Complaint Review: Lowes Hardware Store

• Submitted: Sat, February 04, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, February 07, 2013

• Reported By: anon — atown Florida United States of America
Lowes Hardware Store
1000 Lowe's Blvd. Mooresville, NC 28117 Mooresville, North Carolina United States of America

Lowes Hardware Store the application process is a crock Mooresville, North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: The process doesn't work

*Consumer Comment: You changed your story

*Author of original report: another person saying i posted answers

*Consumer Comment: A whiner

*Consumer Comment: So....

*Author of original report: another person that made a fool of themself

*Consumer Comment: E - casselberry

*Author of original report: why dont u apply to lowes before you call those who have dirtbags?

*Consumer Comment: No right or wrong answers.

*Consumer Comment: Clearly it works

*Consumer Comment: Take the test.

*Author of original report: what others have to say about the hiring process at Lowes

*Author of original report: so quick to judge ...

*Consumer Comment: Science disagrees with you

*Consumer Comment: Denial...

*Author of original report: Does Psychology Really Matter When Hiring Someone

*Consumer Comment: When someone refers to "the answers" of a test, they mean the right ones...

*Consumer Comment: wipe your nose

*Consumer Comment: What a joke!

*Consumer Comment: LOL.."Where r the answers"?

*Author of original report: where ?

*Author of original report: so it doesn't happen again

*Consumer Comment: You know...

*Consumer Comment: The bottom line.

*Consumer Comment: Lacks motivation, desire to improve, basic skills.

*General Comment: Even more wrong with you...

*Author of original report: -- for sure the test is for the truely desperate

*Consumer Comment: anon

*Consumer Comment: LOL borders??

*Author of original report: consider what others have said about psych tests

*General Comment: Consider this

*Consumer Comment: You already admitted the "Indian" was more qualified than you

*Author of original report: no answers were posted

*Consumer Comment: get over yourself

*General Comment: Well, there's your problem right there.

*Author of original report: the indian was hired before i applied

*Author of original report: This is not your grandfather's or your father's economy !

*Author of original report: the proof is in the conundrum

*General Comment: The test works

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like this narcisstic jerk is unhappy because Lowe's..

*Consumer Comment: I'll give you a hint

*Author of original report: YOu likely DO work at Lowes

*Consumer Comment: Lowe's

*Author of original report: it is a ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Over the top?

*Consumer Comment: So don't apply

The application process at Lowes is way over the top.
A bunch of online personal information is entered and ..... then ..... the 85 question phsychological profile proceeds....
All this for a part time re-stocking position.

The questions:
Discussion:

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2012 07:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lowes-Hardware-Store/Mooresville-North-Carolina-28117/Lowes-Hardware-Store-the-application-process-is-a-crock-Mooresville-North-Carolina-833799. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lowes Hardware Store

The process doesn't work

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

If their hiring process worked I wouldn't constantly be guided to the wrong products by lazy, rude idiots that have no professional knowledge of what they are selling. I am a professional business owner (I own a glass and mirror company) and usually I know what I am looking for and just need guidance as to where in the store things are located. I have asked for their help MANY times and either they have no idea of what I'm looking for in their own department or they take me to wing nuts instead of eye bolts. I have applied to Lowes in the past and have been told, "retail isn't for everyone" when turned down for a position in hardware! Let me tell you some of my background and why the corporate computer interview is asinine. I applied for a position in hardware which is hinges, fasteners (screws, nails, bolts And such). Number one, I went to school and graduated top in my class for machining, tool and die making. Number 2, having been service manager, foreman and installer for other businesses and owner, salesman for my own business, I am hugely qualified! I know and have personally fabricated most of their products including windows (foreman in a window factory) and I cut glass (glazier since I was 19. I'm 43 now)! Also, as foreman at the window company, I interviewed and hired the old fashioned, face to face personal way. Lowes obviously doesn't trust their store managers to make the most competent decision they should be able to make and that is hiring the qualified individual! I understand the people that say "if you can't spend the time to answer a few questions then how are you going to perform at the job" but I, as a professional have experienced the lazy, idiots that they do hire and with all my experience in sales, installation, manufacturing and management I was turned down and told, (by a store manager that can't even remember the '90's that, "retail isn't for everyone" LMFAO!!!

You changed your story

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"a bogus test for something that , even if i complete it"

That statement implied that you did not take the test. You changed your story.

"All this for a part time re-stocking position."

That's better than a full time do nothing position.

Why do you put spaces in front of your question marks, periods and commas? Is it because you are unable to perform basic writing skills? If this is an indication of your reading skills then it is clear as to why you abandoned Lowe's requirements for employment.

another person saying i posted answers

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

i didnt post answers .. the possible answers are there and i dont think anybody even knows the answers .. there is only the best and the worst answer but no A and D EX. answers

A whiner

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

OK, so you took the test and didn't make the cut, someone else did.  It also appears the test works because it filtered out a major whiner who would have certainly been a pain in the ass employee.

Good job Lowe's! I also have had nothing but good experiences at Lowe's.

Good grief, move on. these kind of application tests have been around for a long time.  I took one in the late 1960s when I was looking for a job after getting out of the Navy.  I got the job and worked there for 30 years.

So....

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

this is all because you failed a test?

another person that made a fool of themself

E - casselberry
SUBMITTED: Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"yet she never went through the hiring process"

Neither have you. You vacated the process.

No, I did take the test and fill out every one of the 85 damn question survey .. so .. give me some damn credit for that much !~

E - casselberry

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"yet she never went through the hiring process"

Neither have you. You vacated the process.

why dont u apply to lowes before you call those who have dirtbags?

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

obviously a very shallow person .. she's saying ' iget good service there' ... u guys are dirtbags for complaining about their hiring process.

yet she never went through the hiring process ... what a ding-a-ling....

No right or wrong answers.

AUTHOR: Brian - (United States of America)

I'm not really sure what your complaint is now.  First you were complaining that Lowe's even gave the test at all and now you seem to be complaining that it takes too long to take.  If you want the job, take it.  If you don't want to take it, shut up and move on.

This type of test has no right or wrong answers, only preferred ones.  It's meant to see how you think on your feet in certain situations.   So by posting all the answer selections, you are doing a disservice to Lowe's.  I've gotten great service at my local Lowe's from some very knowledgeable people, so I have to think that it works.

Clearly it works

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

I always get good service at lowe's. So all these complaints about the hiring process are obviously people that couldnt pass the test. Thank you lowe's for not hiring dirtbags!

Take the test.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

If you want the job then, take the test.  It won't hurt and you have nothing to lose.  Sometimes just showing up for the test is an indicator and makes you a candidate.  The answers (the right ones) are listed among the choices.  Sometimes there are no wrong or right answers just indicators of one's ability to handle certain situations.

what others have to say about the hiring process at Lowes

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

I filled out 7 apps online for a local new construction. Was called and told to complete Secondary Survey and call back. Did that -went to interview - told to wait on call to schedule 2nd interview, drug screen, backround check,. They called back several hours later -left message to contact Valerie and schedule 2nd interview. Called back and was told they are still reviewing apps. Repeated this process 4 TIMES (phone tag)Then received a call to schedule 1st interview
(again)When I explained I already had 1st interview she said sorry I  have the wrong list -we will call you in a few days.Went back to "hiring center" and inquired about the confusion and confirm my interest. They apologized and he said he would be in touch that day or the next. Today I received a "we're sorry but thanks for applying" type notice. What went wrong? Why would they call me so many times to follow up and then just disreguard me? Is this typical of Lowe's? Feeling pretty rejected for no reaon at present.

No (20)

Denise in Milton, Florida
43 months ago

I went in for an interview a week ago. Was told it was a long process. Not sure how long they meant. Did they ever call you back?

No (12)

job seeker in Toledo, Ohio

43 months ago

No, they never called. Some time has passed and apparently  my experience was not unique, based on what I've heard from other local applicants. Some that were hired have already quit and the store hasn't even opened yet. I'm not sure what's going on with these guys, if this is indicative of overall procedures by Lowes, or just a jumbled fiasco due to it being a new construction. I'm going to wait several months for the store to get up and running before I reapply. I'ld like to get some feedback from employees working there as well as what it's like to be one of their customers.

Good luck to you.

No (7)

bruce in Salem, New Hampshire

43 months ago

The "survey" they have you take separates the nazi youth and liars from the qualified & honest....and they reject the qualified  & honest! "If a family menber took something from their employer, would you call their supervisor and report them? Yes or No". Adolf hitler used tactics like this to prove "loyalty".

To get hired...you have to LIE THRU YOUR TEETH!

No (11)

sweetthang

43 months ago

Hi. I recently applied at lowes. It took a week and a half 2 get my 1st interview. I took a honesty test on the computer right b4  the manager seen me. When we finished interviewing I took a long fill in the bubble honesty test. She said they were gonna call me soon 4 my 2nd interview. Never called and that was 2 weeks ago. How long does it really take? I'm still waiting 2day! Lowes in chicago on 83rd is very slow at hiring!!!

