Complaint Review: Lochinvar Corporation

• Submitted: Mon, February 13, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, April 15, 2014

• Reported By: unhappy Lochinvar Client — Somerset Massachusetts United States of America
Lochinvar Corporation
300 Maddox Simpson Parkway Internet United States of America

Lochinvar Corporation Beware of Warranty and Reliability Lochinvar's Knight Boilers Internet

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: Lochinvar No Warranty

*General Comment: Boilerman

I had 2 Lochinvar Knight Boilers installed in my 2 family home 2 years ago and 1 of the 2 units has been nothing but problems since I had it installed. Each year since it was installed it has gone out of service and I have had to have a technician come by to service it. When it first when into service the main PC board on the unit went down within 30 days, it also went down an additional 2 times that year until the technician was able to finish troubleshooting it. In the mean time my heat was working on and off until he finished it. The next year it came up with service code errors, followed by this year the main fan in the unit went out and I was forced to pay an additional $900 to have it fixed. The units costed approx $8,000 each installed as they were advertised as the latest and greatest.

When compared to $4,000 each for the basic run of the mill boiler I paid 2x as much for a product that keeps breaking. I thought these units being over 90 percent efficent would save me money but infact they have done nothing but cost me money since they got put in as they are service nightmares.

To make the situation worse I contacted Lochinvar to see if they could help me with this last repair and they refused. Flat out just no not even a discount on parts. I feel I will  never realize the savings on the heating costs because these units constanatly break and will cost me more in service then I will save. In addition Lochivar does not stand behind their products and if your installer reccomends one of these units ask for something else unless you want to keep his number on speedial everytime it goes down as I do.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/13/2012 02:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lochinvar-Corporation/internet/Lochinvar-Corporation-Beware-of-Warranty-and-Reliability-Lochinvars-Knight-Boilers-Inter-838493. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lochinvar Corporation

#1 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

Lochinvar No Warranty

AUTHOR: Judd - ()

Work for a mechanical contractor and we have heat exchanger issues with lochinvar boiler heat exchangers going out within 1 1\2 years of being installed as per specs laid out in manual and they will not honor their warranty. Company has been going back and forth with lochinvar since July. All we install is Lochinvar and we have done alot of them over the years. If you want a company that stands by their warranty go with WEIL MCLAIN. We have done alot of these also and when something goes wrong with their boilers you make a phone call and the part is shipped no hassle, no charge. Think we are going to step away from Lochinvar until they make some changes in how they treat their customers and contractors who buy alot of boilers from them.

#2 General Comment

Boilerman

AUTHOR: Boilerman - (United States of America)

In reading this report and others about Lochinvar I have to say that I do not agree that the boilers and company are not good. I have been in the heating business for 31 years and have installed or started up hundreds of them. Yes I have had some issues but have gotten them fixed if it was something with the equipment and not the install.

Most of the problems with boilers Lochinvar or any other brand most of the time come from a poor installation and a lack of boiler operating knowledge on the installers part.

The factory can not pay for every mistake that all the plumbing companies make or they would go out of business. I have pointed out problems when I would go start up a boiler or water heater for plumbing companies and the installer would refuse to fix it. I have had them say as long as it last a year. The bad part is I couldn't and still can't make them and that leaves the customer hanging with problems.

I would advise anyone getting a boiler installed or changed out to make sure the company doing it have the proper meters and people who are trained in boiler operation and not just someone who can take it out of the box and pipe it up.

Boilers required special meters to set up and service them as they have come a long way from a flame setting under a tube of water. Ask the company about combustion test, gas pressure test, air pressure set up (all of which should have been done on this model) and if they don't have the meters to do them find someone else. Low price is not always the best way to go.

Had a owner that didn't like my price to replace a boiler this past Christmas when his old boiler went out so he called a plumbing friend to do it and guess what, four days later after they got it installed (I could have done it in one day) they couldn't even get it to light, guess who got the call then, which I refused to go. Proper tools, meters and factory training cost money but that is what it takes to do the job right.

Boilerman