Complaint Review: Lenovo

• Updated: Thu, July 17, 2014

• Reported By: xlami — San Jose California
Lenovo
Nationwide USA

Lenovo steals from their customers when their laptop hard drives die San Jose, California Nationwide

*Author of original report: Not Common

*Consumer Comment: User Guide

*Consumer Comment: Common

I bought a brand new Lenovo Z580 laptop. I asked for reinstall disk when I purchased the laptop. I was told I did not need one for system reinstallation. My hard drive died after about 2 years. I bought a new hard drive. After I installed it, it turned out that I did need lenovo installation media to recover the system. I called Lenovo customer service, I was told that I have to pay $89 for the disk. I should NOT have to pay $89 for somthing I've already bought.

This is unfair practice and I'll never buy Lenovo again!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2014 11:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lenovo/nationwide/Lenovo-steals-from-their-customers-when-their-laptop-hard-drives-die-San-Jose-California-1149814. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lenovo

Not Common

AUTHOR: xlami - ()

I don't think recovery disk costs much. To manufacture it is almost just the disk itself. Maybe it costs $2. "Unless the hard drive goes bad,..." is not a good excuse, since it is not unusual that hard drive goes bad. To rely on consumers to make recovery disk is not a good practice since many of them may not do it correctly and there is no way to know if it is done correctly until your hard drive is actually broken. The previous reply by ramjet sounds like someone from the manufacture. I am going to complain this practice to BBB and spread the words to many of the online retailer sites.

TO CHARGE $89 FOR A RECOVERY DISK CONTAINING SOFTWARE I'VE ALREADY BOUGHT IS A RIPOFF.

DON'T BUY LENOVO!

User Guide

AUTHOR: coast - ()

Pages 30 & 31 of the user guide contain directions on how to create system recovery discs. Did you fail to read or just fail to follow the directions?

Common

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

Because people want cheaper and cheaper computers, something has to go when prices are ever lower.  One of those things is recovery disks.  Many, if not all, computers do not come with recovery disks anymore.  Unless the hard drive goes bad, you can recover completely from a hidden partition on you hard drive.  This is accessed with a few keystrokes which are different for different companies.

If the hard drive goes bad you have to reload from external media.  Computer manufacturers include instructions for creating a set of recovery CD's/DVD's/Flash drives that you can recover from if your drive goes bad.

If you neglected to create a backup image, you probably will have to purchase a set from the manufacturer.

Of course this all assumes you have kept all of your data, files, videos, graphics etc. backed up separately.

I know my new HP laptop and desktop work this way, my wife's Lenovo does too.

A pain, but that's the way things are in the computer world these days.

Your seller was correct, you do not need a recovery disk from the manufacturer if you have done the image creation yourself as instructed.

Not a ripoff.

Which reminds me, I have not created an image for my new HP laptop.  I'm on my way now to get it done :-)