Complaint Review: Liberty Benefits Group

• Submitted: Mon, February 07, 2005
  • Updated: Wed, February 16, 2005

• Reported By:Wilmington Delaware
Liberty Benefits Group
PO Box West Lebenon, New Hampshire U.S.A.

Liberty Benefits Group - West Lebenon, NH Scammed me by telling me they work with Visa and Mastercard when in fact they do not offer any type of credit card, actually operating out of Canada, new location for Canadian rip-offs to Americans. West Lebenon New Hampshire *EDitor's suggestion on how to get your money back for fraudulent charges to your bank account.

*Author of original report: Received my Refund

On December 23, 2004 I received a call on my cell phone from Liberty Benefits Group. Being in the process of cleaning my credit report up I figured I would hear them out.

The man told me that it would cost $299.99 to get my credit back in shape. I have been thinking that I better take an offer to work on putting positive credit reporting on my credit report while paying off other small balances.

He specifically asked me if I would prefer Visa or MasterCard. After some discussion of how I was going to get a credit card, not a magazine only to order from he then transferred me to the confirmation department.

The man on the phone this time said that he would be asking me a series of questions, and should I have a question to ask but the questioning would have to start from the beginning. There can be no breaks (probably a time limit - I do not know). While asking me to verify the basics - name, address, etc... he then started talking about a package I would get in the mail. I cut him off, he had to stop the recording to answer my questions. I asked him "this is a credit card right? I do not want to get a brochure on how to order stuff with a certain credit limit - I want to be able to go to a store and use this credit card otherwise I am not interested. I said to him that like I told the previous gentleman, I would like Visa. He said that is what it is, let's start from the beginning.

We went through the whole process again answering all the questions. The recording stopped and he said thank you for your order you should receive the package within 4-6 weeks.

The money was withdrawn from my account on December 28. I initially thought I was told it would be withdrawn on January 22 by the first caller (I wonder why he asked how much money I had in my checking account at that time - now I know). I was so angry and felt that I had been scammed from this moment that I asked to cancel everything. The company stated that I had to wait until I received the package in the mail. Oh, did I tell you....this company I am talking about will not give me their name - they are a customer service department that works for 15-20 companies. They also would not give me anything but Liberty Benefits Groups mailing address.

After receiving the package I immediately called to let them know I have the package and would like my refund. The man said that he will put the request in for me. I called back two days later and was told that I was denied. This woman helping me was pleasent, made me feel that my feelings were true - that I was misled. She said she would put my complaint in again stating what I stated above and that I would have to call back in a 5 days to get the results. I asked if I should mail the package back and she said that I did not have to. I did call back, and again denied. I was so angry I demanded to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor was not much help he was as rude as the other employees I spoke to were.

Because Liberty Benefits Group had my recording stating that they could withdraw monies from my checking account for a package I will not see the money - ever!

My plan is to write to the Better Business Bureau, Visa, MasterCard, Attorney Generals Office, and possibly get a local paper or News Station in New Hampshire to do a story on this company. I am going to fight this as long as it takes me. I do not want to hear about someone else going through this ever!

Barbara
Wilmington, Delaware

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Liberty Benefits

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!

HERE IS WHAT RIP-OFF REPORT SUGGESTS YOU DO:

Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish you file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 # , and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off Report.com. And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/comptroller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder, Rip-off Report.com & Author of www.ripoffrevenge.com
EDitor@RipoffReport.com
badbusinessbureau.com
www.ripoffreport.com

Don't let them get away with it.
Make sure they make the Rip-off Report!

We are not lawyers.
We are not a collection agency.

We are Consumer Advocates.
...the victims' advocate

WE are Civil and Human Rights Activists

We are a Worldwide Consumer Reporting News Agency
...by consumers, for consumers

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2005 12:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Liberty-Benefits-Group/West-Lebenon-New-Hampshire/Liberty-Benefits-Group-West-Lebenon-NH-Scammed-me-by-telling-me-they-work-with-Visa-and-130369. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Liberty Benefits Group

Received my Refund

AUTHOR: Barbara - (U.S.A.)

On Feb 7, 2005 I received a call from the customer service department that is contract by Libery Benefits Group. This time it was a manager who stated she was shocked to see the size of my file. She said she did not even read all of it, but was sorry for everything I went through. She said that they were going to refund the money to my account within the next 2-3 business days. I let her know everything that I went through and she agreed that it did not sound right at all. Liberty Benefits Group just signed a contract with this company and she was going to make sure that the contract/company get a closer review. I informed her of this website, in fact I told her to google "complaints against Liberty Benefits Group". The money was put into my account 2 days after the phone call, I closed that account, informed my bank of the situation and now I am happy.

To whomever reads this, do not take no for an answer, keep calling and make sure you get the persons name you are speaking with, their extension or employee number. Let them know all the actions that you are going to take, and take them! I did get the e-mail off to Visa and a phone call to Mastercard.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC