Complaint Review: Lenovo

• Submitted: Sun, February 27, 2011
  • Updated: Sun, February 27, 2011

• Reported By: Randal — Renton Washington U.S.A.
1009 Think place Morrisville, North Carolina United States of America

Lenovo Yuanqing Yang, Kevin Hooper, Neha Nirmal Jain, Ewell Lammy, DIVYA B S Thinkpad Model W510 doesn't work out of the box, no warranty support, Lenovo lies about product Morrisville, North Carolina

I bought this laptop from Kevin Hooper, a Lenovo salesman.  Almost immediately Win 7 crashed, but initially I didn't know what was going on.  At first I was suspicious that it was a problem with Win 7 or spyware, but subsequently I found out that the problem was with the hardware.  I attempted to install SUSE Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Sabayon Linux, and Windows XP 32-bit and none of them would run correctly.  In the case of Win 32, it wouldn't even install and I got a blue screen with an error message indicating that the computer was being shut down to protect it.  In addition, it took several installations of Sabayon to get it installed, and then nothing would run.  Everything would lookup.

I called Lenovo and initially they ignored me.  After many many phone calls and emails, they acted dumb and denied knowing anything about the problems.  I did an internet search and found many complaints from other users that were identical to mine (see below).

The Thinkpad Model W510 will not run any operating system.  In addition, the memory overheats after running memtest for 24 hours. Althoug Memtest came back ok, the temperature in the memory area was in excess of 107 degrees.  In addition, the processor and the transformer were not after only four hours of use.  I did not run games or anything weird.

Finally Lenovo picked up the laptop and a few days later I received a message from Lenovo suggesting that the laptop had been tested and nothing was found wrong.  The message indicates a number of bench marks that had nothing to do with the problem I complained about.

Subsequently I complained to Lenovo, but they stopped responding to my emails and phone calls.  Finally I received a response from the repair facility indicating they got the laptop back and wanted to ship it to me.  They indicated they had changed out a motherboard, so I asked them to send me an email confirming this before sending the laptop.  Immediately the repair facility said they could not do this and that they would contact Lenovo.  I found this to be really strange and it doesn't look like the repair facility has fixed anything.

Today I don't have my laptop, and I don't have my $1461.00 that was paid to Lenovo.  I have sent two letters to Yuanqing Yang, CEO for Lenovo and I have requested that they refund my money in full or provide me a working and functioning laptop.  I have had no response.

I can not recommend this company to anyone.  They don't stand behind their warranties and their laptop is a pile of jump.  Their monitors are a cheap 500:1 contrast ratio with numerous engineering problems.  No heat sinked DDR3 memory. I am wondering if their transformer is under watted because it was so hot after only a short amount of time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/27/2011 11:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lenovo/Morrisville-North-Carolina-27560/Lenovo-Yuanqing-Yang-Kevin-Hooper-Neha-Nirmal-Jain-Ewell-Lammy-DIVYA-B-S-Thinkpad-Mode-700526. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lenovo