Complaint Review: Lumber Liquidators

• Reported By: TJW — Orange Park Florida United States of America
Lumber Liquidators
624 Beautyrest AVE Jacksonville, Florida United States of America

Lumber Liquidators Failure to give credit for returns Jacksonville, Florida

*Consumer Comment: what is legal is not always right

*Consumer Comment: Sorry, for the most part, I have to agree with Lumber Liquidators,

I purchased pre-engineered Brazilian cherry flooring and three sections of cherry butcher block counter tops along with some tools and flooring adhesive on 05/18/2011.  The counter tops had to be special ordered and I picked up everything on
05/28/29011.  My total purchase was $2,941.18 which seems to me a rather substantial purchase.  Their flooring prices were very reasonable.  I would suggest that you AVOID buying any extras from them such as tools, glue and accessories.  They have a 30 day return policy which apparently is iron clad.  My salesperson advised me that I needed 20 gallons (four five gallon buckets)of flooring adhesive based on the square footage of flooring I was installing.  This "recommendation" was more than
double what was necessary to complete the installation.  (Only 1 1/2 5 gallon buckets were used.)  It appears to me that he was either ill advised or was "padding" my bill with far more material than was necessary.  My home was being rebuilt after a lightning strike and fire on April 5th of 2011.  There were no less than seven construction completion dates which caused my flooring to be installed far later than was originally anticipated.  The flooring was not installed until the latter part of August.

I attempted to return the two unopened buckets of flooring adhesive and was told rather rudely that there was nothing that they could do as the 30 day return window had expired.  That same day I called Customer Service with Lumber Liquidators and explained my situation and what had transpired.  I requested that they allow me to return the adhesive for full credit in view of my unusual circumstances and that I had purchased far too much adhesive based on an improper recommendation by their salesperson. I was informed that she would speak with the store to see if some sort of resolution could be made such as a partial refund after a restocking fee or perhaps an in store credit.  A week later she called me back and told me that she had spoken with the store and that there was nothing could done to help me as the 30 day period had expired.  Her only suggested solution was for me to donate the adhesive to a charity such as Habitat for Humanity.  In my tax bracket the two five gallon buckets of adhesive which cost me $95 each, with a total of $203.30 would yield me no deduction on my federal income tax return as I do not make enough money (the only income for my wife and myself is social security) and we do not have enough deductions to be able to itemize my deductions.  This was hardly a viable solution in my mind.  I sold the unused adhesive to a flooring contractor for $75 per five gallon bucket which represents a loss to me of $53.30.  While they were contractually correct in enforcing the 30 day return policy, it seemed to me that they cared more for the money than maintaining good customer relations with someone what had spent almost $3,000 in their store.

AGAIN - DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING OTHER THAT FLOORING FROM THIS COMPANY OR YOU MAY BE RIPPED OFF AS WAS I.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2011 01:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Lumber-Liquidators/Jacksonville-Florida-32205/Lumber-Liquidators-Failure-to-give-credit-for-returns-Jacksonville-Florida-778116. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Lumber Liquidators

what is legal is not always right

AUTHOR: Varnermh - (United States of America)

Thank you for the report.  Though he is right, they did follow their policy, they made a shortsighted and arrogant decision.  I am building a new house with 2400 Sq feet of hardwood.  We were considering Lumber Liquidators Natural Acacai over another local flooring house.  I hate doing buisness with organizations that are ticky tack on policy when you have spent considerable money with them thus this has helped make my decision.  At 6.00 a sq/ft, I hope they read this and do some quick math to figure out that their stupid adhesive just became very expensive to them.

Sorry, for the most part, I have to agree with Lumber Liquidators,

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Your return request was 3 months out of their return policy.

It's not their fault that you were delayed. You did make a valid point that the employee likely erred in the amount needed.  I don't know if he just figures wrong, didn't know the surface it was going on or you used less (with a smaller toothed trowel) than the average.

You DID make a smart move by selling the leftover adhesive to a contractor...nice move.

This doesn't mean I don't understand your feelings on this, my wife and I are also retired and on Social Security.  Hope your rebuilt home is beautiful again.