No (5)

Cochran Van Ramstein

42 months ago

I applied for a job several months ago with Lowe's. I got a call from a recruiter to do a phone screening. She then said that she'd send my info to a hiring manager in my area and that the person would contact me for a face-to-face interview. NEVER GOT THE CALL. I couple months later, I applied online (again) and I got a call from the exact same recruiter as before. I explained what happened and she told me the same thing (that she'd forward my info to someone in the area). This time, I actually got a call. I went in to do the 'tests' both on paper and on the computer. The HR asked me to come in for another 'test' the next week. A day after I took that last test, I got a call for an interview.
I drove about 40 miles to this interview and I ended up being interviewed over the phone while someone at the store where I was interviewing was taking notes. Upon completion, they told me that they'd let me know by Friday (this was a Tuesday).  I never did get a call from Lowe's and I really don't care. I was disgusted that I drove all that way only to be interviewed over the phone. I tried to remain professional and diligent throughout the whole process while Lowe's showed me that the organization is messed up.

No (3)

Bruce in Salem, New Hampshire

42 months ago

"professional and diligent"....Lowes doesn't want that...they want mindless droids! I really liked the question: "Would you work in uncormfortable  conditions, ie: cold, dusty, noisy, windy etc...even if REASONABLE accomodations were not provided?" Translation: Will you let superiors treat you like garbage...and beg for more"? Anyone that answers "Yes" to
that...has ZERO self esteem, and is a prostitute to boot.....but that's the kind of groveling employee that Lowes seeks!

No (10)

Tara in Pearland, Texas
41 months ago

You all are so right! I have applied and even interviewed with these people at the Worksource today. I was told they would call me if the position that I applied for becomes available. I don't think we want to hall off any lumber or any garage door openers lol.

No (2)

anne01 in Louisville, Kentucky

39 months ago

This same thing actually happened to me several years ago back when I was in college looking for some part-time work.
I applied for a Lowes job online, was called to set up an interview and then I went for the appointment. One lady who only spoke with me for a few minutes wasn't very friendly. The actual person I interviewed with was a gentleman who was polite throughout. He had asked me some questions about my experience with hardware and home improvements of which I didn't have any experience, but I was applying for a cashier position -- I figured if I got the job they could train me a little on what products we sold. I told him what I did as a cashier in past places that I worked and answered all the rest of his questions regarding customer service.

I was told towards the end of the interview when I asked a few questions about the position that he couldn't tell me any of that at the time and that I would have to be scheduled for another interview. He said I would hear back from them about the second interview. I never heard from them after that, and having been a cashier at several places prior to Lowes and some of the other places I had applied to back then, it never made a whole lot of sense to me why they never called me back. I think one interview should suffice for a cashier position. Not two.

No (1)

anne01 in midwest

39 months ago

I wanted to add to my statement above about my experience with hardware and home improvements. While I did not have any expertisein those fields, what drew me to Lowes was my interest in learning about the home improvement field. If I had gotten the position, I would have enjoyed learning more about how a home improvement store is run
and how things worked. I would have also enjoyed the valuable work experience I would have gained as an employee of the company.

No (4)

franny girl in Selbyville, Delaware

39 months ago

With the economy being so bad it is unfortunate that people who are desperately seeking employment have to do a real song and dance and wind up feeling incompetant. I've worked all my life and have never been fired or laid off, but they are asking for more credentials and are not willing to train people and pay minimum I WORK AT A JOB THAT IS CLASSIFIED SEASONAL,but when the Season is over your pay drops but you do the same work just not as hectic.

It really isn't fair but who cares. they get the same work for less pay.

bensfather4 in Miami, Florida

38 months ago

I have applied for a sales position at a new Lowes store. About a month ago i visited the hiring office and interviewed with an HR mgr and then a manager, both were successful because they set me up with a third interview with the store manager. That interview was delayed a couple weeks because the store will not be completed as scheduled. My interview with the store manager went well, i hammered  customer service and that i am a people person. I have only homeowners home improvemnemt experience. I was told they had many apps and would hear in two weeks, the store opens in early Feb. I have not been given any type of test yet.

Any comments or suggestions on how this is looking for me?

/ No (4)

Waiting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

35 months ago

I have recently applied at a local Lowes store. Everyone seemed so nice, I was surprised by all of the negitive comments about Lowes I have read. I have too gone through the 3 interviews, tests ect. and am awaiting a call back. I have spoken to the store manager on several occations who continues to remain optimistic about my placement. I am wondering , however, for those of you who have had or currently have a position at Lowes, how long was the interview process. I, dispite what I have read, am looking forward to this new opportunity in managment for Lowes.

/ No (5)

serendipity in Hagerstown, Maryland

34 months ago

I caleed requiring a job, she said she would look at my resume for a cashier position? After hearing all of this I'm not sure if i want to waste my time??????? any comments would be apprecitated!

serendipity in Hagerstown, Maryland

34 months ago

Thank You.

FlyGirl in Gastonia, North Carolina

33 months ago

serendipity in Hagerstown, Maryland said: I caleed requiring a job, she said she would look at my resume for a
cashier position? After hearing all of this I'm not sure if i want to waste my time??????? any comments would be apprecitated! People never write about the positive... only the negative... keep that in mind :)

sweetteacandy in Stevens Point, Wisconsin

33 months ago

Waiting in Plymouth, Massachusetts said: I have recently applied at a local Lowes store. Everyone seemed so
nice, I was surprised by all of the negitive comments about Lowes I have read. I have too gone through the 3 interviews, tests ect. and am awaiting a call back. I have spoken to the store manager on several occations who continues to remain optimistic about my placement. I am wondering , however, for those of you who have had or currently have a position at Lowes, how long was the interview process. I, dispite what I have read, am looking forward to this new opportunity in managment for Lowes. I was hired at lowes in Kenosha last summer. I orginally
applied for a cashier position but because of my experience in sales, I was hired as a Customer Service Associate (CSA) in the Home Decor department. On my first day of work I was left alone and I was a little lost but eventually I was trained in my department. So far, there are things that I am disapointed with, like the lack of professionalism
among associates. People are always in messy business with each other.

For example, Managers cheating on their spouses with subordinate associates. I'm a young person and I don't even have that much drama in my life. They do pay above minimum wage though, and I guess that's ok if you're a college student. Overall, the job is pretty boring and not very rewarding.

racergirl in Vacaville, California

33 months ago

sweetteacandy in Stevens Point, Wisconsin said: I was hired at lowes in Kenosha last summer. I orginally applied for a
cashier position but because of my experience in sales, I was hired as a Customer Service Associate (CSA) in the Home Decor department. On my first day of work I was left alone and I was a little lost but eventually I was trained in my department. So far, there are things that I am disapointed with, like the lack of professionalism among associates. People are always in messy business with each other. For example, Managers cheating on their spouses with subordinate associates. I'm a young person and I don't even have that much drama in my life. They do pay above minimum wage though, and I guess that's ok if you're a college student. Overall, the job is pretty boring and not
very rewarding. Hello, I just recently got hired on in the same way you did. I applied as a cashier and got hired on in the Home Decor Department. I havent started work yet but I was wondering if you could tell me what to expect?? Like what does your job entail?? Thanks!

Jamie in Mesquite, Texas

33 months ago

After spending literally two months solid searching for a new job (every place I applied at gave me the typical run around of "we'll call you" and never actually doing so), I finally decided to apply at Lowe's despite my misgivings about working for another big box store, and a home improvement one at that. I've very limited experience as a cashier, in fact probably only a few month's worth prior, but they gave my application a look and I got an interview. Went in on a Monday after getting the call on Friday and spoke to the HR for my first one after filling out the honesty test (and I was pretty truthful on it). She said my previous work experience was questionable but I assured her it was just my situation at previous jobs that limited my time at them. So she talked to the lead manager for the front end of the store who
then interviewed me. I guess he liked me because I got a third interview right there with the second in command for the entire store who offered me a position with Lowe's. They said I needed to take a drug test and they'd run a background check on me, it was only two days until I heard back. Went in for an oral drug test, got word back on Friday that I had
orientation on Monday. The entire hiring process took two weeks at most.

Throughout, everyone I spoke to was very polite and I enjoy working with them today. I don't know if my experience is unique or what, but I was surprised to read all the negative comments. As to any drama in the work place..well..I'm a very solitary person and I remain indifferent to people's worries or complaints if they're my coworkers. If you have a problem with a spouse or friend or whatever, leave it at home..and leave your work at work. I do have one problem with Lowe's though. I'm seasonal right now and my 90 days is almost up, and you're changed to part time automatically after that time ends. They don't tell you it's done, they just cut your hours down to 20-30 a week instead of 39.

