Complaint Review: Loan Depot

• Updated: Sun, December 23, 2012

• Reported By: Sid Viscous — Compton California United States of America
Loan Depot
26642 Towne Centre Drive Foothills Ranch, California United States of America

Loan Depot Horrible customer service after deposit is received, deceptive business practices Foothills Ranch, California

LoanDepot first contacted me after I had used a refinancing calculator online. The salesman was very helpful at first and quick to follow up. Based on all of our initial discussions, I was advised a $395 deposit would be required to lock in the interest rate quoted (for 90 days  or so) and also to pay for a full home appraisal. The value determined from the home appraisal would determine whether or not LoanDepot would fund the loan and also whether or not I would need to pay mortgage insurance. The salesman even recommended that I walk the appraiser through the house, noting all improvements that I had made.

I had provided my credit card and the $395 deposit was charged. After this, it was very difficult to reach LoanDepot by phone or email. A week or so afterwards, I did reach someone from LoanDepot who advised a "drive by" appraisal had already been
performed, and it had appraised at a ridiculously low amount. I was very familiar with the comps in my area, and this appraisal was not even close.

I placed several calls and emails to my contact who I eventually reached after a few days; he explained there had been an internal mistake and he had no idea why a drive by appraisal was performed. He was going to have the full appraisal ordered ASAP and someone would be in touch with me to set up a time. 1 week later no reply, I call LoanDepot again (shouldn't they be calling me to provide an update as I am their customer??), and they advise they have no control over when the
appraisers contact me. At this point I escalate to the supervisor who assures me he will be in touch with me the following morning. Next day, no call, so I need to chase the supervisor by email and voicemail. A couple days later, he returns my call and says a full appraisal did not apply for my loan!!!! This certainly conflicted with all previous discussions. I wrote him a summary of my experience and said that if I did not have my $395 refunded, I would take legal action and report them to the BBB. He returned my call and assured me an appraiser would be in touch within a few days. Once the appraiser did contact me to set up an appointment, the first available time they had was AFTER the lock in period expired, so my initial quote would no longer be valid. I had enough of LoanDepot at this point so I called the supervisor and asked for a refund. He said it would be refunded ASAP.
A few days later, still no refund to my credit card and he would not answer calls or reply to my emails (luckily I recorded our phone conversation where he agreed to refund the $395). At this point I called my credit card company and had them reverse the charge which they did. Still no word back from LoanDepot and its been several months.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/23/2012 02:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Loan-Depot/Foothills-Ranch-California-92610/Loan-Depot-Horrible-customer-service-after-deposit-is-received-deceptive-business-practi-986313. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Loan Depot