Complaint Review: Los Angeles Recording School

• Updated: Wed, September 04, 2013

• Reported By: mike — San Diego California
Los Angeles Recording School
6690 Sunset BLVD, Hollywood, Ca. Hollywood, California USA

Los Angeles Recording School Los Angeles Film School Bait and Switch. They did not provide what they claimed to offer Hollywood California

The problems I had while attending LARS are almost too numerous to mention. From instructors who refuse to teach and answer questions, to financial aid purposefully neglecting to file my financial aid paperwork in a timely manner. I had two instructors for my first class on logic pro, which was called MIDI.

The instructors point blank told me that they barely knew how to use the software and couldn’t answer any questions I had regarding the software. I was repeatedly told, “they’ll teach you that in advanced midi.” I spent my time in lab that month watching youtube videos of Logic Pro. That was the first class that in my opinion was a waste of money. There are several more stories like this.

A few months later, I’m entering into my 12th month at the recording school and I have Lon Miller’s class. While in Lab on the SSL 9000 and The Neve, I couldn’t see in front of people, nor did I actually get to work on the board until test days. Test days come, and I’m stuck staring at the boards wondering how to turn them on. What was particularly frustrating about this class and the following class, was that my grades went from A’s and B’s to D’s and F’s.

The lab wasn’t available for booking except after 8pm, which was when, I was in the middle of work. Labs were always booked solid on the weekends. I was denied tutoring, hands on experience and felt completely lost for the next several months because of it. I repeatedly sent emails, asked for help, asked for tutoring etc, to not only the staff who taught the classes, but school advisors as well. I was never given tutoring, which my advisor, assured me they did offer. No one would give me a time or place, for help.

Now fast forward a few months to my meeting with my career advisor Donnel Rep, who tells me, to paraphrase, yeah school was hard, but you can’t let it break you down. First of all, I’ve always been among the strongest students, no matter which class I’m in. I’ve held a 3.5 most of my life and enjoy learning. I had never received lower than a “b” prior to attending LARS and if the people who work at this school would have done their jobs, it could have been avoided.

What is most frustrating is being promised things like tutoring, a flexible schedule, studio booking, and respectable job listings and not receiving any of them. It was frustrating to be put in the situation where you pay a few thousand dollars for a class and get nothing out of it.

I felt like this more often than not at this school. In another class, students were teased and bullied to the point that no one would ask questions. The instructor repeatedly called students morons and was generally hostile. On top of this, the instructor was almost always 45-60 minutes late for class.

This was another month I spent teaching myself software using youtube. Not only this, but I left the school, essentially which zero hands on experience in a professional studio, which is the entire reason why I chose LARS in the first place. The schedule was never flexible for me, in fact, I sent the first 6 months having to switch my schedule with people every month because my last name ends in “V” which automatically set me up for late night classes; classes which were difficult to attend because they ended after the bus stopped running.

I realize that no school is going to be perfect, but I also realize that I paid close to 30 grand for an education I did not receive. I was willing to sit in on extra classes, meet at the convenience of the instructors and I spent upwards of 35 hours per week trying to study the boards by watching related videos and reading online manuals.

All of which was useless without the hands on experience I was supposed to receive at LARS. I explained to multiple instructors on a weekly basis that I was having a difficult time absorbing lessons in labs because I was unable to book studios and get practice. I was pulling A’s and B’s in lecture and getting F’s on nearly all lab tests from months 12-15 while basically begging for help from the school . Anyways, I hope this answers some of your questions.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/04/2013 03:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Los-Angeles-Recording-School/Hollywood-California-91601/Los-Angeles-Recording-School-Los-Angeles-Film-School-Bait-and-Switch-They-did-not-provid-1081692. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Los Angeles Recording School