Waiting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

33 months ago

After a long waiting process and several interviews and even more tests- It was decided that the current HR Mngr would handle several stores rather than hire another HRM. I feel for the poor woman, and as a result I was not hired. Sorry to put down everyones hopes but even after all the interviews and tests and being told they want to hire me and they want to see what store I would be in still no job at Lowes.

My advice - until they give you a start date - even if they tell you that you have the job- don't get your hopes up.

yungabeats in Cabot, Arkansas

32 months ago

I had a great interview process...Applied Online >> 2weeks Later 1st interview (went in met took a "honesty test," met one I guess she was from HR..in the middle of that interview the HRM came in and also met with me and finished the
interview, then the lady from HR came back in and talked to me about pay, hours, and schedules then said she would call me back when my background check went through in 5-7 days) >> called me back about one week after and said to come in the next day for a drug test >> took an oral drug test (said she would call back when or if it cleared) >> The next day at 7pm THANK GOD I passed it (lol) and told me to come in Monday for orientation for 3 hours >> and the
next few days would be computer orientation for about 8hrs a day....So despite what you all have experienced which I know sucks because I had the same problem with HOME DEPOT last year :)...my interview process went well..
BTW: I have NO job experience. Except a few days (literally) at mcdonalds. I believe I got the job above other applicants with experience because of chemistry with my HRA and HRM..they loved that I was in school and majoring in Business ...blah blah..just make yourself sound good..pop a few jokes in..laugh at there stupid ones..and smile and say hey to your future co workers.

NO MATTER WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCE IS IF THEY DONT LIKE YOU THEY WONT HIRE YOU..

shiloh in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

my interview process for lowes (it's a newly built store doing a mass hire) only took 2 visits and maybe 2 weeks at most. i was hired on the spot in the lawn & garden section during my 3rd interview with the store manager. everyone was super nice & he assured me that hard work would be rewarded (told him i wanted to move up as quickly as possible).

i can't see that lowes is any worse than where i'm at now (radioshack)...i'm getting a lot more hours (39 vs 15) and being paid almost $3 more an hour.

orientation is tomorrow at 8:30am. not too sure what to expect but whatever.

roliver68 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

28 months ago

I filled out the app on line the next day i was called for the first interview . Now all i need to do is wait for this day to get
over so i can go to mt interview

/ No (4)

leah in Syracuse, New York

27 months ago

Have been going through the whole process for three months, have had two interviews and have been told ever week that the HR person was still reviewing applications and then today she tells me with a very annoyed tone thst I should call her the 1st week of December. I plan on having a conversation with the regional manager before then.

Lanee Brown in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

I've applied online and the next day was called in for a interview, the same week I had a 2nd interview and there I was offered to come in for a 3rd interview which determines whether or not they going to offer you a position. Once they offered the position they do an on the site drug test. The whole process happened in less than a week, I'm excited ! Wish me luck

DTC in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

With 5+ years experience in retail management, and, an inpecable work history, I obtained an appointment to apply for a position at Lowes. I was called in for a first interview and found 4 others waiting for the same appointment. After approximately 30 minutes, I was told by H.R. that the computers were down and I would have to come back another time. I left Lowes, went down the street, applied with a competetor and interviewed on the same day.

I was called in for a second interview with the regional manager within 3 days, had a background and reference check done and was sent for a drug screen. I am now employed with a company that knows how to treat their prospective employees. I would like to thank Lowes for what they did for me that day. Your loss just happened to be my gain.

DTC in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

P.S. I received a post card in the mail shortly thereafter telling me I was not qualified for a position with Lowes. Again, thank you Lowes for you poor decision making abilities and by allowing your HR department to make your decisions for you. I will never forget you.

Leah

in Syracuse, New York

26 months ago

Good for you! I just hope I can have the same luck finding work.

georgeEE

/ No (5)

DTC

in Houston, Texas

26 months ago
georgeEE said: Can anybody awnser me if lowes drug tests, and is it a swab or piss and if it's the 1st or 2nd interview thnks
From what I understand, It is a swab after the 2nd interview

DTC

in Houston, Texas

You will

georgeEE

26 months ago

Thanks bro. Highly appreciated.

Charles Harold

in Rosemead, California

26 months ago

I'm interested in knowing this too? Any more insight?

jennym

in Marlborough, Massachusetts

25 months ago

Has anyone interview in the new hudson ma store? Do they swab or urine test and is after the second interview

Stace

25 months ago

I applied to Lowes online. A week later, received a call
from Lowes rep. I was asked to come in for 1st interview. When I arrived
at my interview, I was told that they did not have a opening for the
position I applied for. Then I was asked if I still wanted to go through
the process. Since I was already there I agreed to interview. After my
1st interview was completed the rep asked if I would be interested in
any other position. i asked what he had in mind and expressed my
interests. He presented me w/ a position that I think is a good match w
my background and experience. I was then asked if I had anytime in my
day for a 2nd interview. With in minutes I was given a 2nd interview and
drug test. Then, I was scheduled for a 3rd interview w the store
manager the following week. I will have to wait and see what happens...

monkeymonkey

in Upstate, New York

25 months ago

I have recently went through the interview process at lowes.
First I went to a face to face interview with a manager in training,
then got invited back for my 2nd interview immediately and scheduled
that went to that nailed that as well and ended up being scheduled for
my third interview which was yesterday. They said they would let me know
in two weeks whether or not I received the job. I was wondering if
anyone happened to know because I did not receive an offer on the spot
that means i didnt get the job? They said they needed to complete my
background check.

sallie

in Kiln, Mississippi

monkeymonkey in Upstate, New York said:
I have recently went through the interview process at lowes. First I
went to a face to face interview with a manager in training, then got
invited back for my 2nd interview immediately and scheduled that went to
that nailed that as well and ended up being scheduled for my third
interview which was yesterday. They said they would let me know in two
weeks whether or not I received the job. I was wondering if anyone
happened to know because I did not receive an offer on the spot that
means i didnt get the job? They said they needed to complete my
background check.
this means you will recieve a card in the mail telling you that you did not get the job. :/

monkeymonkey

in Liverpool, New York

24 months ago
surprisingly it didnt mean that at all, i actually received a job offer and have started working

needajob!

in San Jacinto, California

24 months ago

hey guys i have a question.....how do you get to the
"secondary survey" on there home page? because im nowhere near a lowes
so i cant take it

Vee

in Canadensis, Pennsylvania

Good for you Monkey..=] I applied last week online , got a
call to come in for an interview today at 1:30 ,, there was noone there
to conduct an interview they were out to lunch, so I was told I could
wait in the room by the HR office . I'm stressing thinking maybe she had
said 9:30 even though I had repeated the time back during the phone
conversation to confirm. haha Anyway they did uiget back from lunch and
apologized for being late, turned out I was right on time and 15 minutes
early actually, so 'd been there an hour and 15 mins. Anyway it was ok ,
I know things happen and she had said they've been very busy and in
some transitions,, So I had an interview with one of the ladies, then I
did the computer questionnaire, then another interview w/ an assistant
manager, then he went in to the HR office with the 2 ladies I had spoke
w/ earlier, and then the lady came out and said " Thank you for coming
in , you'll hear from us"

So I really have no idea how this will pan out. The interview seemed to go well enough... To be continued

Jobless

in New Orleans, Louisiana

I had an interview w/the HR Manager. I completed another
survey test in the store. After the interview I was told that the
interview went well, and that the Store Manager would contact me when he
comes back to work,he was still in Miami,Fl recovering from the
Superbowl game. I guess, I passed the in store survey test? Would they
tell u if u passed it or not. Do u think their just telling me
anything, to get rid of me. Any advice!!!!!

Michael

in Sugar Land, Texas

24 months ago

I originally applied online for the position. A day or two
later I received a call to schedule and interview. I went into the HR
office and was interviewed about 15 minutes later for a position I
didn't apply for (because what I applied for was no longer available, so
they offered another position up for interview). I came out of that
interview and a few minutes later i received an oral drug test followed
by a second interview with the store manager during which I was made a
money offer for the position. It's been about a week (including weekend
and a holiday) and i followed up with a phone call. The drug test came
back clean and I'm only waiting on the background check. I'm pretty
confident about how it's gone so far. They've got a very simple hiring
process.

Jobless

in Slidell, Louisiana

Michael in Sugar Land, Texas said:
I originally applied online for the position. A day or two later I
received a call to schedule and interview. I went into the HR office and
was interviewed about 15 minutes later for a position I didn't apply
for (because what I applied for was no longer available, so they offered
another position up for interview). I came out of that interview and a
few minutes later i received an oral drug test followed by a second
interview with the store manager during which I was made a money offer
for the position. It's been about a week (including weekend and a
holiday) and i followed up with a phone call. The drug test came back
clean and I'm only waiting on the background check. I'm pretty confident
about how it's gone so far. They've got a very simple hiring process.
Are you still waiting for you background check? I just had
two interviews, but never a drug test yet!!! I was told by the hr
manager @ Lowes that he is waiting for my background check. How long
does it takes to have a background check.

