• Report: #1020373

• Submitted: Tue, February 26, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, February 26, 2013

• Reported By: dwhittah — Melbourne Florida United States of America
Lowe's Warranty Service

Lowe's Warranty Service poor service, little interest in actually doing the repair, spent 5 minutes in my home Internet

*Consumer Comment: I know what you mean.

Have you ever been to Lowe's and purchased an appliance?  Did you notice how everyone is super nice and they give pre-appointment confirmation calls and after-appointment follow-up calls?  Well, enjoy it while you can because the service you get after that initial installation is horrific.  I'm talking about the service advantage plan sold by Lowe's to cover repair of purchases such as appliances.  Please don't waste your money.  It isn't cheap anyway.  We paid $150+ on a $2000 purchase of a washer and dryer.  We thought "Hey, this is a big purchase and an extra 3 years of coverage is well worth it."  How wrong we were!   Now, I'm not even talking about a major repair -- motor, electrical parts, anything like that.  I'm talking about a simple broken seal.  The seal that keeps the water in the drum.  Somehow, over time, that seal had started splitting and had a pretty large tear in it before we even noticed the water leaking out onto our tile and into our garage.  Honestly, when I throw in a load of laundry, I don't do an inspection of the seal -- which is butted up to the front door of the washer and really not something that would jump out at you unless you were looking specifically for a problem.  Granted, the tear was quite large when we finally noticed the leak, but we certainly were not at fault.  So, I figured "This should be an easy one.  They just need to come and replace the seal and we're good to go."  I highly doubt that the part is very expensive, but either way, it is covered under warranty.  How do I know?  I called Lowe's customer service and they told me so.  When I was transferred to service advantage, it was not quite so cut and dry.  Major runaround!  Let me go back a little bit to the actual service call.

When I first called Lowe's I got the robocall voice recognition answering.  I had to speak clearly to the robot in order for it to register, but I finally got my call logged and my service date set up.  No live person for the entire process, mind you.  The call was about a week away, so I managed to do laundry at my parents' home (nothing like going back to my college days when I'm in my 40's) and at a laudromat once.  I was totally okay with this because there was a light at the end of the tunnel, right?  Wrong!  First of all, don't expect that pre-appointment confirmation.  I was given a 5 hour window of time.  When  it was 5 minutes before that window began, I called just to make sure they were coming. After all, there had been no attempt to contact me, the actual consumer.  So, I called the service company and was told that I was one of the first ones on the list, so it shouldn't be long.  Three hours later, in the very window of time when I had asked them to try not to show up (had to pick up my child), the service person arrived. Fortunately, my father was able to come to my home and wait just in case.  I'm sure they were very disappointed to find someone there.  The service man walked into my laundry room, took a less than 5 minute look at the part, said "I'll have to check with Lowe's about this," and left.  Seriously?  I had to have a 5 hour window of time for him to come for 5 minutes and do nothing?  That is absolutely ridiculously poor customer service in anyone's book.  When I arrived home and got the news (about 20 minutes after I had left), I immediately called the service company.  I was told that they couldn't reach the driver at all to ask why this had happened. The drivers have computers and they can't use them while driving for safety reasons.  I guess they hadn't heard of cell phones and actually receiving messages when stopped for their next service call.  Maybe their day ends at 3:30?  After all, they really don't do much.  I was livid.  I explained that this was a legitimate repair and that it was frustrating.  I added that I was certain that there were fraudulent cases everyday, but now that they have a legitimate one, they treat a customer badly. The attendant smirkily commented "Fraudulent repairs?  I don't know about that now."  I added that this was a relatively inexpensive repair and that there should be no reason to question it. Why would any sane person want to waste time getting a new seal on their washer?  It's a flipping piece of rubber, for goodness sake. Just live up to your word and repair it!!!  Getting nowhere with these jokers, I then called Lowe's service advantage. I explained in a very cool tone that I was ticked off.  Again, I was put off. I was told that I would hear from a manager within 3 business days.  Are you kidding me?  Now, I sit and wait for my call back.  I am frustrated, up to my eyeballs in laundry, and upset that I even wasted the $150 in the first place.  I will post an update soon.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2013 07:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lowes-Warranty-Service/internet/Lowes-Warranty-Service-poor-service-little-interest-in-actually-doing-the-repair-spent-1020373. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lowe's Warranty Service

I know what you mean.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

I purchased a large french door refrigerator and they tried to sell me one of the extended warranty plans.  I got burned on a new auto with one of these plans so I will never buy them again.  Anyway the delivery men were terrible and damaged my floor and front door.