Complaint Review: Lexington Humane Society

• Updated: Fri, March 25, 2011

• Reported By: anonymous — Lexington Kentucky United States of America
Lexington Humane Society
1600 Old Frankfort Pike lexington, Kentucky United States of America

Lexington Humane Society Adopted a young kitten in January and it was sick almost from the start. lexington, Kentucky

*Consumer Suggestion: Inhumane Society

In January I adopted a kitten for my family from their satellite adoption center inside Petsmart.  The kitten sneezed from the start but with it being spayed the day before I associated this with the tube  they use when under anesthesia for her surgery.  It could have irritated her throat.   After about 3 days the sneezing started to become worse and the kitten started experiencing diarrhea.  I took her to the vet and they ran some tests on her and gave her a shot for an upper respiratory infection, and two shots for the diarrhea.

The vet I used was located within Petsmart also so I walked over to the Adoption Center and explained that I just left the vet and what they diagnosed my kitten with an upper respiratory infection and explained that that one visit cost me over 200.00.  The young girl at the adoption center told me "I'm sorry but it isn't unusual to take home an animal with an upper respiratory infection from here."  Well another week passed and the kitten was not getting any better so I returned to the same vet.  After examining the kitten again I was told that most likely the kitten had Giardia and it was spreading through the Humane Society.

Treatment was going to cost me about 300.00 - 400.00 more and I'm sorry I wasn't going to invest that much more into a young kitten that I was afraid that was going to make our other cat sick.  I took the kitten back to the Adoption Center and explained what was going on and the girl told me that I would have to go to their main office if I chose not to keep the kitten.  I drove to the Humane Society's main office where I explained all that I had been through with this poor kitten and the amount I had spent and the estimate of how much it would cost to treat her.  I had to fill out all kinds of paperwork and can not adopt from the Lexington Humane Society for another year.

As if I want to.  After I filled out my paperwork and relinquished my kitten I walked into their front office to look at the kittens that were up for adoption and I promise you the majority of the kittens were sick with runny bottoms and gooked up eyes.  I went to the front desk and told the lady about the sick kittens and she acted as if it were a shock that they were ill.  Two weeks later I'm in Petsmart and my sick kitten is up for adoption - again- and she was still sick because her eyes were matted close! Do not adopt from the Lexington Humane Society unless you have very deep pockets to pay for the vet bills that you will surely incur.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2011 08:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lexington-Humane-Society/lexington-Kentucky-40504/Lexington-Humane-Society-Adopted-a-young-kitten-in-January-and-it-was-sick-almost-from-th-709945. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lexington Humane Society

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Inhumane Society

AUTHOR: jackie - (United States of America)

I think the "upper respiratory" thing is nothing but a big money making sham for local "veterinarians".  They always make a big deal out of anything and want you to give them a several hundred dollar handout.  Ive seen many a cat with alot of sneezing coughing etc.  and in time they always get better without being drugged up.

Besides being crammed in jail with several hundred other "inmates" is bound to take a toll on your esteem and health and I doubt this place is very hygenic.

I knew someone who wanted to adopt one of the few "unsneezing" cats they had and they gave him a hard time.  I really think they prefer you adopt a cat with a cold so you can go spend hundreds at one of the local vets theyre in cahoots with.

Keep the cat out of the bathroom while youre showering and he'll get better quicker.  I actually knew of a vet that was encouraging people to take their cat in the bathroom while showering.

Also dont fall for all that flea medicine theyre pushing.  Just get a cheapo flea collar and your pet will thank you for it!

The longest living pets I know of rarely (if ever) see a vet.  And as one poster noted, its better to go out of town.

Remember cats are naturally pretty tough creatures.