Complaint Review: Live Technician

• Updated: Sun, June 16, 2013

• Reported By: ogin — san francisco California
Live Technician
Internet USA

Live Technician Claimed there had been a security breach on my computer when none existed and charged me $100 to "fix" it Internet

I called Live Technician's becasue I received a suspicious text. They ran a diagnostic and told me there had been a breach and that someone had put surveilance /monitoring viruses on my computer and it should be fixed immediately or else my personal information could be stolen.

They then charged me $100 dollars and began remotely cleaning my computer. I immediately called someone becasue I was feeling a little uncomfortable and they told me to stop it immediately so I disconnected my internet. At this point Live Technician had been "fixing my computer" for about 5-8 minutes, but disconnecting the internet stopped them in the middle of what they said would be a 30-40 min procedure.

A few minutes later they called me to say they had finished and that everything was cleaned up. I then asked the technician to tell me exactly what he had found on my computer and he said, "some registery files were damaged and there was a harmful xmas.bat file on your computer, but they are fixed now." Well, it turns out Apple computers dont have registry files and that .bat files cant run on them either.

When I called the company on this they kept saying that they had run CleanMyMac and fixed my computer, which isn't possible since they were disconnected from my computer after only a few minutes. Furthermore, they wont address the fact that they lied to me about .bat files and registry files and continue to talk in circuitous language, and they so far refuse to reimburse me.

While they may fix existing problems I believe this company will just as readily fabricate a problem and say alarming things to get a customer to use their service.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2013 09:58 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Live-Technician/internet/Live-Technician-Claimed-there-had-been-a-security-breach-on-my-computer-when-none-existed-1059543. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Live Technician