Lexington Humane Society Supervisor refuses to take cash money for an unclaimed pet after its "3 day hold time" was up.
I have been looking for a "neighborhood cat" that myself and others have been leaving food for for some time that has went missing. (posted here (craiglist) under Lost Mother Cat, HAS KITTENS). After making my way to their facility (since they refuse to answer their phone as usual) and taking a walkthrough, I spotted a cat that looked very much like the one missing. I was informed that this was the last day of the cat's "hold time". I was very relieved to have found the cat in time, and since it was now approaching 6pm and the cat was still unclaimed, didn't think it would be such a hassle to save this cat. Was I in for a shock.
First I was informed if this was a stray cat I couldn't be 100% sure it was the one I was looking for. [continued below]....
..... I told them no problem I would pay their "fees" of close to $200 and take my chances, the cat was friendly with me and I liked it, besides as mentioned before no one else has claimed it and it is now 6pm.
Next I was told the cat "could be pregnant" or maybe she had a firm stomach "because she had just eaten" they didn't really know, but if she was pregnant the kittens would have to be "taken out of her" before she could be released. I informed them that if the cat was indeed pregnant, I would take responsibility, NO PROBLEM.
Then I was hit with the "What if you take the cat home and it scratches you, or you are unhappy with it?" line. "Are you just going to turn the cat loose?" I told them I know about cats, the cat was very friendly with me in the lockdown, and I certainly wouldn't be turning a cat loose that I just paid close to $200 to obtain. Their response was basically "all the cats are friendly in the lockdown".
Ultimately I was told that they wouldn't feel right giving me the cat seeing as though it wasn't 100% ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY SURE, that this was the STRAY UNCLAIMED CAT that I had been looking for. And it could be possible the cat could scratch me or could have health issues that it wasn't tested for yet. EVEN after telling them again NO PROBLEM!
I was told my best bet would be to wait and see if the cat made it through it's evaluation and try to get the cat afterwards. I will keep my fingers crossed as the cat is pretty skinny and if the cat is pregnant, the kittens "will have to be taken out" first. Plus the additional wait time for a spaying, and of course there will be no way to keep a check on her or know which location she would be sent to when put up for adoption.
Can someone tell me WHAT GOOD THIS ORGANIZATION DOES?
This is why I ABSOLUTELY WILL NEVER DONATE A DIME TO THIS SHAM, as well as tell all my friends with pets to not license them.
These people are already listed on the ripoffreport website, and I will be adding to it.
p.s. I noticed on their wall that if you lose a pet, it is listed as an OFFENSE??? what is that about?
p.s.s I had recently found a male tomcat myself and was thinking about bringing it in do a microchip scan, (if it had one). Needless to say I won't be doing that now because God knows what kind of ordeal that could turn into.