Michael in Sugar Land, Texas

24 months ago

I've already been hired and am a couple days into training; and it took just over a week for the check to come back. Just give the HR department a call - that's all I can say. If you call sparingly, it'll show you're interested and they'll appreciate that.

Jobless in Slidell, Louisiana

24 months ago

Congratulations, thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the advice.

luvmy1jman
in San Jose, California

23 months ago

what a nightmare! After applying for a cashier position at Lowes online. I was jimmy-jacked around so much that I would not recommend them as employers. They made me go in 3 times to interview, then was told 3 different positions each interview and when it came down to the drug test date, they back pedaled on everything!!!! and said they would keep my file! what a joke and a complete waste of my valuable time!!! their management is clueless!!!

Workin in Fort Worth, Texas

23 months ago

The job is truly what you make out of it. I applied mid-spring last year. The HR manager was on vacation at the time, so it took a few weeks to get the ball rolling. After She was back I filled out an application. She did her interview, and administered the oral drug test. Then I was immediately taken back to the Zone managers office and given my second interview. When that was complete I waited a bit and was then interviewed by the store manager. I was pretty much told at that point i was to be hired in a seasonal position for tool world pending the results of the drug screen. A few days later i was called and told to come in on a certain day to begin orientation.

At this point, the job becomes what you make of it. Seasonal hires are pretty much 90 day jobs. Your work and interaction with customers pretty much decide if you are going to continue work with the company from that point forward. (consider it on the job screening) After my Seasonal term expired, the store manager brought me in, and
explained my seasonal term was up. and the would be hiring me as a Part time employee, and transferring me to the Paint Dept.

Again, you are observed as a Part Time employee basically the same way you are as a Seasonal. The more you go out of your way to help, such as staffing problems (coming in when people call in sick) and really just being someone they can depend on. The more chance you have of being hired Full Time. I worked in Paint for 3-3.5 months When a Full Time
position came open in Lumber/Building Materials.

Now is where it gets fun, every job you apply for internally goes through an interview process much like when you first hire in. After this interview I waited about a week and was then given the position. I've now been in Lumber for the last 6 months, and currently applying for the Department Managers position in that department.

Dan in Sugar Land, Texas

Workin in Ft Worth,

Could you explain to me when benefits become available at Lowe's? For instance, must you wait until after your seasonal position is over, or do you have to become full time? Thank you

crockit in Palm Bay, Florida

22 months ago

Same story, its been over a week now, had all 3  interviews,drug test and still waiting for the back ground check. A very
big waste of my time for min. wage.

jaime in Hamilton, Ohio

22 months ago

i applied online for a job at lowes..got a call for an interview and went in and did two interviews in one day.the next day i had the third with the store manager./he basically said that i had the job.waited for the call to get the drug test.it's been 1 week.any ideas?

so quick to judge ...

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

yet so fast to fall on your face ..  your judgements are reflective of yourself because ...

In case you didn't know ... tests comprise of 1) A question and 2) a list of answers to choose from

The question is given and then the possible answers:

A this is the 1st option answer
(and so on )
E this is the last optional answer

Apparently, your test taking and/or test make-up analysis backfired pretty hard ....

"... a haughty spirit before the fall ..."

Science disagrees with you

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

and your opinion piece...

"
In 1993 an article entitled Comprehensive
Meta-Analysis of Integrity Test Validities:
Findings and Implications for Personnel
Selection and Theories of Job Performance
(Meta-Analysis) was published in the highly
regarded Journal of Applied
Psychology. This article evaluated over 600
integrity test studies involving 576,460
test takers. A review of this research led
the researchers to conclude that: Results
indicate that integrity test validities are
substantial for predicting job
performance and counterproductive
behaviors on the job, such as theft, disciplinary
problems, and absenteeism.
Thus,
the research indicated that these
assessments not only do a good job of
helping screen job applicants who may
have integrity problems, but they are
useful for identifying candidates who will
be high performers. "

A simple google search will find you dozens of peer reviews articles from respected psychologists about these pre-employment screenings.

Denial...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

...is not just a river in Africa.

guys .. i'm not pissed at Lowes ..
- Oh no of course not.  That is why you wrote a RipOff report on them and have probably spent more time trying to justify your position than you have looking for a job.

How many people do you think saw the 85 questions and just said 'screw this'
- Who cares.  If they can't spend 45 minutes of their time to apply they probably wouldn't get hired anyways.

HomeDepot for their hardware ... (

- Let's see a store deciding to use an 85 Question Application for perspective employees is going to cause customers to shop at HD. Ummm...somehow I don't think so.

Not only that but I guess it didn't even occur to you that HD probably uses a very similar process in hiring as Lowes?  Because if you look at their FAQ section it states it takes 30-45 minutes to fill out the application.  Gee where have we heard that amount of time before?  Oh yea according to you that is how long it took you to fill out the application at Lowes which as far as you were concerned is too long.

Also in really looking at at the questions it is hard to really call it a "psychological" exam, in the sense that it determines how mentally stable you are.  It really is just to see how you would handle various situations and not a determination if you need to seek "professional help".  Of course if an 85 question test causes you to have a panic attack them perhaps you do need some help.

One other question which may be interesting to know.  How much time do you devote to applying for your other jobs?  If you do it right, you should be spending 2-3 hours per position just to get through the initial interview.  This includes filling out the application, making sure you are presenting yourself professionally, researching the company, getting to the Interview, waiting for the interview, and the actual interview itself.  Now if you say that it is not worth all that for a part time stocking position....well there is your problem.

Does Psychology Really Matter When Hiring Someone

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

guys .. i'm not pissed at Lowes .. i'm sure it is their HR within their org. that decided to allow brassring to use this monstrosity physch test which is demeaning to people in so many ways...  How many people do you think saw the 85 questions and just said 'screw this' .?   and then how many people do you think said 'but i HAVE to have 'a' job ' ?  ..  yes, obviously the number of new employees are the ones that were accepted ..

Whatever, --  Lowes, I hope, will re-evaluate people's time considerations and at least cut down on the number of questions on the physch exam and realize that people are going to complain more and more and it probably isn't in their interest for people to boycott them and go next door to the HomeDepot for their hardware ... (even if some of the same items cost a few pennies more) ...

please have a read on this article:

Does Psychology Really Matter When Hiring Someone

Yesterday, Inc, had an interesting article on why psychology should play a bigger role in the hiring process.  I agree to a certain extent.  Obviously, you dont want your office to resemble a loony bin, but I dont want a bunch of people that look like and act like me to running around the office either.

Its our idiosyncrasies, for bettetr or worse that make us who we are and create corporate culture.  Its the individuals that are little quirky and unusual that I want on my team when the crap starts hitting the fan.  Why? Because these individuals are resourceful and at their core, they are ultimate hustlers and will get the job done.

If youve seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, youll understand where Im going with this.  If you havent, I highly
recommend it, and I hope the rumors are true of a sequel being in development.  But back to the discussion at hand.  In the movie, Lisbeth who is a young computer hacker is exactly the type of person I would like to have  on my team.  Shes smart and goes balls to the wall.

Now, if you this article in Inc as the barometer for evaluating potential employees, Lisbeth wouldnt make it past the first 10 seconds of walking through the door, let alon the first interview.  Theres a lot of emphasis placed on first impressions, and I get that. But I think weve all been wrong on a few occasions.  There are people that Ive met in the past, and after our initial meetings I knew were probably never going to speak again because we didnt click.  However, Im glad my first impressions were wrong, because I am great friends with some of these individuals.

I dont take issue with the article, just the study that was conducted that lead to the article.  There are so many talented
individuals sitting on the sidelines right now, and just because they didnt have a desirable personality score or dont fit in pretty little box are now being excluded from a job they would probably kick a** in.  I see it happen all the time, and its a shame that it does.  Im not faulting recruiters either because theyre just doing their jobs.  The system needs to be fixed sooner than later.  The Mark Zuckerbergs, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and countless others were all the Lisbeths of their
time and they turned out just fine.

Am I way off base on this?  I welcome your thoughts in the comments section below.

When someone refers to "the answers" of a test, they mean the right ones...

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

...not the options available to select as the correct answer. Don't get me wrong, the OP is an idiot, but not in this case. Plus, going on about him sharing the test is absurd. If Lowe's sued him for this, they would be dumber than the OP himself.

At the end of the day, the OP is pissed he did not get hired after doing all that "work". What's funny is that if he was not hired due to this ridiculously easy test, he must be borderline retarded.

wipe your nose

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

If you're too stupid or lazy to take the test then you're too stupid or lazy to show up for work. As others have pointed out--the test did its job by weeding out the undesirables. Now you can stay home to watch Gilligan's Island and Batman after raiding mommy's fridge.

What a joke!

