Complaint Review: Les Schwab

• Updated: Sat, November 06, 2010

• Reported By: spacecruiser69 — Seattle Washington United States of America
Les Schwab
12215 Aurora Avenue North Internet United States of America

Les Schwab sold Me 8 Year old winter tires ss "brand new, top of the line", Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: OVER PRICE

*Consumer Comment: info for the future

2 days ago I wanted to have my two season-old winter tires put on my car but the tire store I went to advised against using them as they are 10 years of age.    I bought these tires "new" only two seasons ago (at the same company but different dealership location). So two years ago I was sold 8 year old tires! Back then I was told they were "state of the art", "best you can get".   Luckily the tires where checked for age this time around before they were mounted on the car

I found out that after even 5-6 years the rubber is no longer as flexible as it was when new and that it could be dangerous to use tires that are older than 6 years.. .

So I called the company's headquarters and complained. They told me they would call the dealership that was changing my tires to find out more about the old tires...

One hour later I received a call from that dealership and they told me they would give me a set of brand new (6 months old) tires because they "did not want to open a can of worms" here.

Ok, so now I get 6 month old "top of the line" tires --which I should have gotten two years ago anyways--but I am still feeling that I was wronged here and that I should do something about this.

I read reports online about fatal accidents caused by old (supposedly "new") tires.
The dealer from whom I bought the tires 2 years ago knew what he was selling me and he put my live in danger. He may be doing this to other customers as well... Selling 8 year old tires is reckless in my opinion.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2010 05:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Les-Schwab/internet/Les-Schwab-sold-Me-8-Year-old-winter-tires-ss-brand-new-top-of-the-line-Internet-649498. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Les Schwab

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

OVER PRICE

AUTHOR: Madman - (USA)

AS A FORMER EMPLOYEE I WAS TOLD AS FOR MY FELLOW WORKERS TO SELL SIPING TO ALL CUSTOMERS. LES SCHWAB AS FOR OTHER COMPANIES THAT DO SIPING MAKE A MAJOR PROFIT FOR THE UPSELL.  DON'T DO IT ON DUALLY TRUCKS AS FOR DIESALS IT WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE OF YOUR TIRES. BEFORE GETTING TRAPPED INTO GETTING IT DONE READ UP ON IT. ALL EMPLOYEES WHO ARE LIFERS THAT HAVE  BEEN SUCKED/BRAIN WASHED WILL DEFEND THIS TILL THEY DIE. LOOK DEEP INTO THIS COMPANY NO ASIAN/BLACK/HISPANICS/MIDDLE EASTERNS/ ARE IN UPPER MANAGEMENTS/CEO.

AS FOR THE SO CALLED FREE ROAD HAZARD IT'S NOT FREE INCLUDED IN THE TIRE PRICING. THEY DON'T DO PRICE COMPETING EITHER DO TO THE FACT OF LOOSING MONEY AND THEIR BONUSES/ DIVIDENS THAT GOES TO ALL EMPLOYEES IN APRIL AND MAY OF THE FELLOWING YEAR FROM THE LOWEST TO THE HIGHEST. BONUS RANGE FROM 2500-45,000 DEPANDING ON HOW MUCH THE STORE MAKES AND HOW MANNY SHARES EACH WORKERS HAS.

EXAMPLE 3 SHARE PERSON WOULD MAKE 7500 DOLLARS IF EACH SHARE WAS 2500 DOLLARS A PERSON.

THEY DON'T HAVE BROCHURES FOR ANY OF THEIR TIRES THEY SELL THEY'RE HIDING THE TRUTH FROM EMPLOYEES AS CONSUMERS.

TRUE STORY THE FOUNDER LES HIMSELF USE TO WORK FOR OK TIRES WHICH WAS PART OF BIG O AS OTHER SMALLER TIRE CHAINS LIKE TIRE KINGDOM AND TBC ETC.

AS FOR THE RUNNING TO CARS TO MEET CUSTOMERS IT IS STARTING TO BE LACKING DUE TO THE FOUNDER PASSING . ALL THEY WANT TO DO NOW IS MAKE MAJOR PROFIT. SELL SELL SELL ANY THING ANY WAY TO GET YOUR HARD EARN DOLLARS.

USE TIRES THAT ARE TAKEN OFF CUSTOMERS CARS ARE A MAJOR PROFIT FOR LES SCHWAB TOO SINCE THEY DIDN'T PAY FOR IT. USE TIRE CODING SO YOU KNOW NOT TO GET RIPPED OFF. EXAMPLE 38545-FIRST 3 # IS STORE 45 IS PRICING OF TIRE(S)MAY INCLUDE BALANCE MOST TIME NO. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THE MANUFACTORING DATE CODE ON THE USE TIRE(S) BEFORE BUYING IT. DATE CODE IS THE LAST 4 NUMBERS FOLLOWING LETTERS.

ANOTHER MAJOR UP SELL THEY HAVE IS REPLACING CALIPERS AND ROTORS WITH EVERY BRAKE JOB( THEY CLAIM IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO DO THE JOB). ONLY TIME CALIPERS NEED TO BE REPLACED/REBUILT IS THE DUST BOOTS OR SEAL WORN/DAMAGED. THE DUST BOOT RETRACTS THE PISTON BACK INTO THE CALIPER HOUSING AFTER YOU RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL. IF THEY TELL YOU OR SHOW YOU A SO CALL CALIPER HANG UP OR HARD TURNING WHEEL GET SECOND OPINION BEFORE DOING JOB. I BET MY PAY CHECK ON THE NEW CALIPER DO THE SAME THING

HANG UP IS 90% OF THE TIME FROM THE BRAKE HOSE OR ELSEWHERE.
THEY WILL SELL YOU YOUR OLD CALIPERS WITH NEW PADS SO THEY CAN WARRANTY YOUR BRAKE JOB FOR 3 YEARS 25,000 MILES NOW THAT IS A RIP OFF. AGAIN POLICY REMANUFACTORS CALIPERS OR REBUILD IF NO REMANUFACTORS AVAIL. THIS POLICY BEEN E-MAILED TO ALL MANAGERS FROM  PURCHASING DEPT SEVERAL YEARS BACK. SOME STORES LIKE MY FORMER STORE LOCATED IN EDMONDS WA. WILL SELL YOU SOMETHING AND WRITE ON YOUR INVOICE SAYING NO WARRANTY. LOOK AT THEIR ADD AND WRITTEN POLICY (IF WE CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WE WON'T SELL IT) IF YOU BEEN SUCKER INTO SOMETHING LIKE THIS GO AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK

I WAS TOLD BY MY FORMER AST. MANGER TO WORK ON A VECHILE WHICH I KNEW NEEDED BRAKES DUE TO AXLE SEALS LEAKING GEAR OIL ALL OVER THE BRAKE SHOES AND NOT STOPPING WELL. I GAVE THE CUSTOMER A PRICE TO DO IT CORRECTLY.CUSTOMER DIDN'T LIKE THE PRICE SO IN ORDER TO MAKE A SALE MY AST. MANAGER TOLD ME TO DO IT WITH OUT THE SEALS BEING FIXED. I REFUSED TO DO IT. I TOLD HIM FIX IT CORRECLY OR NOT AT ALL HE TOLD ME HE WILL WRITE ON INVOICE STATING NO WARRANTY- I MENTION THATS NOT OUR POLICY. HE WENT AND GOT HIS FRIEND WHO WAS A TECH HE CAME BACK I TOLD HIM THE REASON SO HE

AND I AS FOR ANOTHER WORKER ADJUSTED THE BRAKES AND BLED THE BRAKE LINE TO SEE IF ANY AIR- SURE ENOUGH THE VECHILE HAD STOPPING POWER, WE LET THE CUSTOMER LEAVE WITH THE REAR BRAKES THE WAY IT WAS. GUESS WHO GOT THE DIRTY END OF THE DEAL.

I DID AS SOON AS IT GOT KINDA SLOW I GOT LET GO BECAUSE I STOOD UP FOR THE CUSTOMERS RIGHT. I HAD RACIAL REMARKS MADE TOWARDS ME AT THEIR SISTER STORE WHICH IS LOCATED IN NORTH CITY SHORELINE, THEY TRANSFER ME AND KEPT HIM. KINDA STRANGE HUH-FRIENDS TO MANAGEMENT GETS SPECIAL TREATMENT AT THESE TWO STORES.

NOT ALL MANAGERS ARE SHADY JUST SOME IN THIS COMPANY.

info for the future

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Most tired brands indicate the year on a sidewall mark. There is typically 8 digits or more on the print. The last 4 digits represent the week of the year and the year. "3609" means 36th week of 2009.

I know that's not common knowledge, but may be helpful for the future.