Complaint Review: Lifetime Fitness

• Reported By: Chris Burns — Palos Park Illinois United States of America
Lifetime Fitness
Burr Ridge , Illinois Burr Ridge, Illinois United States of America

Lifetime Fitness Overbilling Burr Ridge, Illinois

I became a member of Lifetime Fitness at the suggestion of one of their trainers, Adam Crothers.  I had previously trained with Adam at another health club and trusted his judgement about Lifetime Fitness, so I joined. I made it clear that I would only be a member for about 4 months as I was moving out of state.  My problems began when I verbally canceled my membership with a person named Brian in late March. I made it clear that I only wished my membership to continue through the month of April 2012. He assured me that all was taken care of in regards to cancelling my membership.

In May I noticed that Lifetime was still auto-charging my credit card. I called immediately to rectify the situation and spoke to Brian again. He acknowledged our previoius conversation and said that he would take care of it. I June I noticed that Lifetime had charged me again and so I called them again. I asked for Brian and he would not take my calll. The rep that answered stated that there was no notation on my account that I had ever tried to cancel my membership. I asked for a supervisor who stated the same; that there was no proof that I had ever tried to cancel my account. It wasn't until I asked my credit card to dispute the charges that Lifetime Fitness responded to my complaints. They stated that according to them, they had no record of me cancelling my membership and that they would charge me until the end of July and then my membership would be cancelled. I also argued that my trainer Adam Crothers could verify that I was moving and that they might consider asking him to verify this. They either did not bother to or did not care to verify this information.

At a rate of $80.00 a month, their incompetence cost me a total of $240.00. My credit card company told that there was nothing that I could do and was liable for the charges. Lifetime had produced a page of the conttact (fine print) that stated that they were not liable for any verbal statement made by any employee. I would strongly suggest that if anybody were to join this health club and decide to quit, do not leave that building without  a written document confirming that the membership has been canceled. I am out of Illinois now and have no way to reslove this, but I can warn others to beware of Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge, Illinois!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/20/2012 09:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lifetime-Fitness/Burr-Ridge-Illinois-/Lifetime-Fitness-Overbilling-Burr-Ridge-Illinois-944033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lifetime Fitness