AUTHOR: Brian - (United States of America)

I've been following this post since it started.  Now I know why Lowes didn't hire you, you're a smart a$$ and an idiot.  Those selections indicated by the letters A, B, C, D, and E after each question are the answers, you moron.  If you're too stupid to understand that, then I wouldn't want you working for my company either.

LOL.."Where r the answers"?

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

hahahaha  you really are dumb!  Is this why you could not take the test because you could not find the answers hahahaha

where ?

where r the answers ?

so it doesn't happen again

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

Yes, it has now been some time put into this, but in the hopes that this company and others change their ways. So if it makes a difference it was worth it, because it is a very few places that have an 85 question physch survey !

You know...

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

If you would put half as much energy as you have in this post and on your blog in to finding a job, you might have one. I guess ranting about a job application is more important than actually finding a job.

The bottom line.

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

The bottom line here is that you either want the job or not.

Nobody forced you to apply.

It was your choice.

Likewise, it is the discretion of any employer to use whatever screening and application methods they choose, as long as they are the same for everyone, and not in violation of any laws.

You are not entitled to any job.

Get over yourself, and move on.

If you don't like the hiring process, start your own business.

Put up or shut up.

Lacks motivation, desire to improve, basic skills.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

Apparently the tool used to weed you out of the eligible was efective.  One of America's biggest problem today is laziness.  It is easier to collect welfare than work and in this case, apply for work.  You view certain tasks as beneath you, meaningless, not worthy of your precious time.  This is what we have become.

You may never get a job with that attitude but don't feel alone, there are millions just like you in America today looking for a handout or an easy ride.  I have a feeling I will be supporting you or continuing to support you.

#26 General Comment

Even more wrong with you...

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

From one of your posts "Question: 21 to 22 of 85

You  are filling in for a co-worker who called in sick. As a result, you are  working in a department you know nothing about. A customer asks you  about a particular item, but you are not sure if the store carries it,  much less where it is. Your Manager is on his lunch break. What would  you do?

B: Say nothing and begin looking for it.

C: Explain the situation to the customer and invite him to help you find the item.

D: Tell the customer that you don't carry the item.

E: Tell the customer you are out of the item, but you will call him as soon as the store gets more in."

Now you claim you didn't post the answers, just the questions. Well, that's wrong. You posted the answers as well. So by your postings you've shown that you are anti-social and a liar. Then you wonder why Lowe's didn't hire you. I'd be surprised any business hired you.

-- for sure the test is for the truely desperate

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

No normal person would take this test unless they had overwhelming compulsion for some kind of employment...

Your question refers to a "psych test for pre-employment screening." The literature that I have found refers to overlapping categories of "psychological," "personality," and "honesty" tests. What one web site may refer to as a "psychological" test, another may refer to as a "personality" test. Therefore, it is probably best to search for law examining all three of these in order to get the best answer.

Regardless of the name of the test, the literature I have read thus far is very clear on one point: If there is any reason that the test could be considered a "medical" test, then the "Americans with Disabilities Act" may apply, and you should proceed with a large amount of caution. This is the area of the pre-employment testing field where you will find the greatest agreement on the subject. Violations of the ADA may be handled very seriously and could potentially open the door for employment litigation against you. If the purpose of the psychological test is to uncover some type of mental illness, then it could very easily be considered a medical test. If the specific purpose of the test is not to discover mental illness, but the test itself is designed or interpreted by a medical professional, there may also be legal consequences. These is not the
only circumstance where a psychological or personality test might infringe upon the ADA, so be very careful in administering these types of tests.

An article on FindLaw briefly discusses how a psychological test may fall under the definition of a medical examination:

"A psychological test is designed to reveal mental illness, but a particular employer says it does not give the test to disclose mental illness (for example, the employer says it uses the test to disclose just tastes and habits). But the test also is interpreted by a psychologist, and is routinely used in a clinical setting to provide evidence that would lead to a diagnosis of a mental disorder or impairment (for example, whether an applicant has paranoid tendencies, or is depressed). Under these facts, this test is a medical examination."

anon

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

Well anon or E, whatever your name is...

If you had spent half the time on the application that you spent on this complaint you may have obtained employment.

You're too stupid or lazy to take a simple employment qualification test. What should you do?

A: Sleep until noon. Then get up and watch The Price is Right.
B: Wait twelve years for the ten year old kid next door to graduate college and then hire me as his janitor.
C: Dumpster-dive behind KFC for a gourmet lunch.
D: Steal underwear from a dryer in the laundromat down the street.

LOL borders??

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

You are upholding your theory that these tests are bad for business by pointing out that borders used one of these? I assume you are implying that using these tests are what put borders out of buisness correct?

You are delusional. Borders went out of buisness due to two things:

1) Amazon. Its crushing traditional brick and mortar bookstores by offering books for rock bottom prices over the internet.

2) E-Books. remember them? They are this little invention that makes books themselves obsolete. If you have a kindle (also by amazon) you don't even need to ORDER or PURCHASE traditional books any longer.

Try again. Borders and Barnes and Noble are horrible examples to use. Their industry is not in danger because of peole using psych tests. Look up a company named "Kum and Go" they are one of the largest convience store chains in the midwest, they use it, and are doing just fine.

consider what others have said about psych tests

Consider Borders book stores:
Borders used to be prominent, several stores have closed and now it is Barnes & Nobles.
Like Lowes,they were in the business of selling things:  they sold books, Lowes sells hardware.

What kind of psych test does Borders administer to job applicants?

January 31, 2005 7:23 PM
Borders administers some type of psych test when you
apply online (or in store). What is the test and (of course) what are
the best responses?

posted by Jim Jones to work & money (31 answers total)

I hate those
goddamned tests. We used to give one when I worked at a nationwide
electronics retailer (ok, it was RadioShack). Those tests don't tell the
employer whether you're going to steal or not; they tell them whether
you're a liberal or not. The question that always got me: "It is always
wrong to steal: Yes or No." Well for fuck's sake it's not always wrong.
Basically, they want to find out if you think in black and white or in
shades of gray. I lied my ass off to get that job.

Be careful, and make sure you check questions against ones that came
before to see if they're asking the same thing, slightly rephrased, to
catch you in a lie. Lie about almost everything you've ever done wrong,
except if they ask you if you ever lie, in which case you have to answer
yes, because everyone lies once in a while.

Oh, and I tried to get an answer key to test my thesis about the test's conservative bias, but they refused.

posted by goatdog at 7:36 PM on January 31, 2005

A friend of mine
got a copy of the test they give to teachers, and the key for desired
results. Much of it was about respect for authority, team work, and
anti-union sentiment. She just channeled her right wing relatives and
got a perfect score.

She's now a union steward.

posted by gesamtkunstwerk at 7:43 PM on January 31, 2005

She's now a union steward.

Beautiful!

And, yeah the psych tests that I've seen are actually testing your ability to consistently tell them what they want to hear.

posted by jperkins at 8:05 PM
 on January 31, 2005

A long time ago I
applied at Target and needed to take one of these tests. Question 32
was, "Can you count to 50?" Question 35 was, "Can you count to 100?" I
got so mad I answered everything else wrong (right) and didn't get the
job. Not so disappointing in the long run.
posted by dual_action at 8:17 PM on January 31, 2005

So I guess I
should answer the question - Lie your ass off. You are a very honest,
loyal person who will sacrifice your friends no matter what they do
(take a hanger from the break room *gasp*) until you die or the store
goes under.

It's the only way to get the job, and you may feel slimy for a while afterwards, but how do you think everyone else got hired?

posted by dual_action at 8:22 PM on January 31, 2005

The question that always got me: "It is always wrong to steal: Yes or No." Well for fuck's sake it's not always wrong

Um. Yes it is. It can be less wrong than another action -- for
sake of argument, letting your child starve if you don't get some food
somehow -- but that doesn't mean your conscience is pristine.
posted by kindall at 9:12 PM on January 31, 2005

In your example, my conscience would
be pristine. Which is why I was lying when I answered that question
"yes": that's a perfect example when I would not feel that stealing is
wrong. I also don't think that downloading music is wrong, even though,
by law, it is "wrong," and by the RIAA's definition, it is stealing.
posted by goatdog at 9:58 PM on January 31, 2005

Not that I would ever download any music illegally, of course. (damnit, they'll be after me now.)

But you get my point: I think "wrong" is a subjective thing, and there
are situations where I, in my own little moral universe, would not think
that stealing is wrong.

posted by goatdog at 10:05 PM on January 31, 2005

For most of those retail employment tests if you remember the phrase "ALL crime is bad, ALL people are good"
you'll do OK. Yes, you'd turn your own Mother in for stealing a piece
of bread because she's hungry. No, nobody that you would associate with
would commit a crime. Yes, taking home some rubberbands from work is
stealing. If a question seems confusing, just remember that you hate all
crime and you would never associate with somebody that is dishonest (if
you did, it would reflect negatively on your character).

