place coins into the phone and don't use an "operator". In this case he would need $1.75 in coins to make the call to you($0.35 per minute for 5 minutes). That would have been the end of it.

However, what your son did was press "0" and made a "collect" call. These fall under different rates. Now, is $22.24 a bit excessive for 5 minutes...yea. Are you going to have to pay it...depends.

What you need to do is file a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission(PUC). There is how to go through the dispute process on the back of your bill. You must send them the disputed amount($22.24) as a deposit. They will investigate and if it is found to be an invalid charge your check will be returned. If it is found to be valid they pay the disputed amount.

Useless info.

AUTHOR: Lee - (U.S.A.)

Filed complaints with Better BBB, California Public Utilities, and Consumers Affairs, just to find out, all they do is file the report They will contact Legacy about the complaint, but that,s it. So far there are 200 unanswered responses from Legacy to BBB, so they closed my case!! I am now taking my story to The Register Newspaper and expose this Company who also goes by the name " 0 plus dialing" (that,s the name that shows up on your bill)
Anyone in the Orange County , Ca area, please respond if you are interested in getting some justice, and not allowing this company to keep ripping people off. They have been doing it for over 4 years,

Over charge of pay phone

AUTHOR: Lee - (U.S.A.)

After notifying Better Buisness Bureau and Public Utilities, I recieved a call from Legacy saying they would "investigate"
Today I recieved a letter from Legacy stating" In appriciation of good customer service, they offerd me 50% of the bill. I REFUSED! There are now over 200 complaints against Legacy, most from this web site, but also Better Buisness Bureau and Public utilities. I WILL NOT GO AWAY! This company should should be put OUT OF BUISNESS! Class action anyone?

Legacy LD INTL.

AUTHOR: Lee - (U.S.A.)

Found 55 complaints against this company, during research with California Public Utilities, 19 reports with Rip Off. Complaints also filed with Better Buisness Bureau and Consumers Affairs. Im ready for a class Action Suit, if this cant be resolved within a reasonable time. Lets stop this unlawful practice of ripping people off and make sure they stay OUT OF BUISNESS!