Complaint Review: Lock-N-Key Self Storage

• Submitted: Mon, January 07, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, January 07, 2008

• Reported By:Dublin Ohio
Lock-N-Key Self Storage
3777 E. Main St. Whitehall, Ohio U.S.A.

Lock-N-Key Self Storage Failure to maintain facility (roof leak) resulted in damaged property Whitehall Ohio

I entered into a rental agreement with lock-N-Key Self Storage in August of 2005. My prsonal belongigns have been stored there until now at approximately $100/month. We notified the business in September of 2007 that when we entered our unit, the roof had been leaking and there was standing water in the unit and some of the furniture was damaged (esimated at $2000).

No remedy was made by the company and I made several contacts with both the local manager and with the coporate office since asking for compensation of $1000 (one-half the replacement cost of the furniture). As of October 2007, I canceled automatic rent payment and was locked out of the unit.

As of today, the unit still had not been repaired and so has continued to leak. I was offered $300 less the rent owed provided a signed a release absolving Lock-N-Key of any responsibility and future litigation (amount as of today $67).

I showed the contract to a consumer advocate attorney and she basically confirmed that this business had me sign away all responsibility for my belongings stored in their unit and that I had waived the right to purchase insurance through them.

Why should I have to make a claim against my homeowners insurance because Lock-N-Key failed to maintain their units? The release (that I refused to sign) essentially admitted that my contents had received water damage (we and they have taken pictures to confim this fact as well).

Since I did not sign the release, the back rent is going to be sent to collections and my stuff is going to be put up for auction. I find this whole situation an outrage! Please help!!

Tomkat
Dublin, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2008 01:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lock-N-Key-Self-Storage/Whitehall-Ohio-43213/Lock-N-Key-Self-Storage-Failure-to-maintain-facility-roof-leak-resulted-in-damaged-prope-297650. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lock-N-Key Self Storage