I thought that there'd be some kind of red flag if you answered all the
questions too unrealistically positive, but I don't think there is. The
system is set up to spot inconsistencies, which is why you get so many
questions that are only slight variations of the same thought.
posted by Slack-a-gogo at 10:11 PM on January 31, 2005

If you must resort to theft to feed your hungry child, you are
to feel guilt for it. This guilt will motivate you to bring yourself
out of the circumstances in which it is necessary to steal to support
your child. After you have succeeded, your conscience will spur you to
pay restitution to those you stole from.

---- and visit the site to read the rest ...

#31 General Comment

Consider this

AUTHOR: scott - (United States of America)

Anon please consider this: Print out this entire post and remove your name from your contribution to it. Ask someone who owns a business that you trust and also value their opinion. Have them look at your posts and give you their professional opinion of them (don't let some buddy of yours blow smoke up your ass). What do you believe their opinion will be? Will it be of the sort that they will also believe that Lowes is just wasting everyone's time? Most likely they will not and they might even be able to help you answer the questions.

You obviously believe that the Indian gentleman is wasting his talents at Lowes. In otherwords Lowes believes he will contribute in even greater ways to their company, in the future; that is exactly the type of person they are looking for. His first step in being hired was this test that you are so bothered about.

Instead of getting mad about it; study it. You are articulate enough to figure out the answers they want, so take again (and again). Surely you can figure out how to reregister to take it again (different email usually works) or just wait 30 days and the system will allow you (maybe). Then if they still won't call you, try talking to the stock manager and express to him/her your desire to work there and the fact you have not gotten a response. Maybe there are no positions available or maybe, once they observe your desire to work there, they can get you a regular interview.

Remember that the test is just a very simple device to weed out those who are unable to think on their feet. Of course some answers are better than others, but, don't fret over that; it's the pattern they are looking for. They want you to be able to pick the answer that is better than another answer for the given situation; they don't expect you to pick the perfect answer each time. Remember they ask for the best answer and the worst answer; it appears that most, if not all, have 2 possibilities for each one. As long as you can divide them up that much; you'll do great!

If Lowes don't hire you; fill out applications for other businesses. Just realize that these types of tests are used all the time; sometimes in the beginning of the process, sometimes at other points, but almost everytime you fill out a online application. You might even run into situations where this type of test is given verbally and you have to come up with the answers. At that point you'll be glad you've taken the test online because you'll be ready for it.

Try searching for "job application test questions" it will help you answer the questions and prepare you for other types of questions you might run into.

You already admitted the "Indian" was more qualified than you

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

Doesn't his over-qualification indicate to you that they have enough applicants in this economy that many will not be hired?

And what about this gem:
"most Likely, Lowes only hires a very few select people - and the ones that actually go through the application are ones that have been promised a job and know they have reward of getting the job after the painstaking process of that exhausting application."

How dumb are you? You think their hiring process is to select the people they want to hire, and *then* make them take the test?

"Lowes is collecting thousands of data personal information, SS#, Address, Name, phone, etc. on applicants who won't be getting a job"

You know what other companies do this? Every company in the world.

The only reason I took the test was for the purpose of exposing it for the BS it is !
And you are still blaming them? And I am not sure what you have "exposed".

In any event, this "test" was multiple choice. How hard is that? Did you not have to do that to get your GED anyway? And if you are unemployed, 45 minutes of your time is not worth that much right now.

You'll eventually get a stock boy job. But keep that attitude, and a stock boy is all you'll ever be.

no answers were posted

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

Most companies are now using versions of these tests to determine
how well applicants fit in the company without having to hire and train
them first. The tests are actually very effective for determining if
someone is "right" for the job and should be given further
consideration. For example, with the problem you had failing the AOL
test for dealing with customers and failing the Lowe's test in dealing
with customer's, it might be in your best interest to try to find jobs
that do NOT have interaction with other people.
- yes - and yes - the actual problem, I think, with the AOL computer test in their office was the
more the what would you do if  you saw an employee doing this or that rather than the customer
responses... .. and it's hard to have a job with zero interaction .. all jobs have some !
It's the company's particular mothod of how they want inter-employee reactions dealt with that is the issue.

By the way, you might want to talk with an attorney. I'm sure that
Lowe's had a provision that said you would not reveal information about
the test. *
 No, I don't recall any provision - maybe you can point it out -
Maybe you are member of bar ...
 And here you are posting the questions and answers. *
Nope !!  the more you accuse falsely the more you prove yourself to be an agent of
barney frank or the ghost of j. edgar hoover ...
No body posted any answers !!!!

and you remember that hoover was a bi-sexual and closet homosexual ... and ran in his office for about 4 decades (terms are since limited to 1 of 10 years).. barney frank and elmer fudd share the same
speach patterns - i hope you don't as well...

get over yourself

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Its apparant from your rambling and moderately incoherant posts that Lowe's has dodged a bullet by not hiring you. Its commonplace these days for jobs to require a psych eval to work there. A major local gas station chain here, Kum-n-Go, requires it just be the moron that takes your money for gas. if these sorts of tests turn you off, you should probably not get a job working with customers. More and more places are requiring these sorts of evaluations for their jobs.

BTW: You may think the indian got a job that was beneith him, but he has a job and you don't. He also realizes that you start at the bottom and work your way up in a company like lowe's. So while you are crying about their application, he's busy working his way up the company.

#35 General Comment

Well, there's your problem right there.

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

"Years ago, I tried to get a help-desk job at AOL, the one where they try and retain customers .... 'customer  retention'.  I took their phych exam on their computer againg and again  and again, finally they had me take an intelligence exam which was  passed well, then i took the pshych exam again and failed and they said  'sorry'.  Recently, after being at Lowes and told about the  online application many of us are familiar with, I was not happy with  the 30-45 min to do it, but after entering all kinds of personal info,  then there was the dreaded 85 question survey through brassring for  Lowes ...  ...  and here it is .... please let me know if you think this  is a bit too intrusive for a stock-boy position !!!! "

Most companies are now using versions of these tests to determine how well applicants fit in the company without having to hire and train them first. The tests are actually very effective for determining if someone is "right" for the job and should be given further consideration. For example, with the problem you had failing the AOL test for dealing with customers and failing the Lowe's test in dealing with customer's, it might be in your best interest to try to find jobs that do NOT have interaction with other people.

By the way, you might want to talk with an attorney. I'm sure that Lowe's had a provision that said you would not reveal information about the test. And here you are posting the questions and answers. Lowe's can successfully sue you for this as it could entail them having to change their test, Since this would be a loss for the company, they could very easily prove to a judge that you agreed not to reveal the test and then did so. Hope you got deep pockets or find a good paying job that doesn't deal with customers, I think you're going to need the money to settle with Lowe's

the indian was hired before i applied

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

i was turned off by the 85 questions at lowes ..

that is why this is here and we are discussing it .. this is not your grandfather's or your father's economy ... nor application process !

This is not your grandfather's or your father's economy !

The questions.

Lowes gives 85 questions through BrassRing as online employment condition Years ago, I tried to get a help-desk job at
AOL, the one where they try and retain customers .... 'customer retention'.  I took their phych exam on their computer againg and again and again, finally they had me take an intelligence exam which was passed well, then i took the pshych exam again and failed and they said 'sorry'.  Recently, after being at Lowes and told about the online application many of us are familiar with, I was not happy with the 30-45 min to do it, but after entering all kinds of personal info, then there was the dreaded 85 question survey through brassring for Lowes ...  ...  and here it is .... please let me know if you think this is a bit too intrusive for a stock-boy position !!!!

from Brassring   ( http://www.kenexa.com/recruitment-technology/complex-global-enterprise )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: 1 to 2 of 85
A newly hired Associate is having a hard time learning his new job. You have been around for several years and really know the ropes. What would you do?

A: Tell the Associate where he can find training materials that he can take home.
B: Tell your Manager that the new Associate is struggling and needs more training.
C: Ask another Associate to help the person who is struggling.
D: Suggest the Associate find another line of work that fits his personality.
E: Work with the Associate during work hours and show him the ropes.

Question 1:     Choose the BEST response.Question 2:     Choose the WORST response.
 Question: 3 to 4 of 85

You are working the floor when you see a customer who is behaving suspiciously. You think he may be trying to steal something by the way he is acting. What would you do?

A: Make a note to check back on the customer in a few minutes.
B: Confront the customer about stealing and try to recover any merchandise.
C: Walk up and ask the customer if you can show him anything.
D: Go find the first Associate you can and tell him or her.
E: Tell your Manager and let him or her decide what to do.

Question 3:     Choose the BEST response. Question 4:     Choose the WORST response.
Question: 5 to 6 of 85

You are working in a part of the store that is not very busy. Your Manager has asked you to stock shelves in your area. Your co-worker is working in another section of the store that is having a sale and is currently very busy. What would you do?

