Complaint Review: "Local Records Office"

• Submitted: Sun, July 22, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, July 22, 2012

• Reported By: Tracey — Elgin Illinois United States of America
"Local Records Office"
3420 Veterans Dr. #321 Pekin, Illinois United States of America

"Local Records Office" official-looking real estate/government correspondence Pekin, Illinois

Received "official-looking" envelope from company calling themselves the Local Records Office.  The form inside contained my name, address, purchase date and property ID number for the house I recently bought.  Although there was a statement in the report that they are "not affiliated with the county in which your deed is filed nor with any government agencies", the detachable billing coupon to be submitted with my check for $89 misleads me to believe I must pay them in order to research and receive "the only document that identifies me as the property owner of ... (my address) ..."

It is fortunate I have my wits about me, as someone who was not paying as close attention (or who was more trusting, perhaps), would have sent a check to this bogus company.  The info on this form was free from a public records search.  It should not be legal to send forms like this to unsuspecting real estate owners.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2012 01:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Local-Records-Office/Pekin-Illinois-61554/Local-Records-Office-official-looking-real-estategovernment-correspondence-Pekin-Illi-915749. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on "Local Records Office"