Complaint Review: Lexmark International

• Updated: Thu, March 24, 2011

• Reported By: the waz — Whiting New Jersey United States of America
Lexmark International
740 New Circle Rd. NW Lexington, Kentucky United States of America

Lexmark International New Printer firmware download keeps us hostage Lexington, Kentucky

*Consumer Suggestion: Lexmark REALLY REALLY REALLY...SUX! REALLY!

My moniter came up with a pop-up when I went to print announcing "Lexmark Printer Firmware Update - click here"

I clicked, and it downloaded. But, every time I went to print, it came up again. So, I downloaded again. This went on
for days, until I looked in "Downloads" and found it seven times. I
double-clicked on one of them, and it asked if I wanted to accept the
upgrade, and I did.

BUT, there was NO warning that from this day on I could NEVER use second-party ink
cartridges in my Lexmark printer, ONLY LEXMARK MANUFACTURED AND BRANDED
INK!

What do I do with the nine cartridges made by LD??  They always worked before. Now they just sit in their original packaging, useless.

And, one CANNOT undo the download, even by uninstalling the Lexmark printer and
re-installing, because it's a FIRMWARE upgrade. A new printer would be
cheaper, at thid point (even tho the Lexmark is only 6-months old).

Oh, but Lexmark will give me 15% off my next order of "genuine Lexmark Ink! That should cover postage!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2011 02:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lexmark-International/Lexington-Kentucky-40550/Lexmark-International-New-Printer-firmware-download-keeps-us-hostage-Lexington-Kentucky-709805. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lexmark International

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Lexmark REALLY REALLY REALLY...SUX! REALLY!

AUTHOR: Lesley Wolfgang Jackson - (United States of America)

No Kidding.

I only have a Lexmark printer because someone left one behind in an apartment I rented.  That should say alot right there.  After realizing how sucky it really was, I decided to purchase a new one at a local store then throw this 1st sucky one in the box and get a refund.  So my new one x2690 (read the reviews on the net for yourself) comes from the factory with ONLY a color cartridge that runs out quickly.  Have to buy your own b/w cartridge. (smart thinking lexmark).  Not only that but the software really really sucks too and images scanned are often jumbled.

I buy my ink from the net because lexmark (as sucky as they are) will never see a dime from me.They also have it setup like you say to make it a real pain in the ass to use ink not bought from them.  But I get around that.

Lexmark you truly REALLY REALLY REALLY SUK!  Thank you RIPOFFREPORT!