A: Leave your area to help your co-worker.
B: Talk to your Manager and explain the situation, maybe he will reconsider.
C: Stay in your area and do what you were asked to do.
D: Ask another Associate about how you should handle the situation.
E: Ask another Associate to help your co-worker.

Question 5:     Choose the BEST response.Question 6:     Choose the WORST response .  Question: 7 to 8 of 85
A customer is upset because an advertised item has been sold out. How would you respond to the customer?

A: Explain that it's hard to tell how well an item will sell.
B: Tell the customer that the item might be on sale again and he could try then.
C: Tell the customer you will find out if another store has the advertised item in stock.
D: Suggest that the customer call ahead in the future and ask for the item to be put on hold.
E: Ask your Manager to talk to the customer.

Question 7:     Choose the BEST response.Question 8:     Choose the WORST response.

Question: 9 to 10 of 85
A new Associate in another department asks you about the features of the merchandise in his department. You just explained all of this to him the day before. What would you do?

A: Tell him he is interfering with your sales.
B: Ask him if he would possibly be better suited for another department.
C: Tell your Manager about the problem.
D: Show him how he can find the product information on his own.
E: Suggest he ask for more training.

Question 9:     Choose the BEST response. Question 10:     Choose the WORST response.

Question: 11 to 12 of 85
A customer enters your department with some equipment he cant operate. You are familiar with the equipment. Unfortunately, it is not a brand that is carried by your company. How would you help the customer?

A: Suggest to the customer that he call the manufacturer to help him.
B: Suggest to the customer that he read the directions.
C: Ask your Manager what you should do.
D: Tell the customer it is not a brand carried by your store.
E: Show the customer how to use the equipment anyway.

Question 11:     Choose the BEST response?Question 12:     Choose the WORST response?

Question: 13 to 14 of 85

You are showing a customer a high priced item and feel you are near closing the sale. Another potential customer enters the store. All other Associates are also busy with customers and you are closest to the new customer. What would you do?

A: Continue trying to sell to the current customer and ignore the new customer.
B: Greet the customer, saying someone will be with him in a minute, then suggest he look at some merchandise while waiting.
C: Greet the customer and say, "Ill be right with you."
D: Greet the customer and say "If you tell me what youre looking for, Ill direct you to it while youre waiting."
E: Look up, smile and say, "Hi," then continue with current customer.

Question 13:     Choose the BEST response.Question 14:     Choose the WORST response.

Question: 15 to 16 of 85

Your Manager has come to you and is giving you a lot of instructions for tasks she wants done. She is speaking so quickly and telling you so many things you are having trouble remembering everything. What would you do?

A: Try to remember it all and do the best you can.
B: Go to another Associate and ask if she knows what work you have to do.
C: Ask the Manager to repeat what she said.
D: Nothing; plan to take notes in the future.
E: Ask your Manager to write a list of tasks for you.

Question 15:     Choose the BEST response.Question 16:     Choose the WORST response.
 Question: 17 to 18 of 85

One of your co-workers is complaining about an assignment given to him by his Manager. He thinks the assignment is beneath him and he has decided to refuse to do it. What would you do?

A: Tell your co-worker to just do the assignment without complaining.
B: Do the assignment for your co-worker this one time.
C: Nothing; let your co-workers Manager deal with it.
D: Offer to trade; you will do this assignment for him if he will do one for you.
E: Tell your Manager.

Question 17:     Choose the BEST response. Question 18:     Choose the WORST response.

Question: 19 to 20 of 85

Before leaving on your lunch break, you make sure the Associate in the department next to yours is going to cover your department while you are gone. Instead, he tells you that he is also going to lunch. You know his break is not scheduled until later. What would you do?

A: Nothing; the Associate will get what is coming to him.
B: Tell your Manager and let her sort it out.
C: Confront the other Associate and point out that it is time for your lunch break and not his.
D: Let the other Associate go and take your own lunch during his scheduled time.
E: Try to convince the Associate to stick with the lunch schedule.

Question 19:     Choose the BEST response.Question 20:     Choose the WORST response.
Question: 21 to 22 of 85
You are filling in for a co-worker who called in sick. As a result, you are working in a department you know nothing about. A customer asks you about a particular item, but you are not sure if the store carries it, much less where it is. Your Manager is on his lunch break. What would you do?

D: Tell the customer that you don't carry the item.

Question 21:     Choose the BEST response.Question 22:     Choose the WORST response.

Question: 23 to 24 of 85
A customer has been waiting for more than one month for an out-of-stock refrigerator to arrive at the store. When she finds out that the store received the refrigerator more than two weeks ago but failed to call her, she becomes very angry. What would you do?

A: Apologize profusely but do nothing else.
B: Ask a more experienced Associate to handle it.
C: Offer the customer a discount.
D: Offer to deliver the refrigerator to her that day.
E: Ask the customer what she would like you to do.

Question 23:     Choose the BEST response.Question 24:     Choose the WORST response.
Question: 25 to 34 of 85
Strongly Disagree.
25. I don't mind changes in my daily routine.

26. Others consider me a good teammate.

27. I hardly ever finish things on time.

28. Rather than wait to be told, I tend to start doing what I think needs to be done.

29. I would not like a job that required me to work under high pressure and stress.

30. It doesn't bother me when deadlines and priorities change.

31. I am willing to sacrifice my needs for the good of the team.

32. I own up to all my mistakes.

33. I am the first to act at work.

34. Even if they are correct, I find criticism from others difficult to take.

the proof is in the conundrum

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

I have nothing left to say to all you who enjoyed bashing me for my complaint except read it and wheep..

Question: 1 to 2 of 85

C: Ask another Associate to help the person who is struggling.
D: Suggest the Associate find another line of work that fits his personality.
E: Work with the Associate during work hours and show him the ropes.

Question: 3 to 4 of 85

A: Make a note to check back on the customer in a few minutes.
B: Confront the customer about stealing and try to recover any merchandise.
C: Walk up and ask the customer if you can show him anything.
D: Go find the first Associate you can and tell him or her.
E: Tell your Manager and let him or her decide what to do.

Question: 5 to 6 of 85

A: Leave your area to help your co-worker.
B: Talk to your Manager and explain the situation, maybe he will reconsider.
C: Stay in your area and do what you were asked to do.
D: Ask another Associate about how you should handle the situation.
E: Ask another Associate to help your co-worker.

A: Explain that it's hard to tell how well an item will sell.
E: Ask your Manager to talk to the customer.

Question: 9 to 10 of 85
A new Associate in another department asks you about the features of the  merchandise in his department. You just explained all of this to him the day before. What would you do?

A: Tell him he is interfering with your sales.
B: Ask him if he would possibly be better suited for another department.
C: Tell your Manager about the problem.
D: Show him how he can find the product information on his own.
E: Suggest he ask for more training.

Question: 11 to 12 of 85

A  customer enters your department with some equipment he cant operate. You are familiar with the equipment. Unfortunately, it is not a brand that is carried by your company. How would you help the customer?

A: Suggest to the customer that he call the manufacturer to help him.
B: Suggest to the customer that he read the directions.
C: Ask your Manager what you should do.
D: Tell the customer it is not a brand carried by your store.
E: Show the customer how to use the equipment anyway.

Question: 13 to 14 of 85

A: Continue trying to sell to the current customer and ignore the new customer.
C: Greet the customer and say, "Ill be right with you."
E: Look up, smile and say, "Hi," then continue with current customer.

Question: 15 to 16 of 85

do?

A: Try to remember it all and do the best you can.
B: Go to another Associate and ask if she knows what work you have to do.
C: Ask the Manager to repeat what she said.
D: Nothing; plan to take notes in the future.
E: Ask your Manager to write a list of tasks for you.

Question: 17 to 18 of 85

A: Tell your co-worker to just do the assignment without complaining.
B: Do the assignment for your co-worker this one time.
C: Nothing; let your co-workers Manager deal with it.
E: Tell your Manager.

Question: 19 to 20 of 85

A: Nothing; the Associate will get what is coming to him.
B: Tell your Manager and let her sort it out.
E: Try to convince the Associate to stick with the lunch schedule.

Question: 21 to 22 of 85

You are filling in for a co-worker who called in sick. As a result, you are working in a department you know nothing about. A customer asks you  about a particular item, but you are not sure if the store carries it, much less where it is. Your Manager is on his lunch break. What would you do?

Question: 23 to 24 of 85

A: Apologize profusely but do nothing else.
B: Ask a more experienced Associate to handle it.
C: Offer the customer a discount.
D: Offer to deliver the refrigerator to her that day.
E: Ask the customer what she would like you to do.

Question: 25 to 34 of 85
Strongly Disagree.

