Complaint Review: Luna flooring- Kate Zilke (Project Mngr)

• Submitted: Wed, July 25, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, July 26, 2012

• Reported By: Lawrence — Aurora Illinois United States of America
Luna flooring- Kate Zilke (Project Mngr)
10 N Davis Dr. Bellwood, Illinois United States of America

Luna flooring- Kate Zilke (Project Mngr) Matt? (Customer Service) Luna installed my hardwood floors, but have yet to finish my stairs! Bellwood, Illinois

*UPDATE Employee: Luna Apology

*General Comment: Bad Business

Luna Flooring installed about 1,200 square feet of wood flooring, in my home, beginning on June9, 2012. The wood floors were brought to my home around 5 days before the installation in order for the wood to adapt to the enviroment of my home,  to eliminate as much possibility of warping, or whatever else wood does. The young man who delivered the floors, opened the very first box that he brought in, for me to inspect and ok it, for color. I questioned the color , because it  had a redish color to it. The color I ordered is called gunstock, so I checked the carton to make sure he was delivering the right thing.  The cartons were all marked gunstock for the color, so I accepted it. And I might add, I did like the color and still do.

The Luna installers came in Saturday, June 9th, 2012 to begin the job of ripping out the carpet and laying the new floors. [continued below]....
..... They tore out all the carpet and layed one small room on Saturday, then returned the following Monday, June 11th . They ended up finishing everything on June14th, except the stairs, which Luna told me from the beginning that they would be custom made in their shop, and it would be about a week after the floors were installed, that the stairs would be ready and installed.

On July 2nd, 2012 the same installers came back with the finished, custom made stairs. I was so glad that the stairs were finally going to be layed and my floors complete. They began at the bottom stair, but this time they did not ask me me to approve the color, but instead began to install the stars. It is only speculation on my part, but I believe, after the intaller was up to the third step, he noticed, or decided at that point, he had better come up with an exuse to get me to come over to look at the stairs to see if I would notice there was a color difference.

Well needless to say, I did notice and told him that it was unacceptable, and not to continue. Unfortunatley, he already cut off the fronts of every step for the installation.  Now it's awkward  and dangerous to walk up and down the stairs. (Could'nt Luna be liable if someone gets hurt?)

He called his superior and sent him a picture  comparison of the floor to the stair. The installer said Luna will usually try to offer you money to accept it the way it is, but to his surprise they didn't this time. I believe it's because the color of the stairs was too far off, and I told him I would say no anyway. By the way, the color of the stairs is the gunstock color I thought the floors were going to be in the first place.

Well, it's now been over three weeks and I can not get Luna to return a call. I talked to Matt twice, and  Kate Zilke twice. On July 3rd I called Luna to ask when and what they were going to do to resolve this, Kate in our first convesation said there is no guarantee that the stairs would match the floors. She said, she was going to have to charge me to match the stair color to the floors.  I told her, it did not state in the contract, that I signed, anything about charging for that, and if I saw, in the contract, anything that implied that , I would not have had Luna do the job. And furthermore, that they would lose in a court of law if Luna did try to charge me after the fact.  Kate said she was going to check a few things and get back to me.

A half hour later, she called me back, said she was going to have her stair staining guy match  the stair to the floor at the shop, send a sample via, fed-x, to my house for approval, that week at no charge to me. I was very pleased with her promptness and the fact she was not going to persue tacking on unjustified charges.    I made one last attempt today, I got thru to Matt again, only because I wouldn't identify myself when I called, and he promised me he'd get back to me today, that was early today, it's now nearly midnight, what do ya think?, are they just incompetent, or forgetful? I wish I knew, but they won't talk to me.

So, I haven't heard from Kate or anyone else from Luna, despite seven messages left on either Kate's voice mail or leaving messages with one of her other co-workers. I am so frustrated, it is beyond belief,  a company of this size and stature, would be or could be this unprofessional. Can you imagine what they might do if the money wasn't there for the job they did?

They did get paid, in full, over $11,000. I'd bet anything, if they had to finish the job bere they got paid I wouldn't be sitting here typing this complaint.    I now have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bereau and on this website.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2012 10:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Luna-flooring-Kate-Zilke-Project-Mngr/Bellwood-Illinois-60104/Luna-flooring-Kate-Zilke-Project-Mngr-Matt-Customer-Service-Luna-installed-my-hardw-917628. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Luna flooring- Kate Zilke (Project Mngr)

Luna Apology

AUTHOR: Chris - (USA)

Dear Lawrence,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about the stairs and your experience thus far with our customer service staff.  We sincerely apologize that the colors did not match up and that you have been unable to reach Kate or Matt.  We take your feedback seriously and would like to make sure we respond to you right away and get this situation fixed as soon as possible.  If you would like to email me directly at cmonroe@luna.com with your account info (name, phone, etc.) I will get you in touch with someone who can help you right away.  Thank you for your comments, we truly want you to love your hardwood floors and of course your stairs, I will do whatever I can to help expedite this process!

Sincerely, Chris

#2 General Comment

Bad Business

AUTHOR: bacraze - (United Kingdom)

The color that arrived was not the one you ordered, But you OK'd it and accepted what had arrived. And when the stairs came, it was the original color that you picked? Think about that.

As far as the business not responding and seeming like they are wanting/going to do anything about it is very bad business like, and this would be a business to avoid.