Complaint Review: Lulu.com

860 Aviation Parkway, Suite 300 Morrisville, NC Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Lulu.com Took Advantage of Me, Didn't Pay Royalties Raleigh North Carolina

*Author of original report: Still Waiting For Justice

*UPDATE Employee: Response to Royalties Report

In 2009, I self-published a book of poetry through Lulu.com, having agreed to terms & conditions and a royalty rate.  After setting the price at $11.95, and paying extra for it to be sold on Amazon.com, I was very embarrassed when on the first day of sale it was steeply discounted to $8.95 and less.  And also on the first day, other sellers in the "used & new" section on the Amazon.com page had a copy they were selling for $500.

After emailing Lulu.com about this, they said that was their prerogative to set the price at whatever they felt like.
Nonetheless, I sold 72 copies of the book, and Lulu.com has not paid me one cent in royalties.  After trying to contact them multiple times, I was ignored or received short dismissive statements.  I removed my book from publication, and now I'm filing a Ripoff Report on them.

If you are an author considering putting an important book out, please avoid Lulu.com at all costs.  I do not want anyone else to be a victim of this demoralizing scenario perpetrated by the lowlife predators at Lulu.com

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2013 09:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lulucom/Raleigh-North-Carolina/Lulucom-Took-Advantage-of-Me-Didnt-Pay-Royalties-Raleigh-North-Carolina-1066860. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lulu.com

Still Waiting For Justice

AUTHOR: Ben M. - ()

I set the price of the book at $11.95, and it was slashed to $8.95 and less on the first day of sale, after I paid extra for it to be sold on Amazon.com.  So when you say "Lulu does not set pricing, an author sets the price", that turned out to not be true.  I've had many case numbers with Lulu.com, all of which went nowhere.  One recent case number is "00884277".

Not all sales from Amazon,com were reported to my Lulu account, and neither were the numerous copies of my book which Lulu sent to 3rd party vendors.

Response to Royalties Report

AUTHOR: Lulu Press, Inc - ()

We would very much like to further investigate this situation.  Lulu does not set pricing, an author sets the price.  If there were sales that were made and not paid, we are very interested in paying royalties.  Was there a case number we can reference, or your email address associated with your account, we can use to investigate?  Our intent is to pay authors what they are due, and give control to authors to set their own pricing.