25. I don't mind changes in my daily routine.

26. Others consider me a good teammate.

27. I hardly ever finish things on time.

30. It doesn't bother me when deadlines and priorities change.

31. I am willing to sacrifice my needs for the good of the team.

32. I own up to all my mistakes.

33. I am the first to act at work.

34. Even if they are correct, I find criticism from others difficult to take.

Question: 35 to 44 of 85
Strongly Disagree.
35. I find unexpected changes to be frustrating.
36. It bothers me when people ask me to help them get their work done.
37. At work, I sometimes don't finish things on time.
38. I take initiative at work.
39. Heavy workloads do not cause me stress.
40. I prefer things to stay the same and not change.
41. I usually won't go out of my way to help someone else.
42. I pride myself on always delivering on my commitments.
43. If something needs to be done, I get it done without having to be told.
44. Unexpected problems at work cause me great frustration.

Question: 45 to 54 of 85Strongly Agree.
Strongly Disagree.

45. I adapt easily to new situations.
46. I believe that others have good intentions.
47. I don't always see things through.
48. I complete tasks before being told to do them.
49. I do not get emotional in stressful situations.
50. I can change course, if necessary.
51. I am willing to help other people, even if I am very busy.
52. I do everything I say I will do.
53. I jump into action before others.
54. I am not easily stressed.

Question: 55 to 64 of 85
Strongly Disagree.

55. I find it easy to adapt to new ways of doing things.
56. It is important for me to maintain harmony within my work group.
57. I honor all the promises I have made.
58. I am hesitant to take on a task if I haven't been told to do so.
59. I can handle criticism without getting upset.
60. I am put off by unexpected events.
61. I only help others if I have extra time at the end of the day.
62. I rarely finish doing things before they are actually due (such as paying bills, finishing work).
63. I am the first person to volunteer for new projects.
64. I am easily stressed.

Question: 65 to 74 of 85
Strongly Disagree.

65. I dislike the unknown.
66. I only offer my assistance to others if my own workload is complete.
67. People can always count on me to be on time.
68. I dont wait for my supervisor to tell me what to do.
69. I stay calm under times of stress.
70. I prefer to have the same structured schedule every day.
71. At work, you simply can't help everyone and get your own job done.
72. There have been times when I have been unable to follow through with what I said I would do.
73. I seek out new and challenging assignments at work.
74. I get frustrated at work when there are too many demands on my time.

Question: 75 of 85

The amount of experience I have working in the retail industry is:

none.
less than 1 year.
1 - 3 years.C
4 - 5 years.
more than 5 years.

The length of time that I stayed in the last full-time job I had (not counting seasonal or part-time jobs) was:
less than 1 month.

1 - 6 months. B
6 months to 2 years.
more than 2 years.
never had another full-time job.

Question: 77 of 85

The longest time I have worked for any one employer is:
less than 1 year or never worked before.
1 - 2 years. B
3 - 5 years.
6 - 10 years.
over 10 years.

Question: 78 of 85

The amount of experience I have had working directly with customers is:
less than 6 months or never worked. A
6 to 24 months.
2 - 3 years.
4 - 5 years.
more than 5 years.

Question: 79 of 85

My current or last employer would say that I ____ the performance expectations of the job.
 greatly exceeded
slightly exceeded
met C
slightly failed to meet
failed to meet

Question: 80 of 85

The number of times I have been fired or asked to resign due to my performance or conduct is:
none or never worked before.
1. X
2 - 3.
4 - 5.
more than 5.

Question: 81 of 85

The number of times I have received special recognition at work or school (e.g., bonuses, awards, customer letters, employee of the month, honor society, etc.) is:

2 - 3.
4 - 5. X
more than 5.

Question: 82 of 85

How often do you volunteer in your local community?

Never.

Infrequently.X

Sometimes.

Frequently.

Very Frequently.

Question: 83 of 85

How many jobs have you had during the past five years?

5 or more.

3.X

1 or never worked before.

Question: 84 of 85

How long did you work for your previous employer?

Less than 1 month.
1-6 months. X
6 months to 1 year.
1-3 years.
More than 3 years.

Question: 85 of 85

How many employees and customers did you interact with on a daily basis during your last job?

More than 20.
Between 11 and 20.
Between 3 and 10. X
1 or 2.

Assessment Helpdesk: Toll-Free Phone (877) 622-8684   Email- ProveItHelp@Kenexa.com

#39 General Comment

The test works

AUTHOR: scott - (United States of America)

Anon, Given your attitude and your honest opinion of Lowes hiring process,which I am sure was reflected while you were taking the test; I really doubt that Lowes will contact you for a interview. Hence, they accomplished what they desired; they weeded you out and hired that man from India. The result being; you're unemployed, the man from India has a paying job; probably no longer is gathering trash, but has been given a raise and more responsibilities. Honestly, who do you believe really lost out? You or Lowes?

Sounds like this narcisstic jerk is unhappy because Lowe's..

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

found out he would be a really unreliable, ignorant, jackass.

If their screening process caught this wannabe employee and didn't hire him, they're doing something right.  He's over the top, not the application process.

Go ahead and accuse me of working for Lowes, too, that will make over 2 dozen companies this retiree has been accused of working for.  Hey, and maybe it was me that authored the application form...get a life, loser.

I'll give you a hint

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

i would love to know how many people actually meet their physch requirements

- Go into any Lowes and count the number of employees.  I just hope you can count that high.

YOu likely DO work at Lowes

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

The statement that 'i dont work at lowes' at the end of every one of your writings probably means YOU DO work at Lowes !    Who else would go through such an effort ...++ ?? what do you have to gain by spending your time propping up a very intrusive and DATA COLLECTION policy of application ?

You very likely do work for Lowes or some affiliation - who else would make it a point to end every one of there responses with 'I don't work at Lowes' ---   we got it the first time .. and then you repeated yourself .. ever heard of ' The lady doth protest too much ?' ....

I saw a new hire at Lowes .. an Indian (not native American) .. prob. very smart guy .. he was collecting the trash ...   ok ...  --- yeah he had good customer service skills because I talked to him, I think he was attending college ... the point is , the job was ____way____ beneath his capabilities ....

You have a rotten personality and I beleive you are a liar. How's that for my assessment of your character ?

Any body in their rite mind will say ... 'that was alot of test' .. 'it wasn't easy'   'it was long' ----
how desperate do people have to get to apply for a __remedial__ job ?
We're not talking cubical farm, email and phone skills here ....  like shop work ...  on your feet work .. with a smile ..    You likely are a great automoton for a large corporation.

Unless you are playing devil's advocate...  you are likely a paid rebutter .

I had to force myself to take that exam. Yes, it probably means I really didn't want the job. Really I don't, not that bad.

MEANWHILE --- Lowes is collecting thousands of data personal information, SS#, Address, Name, phone, etc. on applicants who won't be getting a job because they don't fit the 'profile' of the test and---- wasting the time of poor and desperate people playing russian roulette by wasting their time taking that 45 minute test of the 85 questions.

Lowe's

AUTHOR: TruthSayer - (USA)

Apparently, this "exam" is also a useful tool for weeding out undesirables who don't want to take the time and trouble to become part of their coporate family.  And it seems to be working, huh ?

it is a ripoff

AUTHOR: E - (United States of America)

a ripoff of my time .. for a bogus test for something that , even if i complete it , they arent going to hire me ! and they've grabbed all the personal info and then they can reject me on the basis that i dont meet their physchological requirements ---

People and news say .. "hey, Lowes is hiring..." but they don't say .. there is a long on-line exam that you may have a hard time passing ..

it's a scam.

it's a ripoff of my time and theirs ...  i would love to know how many people actually meet their physch requirements ... for a part time stocking position, it seems way unnecessary __and a waste of time __ .

Over the top?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I actually looked at the questions and the only thing that was "over the top" was the person complaining that they had to spend 30-45 minutes to do this.  If you can't take that much time to fill out an application how are you going to treat your job..right there would be enough to not hire you.

As for the questions they seemed like the standard questions that you would be asked in an interview the only difference is that the "interview" is on a computer rather than person to person.  They are looking to see how you would handle various Customer Service Issues, if you are a "Team Player", are you a "Self Starter" who takes the initiative.

As for the more "psychological questions"  they are mainly looking at your ethics.

For example one of the questions dealt with "seeing things through".  Well an employer is not going to want someone who doesn't always see things through.   Another example is questions that deals with owning up to your mistakes.  Depending on the mistake employers don't often mind the minor mistakes,  but if you don't take responsibility for your mistakes that says a lot about your character(in a bad way).

This is probably a very efficient way to interview people.  Instead of having a manager sit down and try to interview possibly 10-20 people in a day, they can have an unlimited number of people apply and then EQUALLY assess all of the potential employees.

If this format doesn't work for you then you are free to seek employment at other businesses.  Oh and by the way no I do not work for Lowes.

So don't apply

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

But this is their application policy.  You are free to take it or move on to somewhere with lower standards.  Your choice.  No Ripoff.

And - no I don't now, nor have I ever worked for Lowe's.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC