Complaint Review: MACYS

• Submitted: Mon, October 13, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, January 07, 2009

• Reported By:ann Arbor Michigan
MACYS
www.macys.com Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.

MACYS Implorable customer service!!! DO NOT USE MACYS CHARGE Minneapolis Minnesota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You must not know how credit works

I have held a Macys charge card since 1994. With the exception of one or two times, all my payments have been timely and at least the minimum.

On October 10, 2008 I went to charge a $90 jacket and my card was declined. The Macys clerk called the customer service line and I was told that I had a "guideline" put on my account for $75.00.

After 2 more phone calls and my card declined, I got a customer service rep who explained to me that:
- MACYS lowered my credit limit to $75.00 in June of 2008 because of MY OUTSIDE CREDIT RATING - completely UNRELATED to my Macys charge (I have outstanding medical bills from an accident)

- The rep informed me that MACYS was under no obligation to inform me of the decrease on my credit limit

- She also let me know that because my credit limit was reduced to $75.00 (what can you possibly buy from MACYS for $75.00??????), I was now $300 OVER my credit limit (my balance was $380).

I told her to close the charge account b/c I'd NEVER shop there again!!!!!!!!!

BEWARE! If you have any sort of a low credit score, MACYS will decrease your credit line WITHOUT telling you!!!

Annie
ann Arbor, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/13/2008 12:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MACYS/Minneapolis-Minnesota/MACYS-Implorable-customer-service-DO-NOT-USE-MACYS-CHARGE-Minneapolis-Minnesota-380791. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MACYS

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You must not know how credit works

AUTHOR: Jablonski - (U.S.A.)

I hope you realize that almost every credit company operates in the same manner. EVERY credit card you own reviews your credit report, and if your score drops below their minimum requirement, then they can lower your limit. The credit card companies look at your score, and if it is low the thinking is, "This person isn't paying all their bills(being too over extended), how long will it be before they can't pay our bill." They are required to send you a notification (usually a letter) of this per the Fair Accurate Credit Transaction Act. However, it is possible that your letter got lost in the mail, or you threw it away thinking it was junk mail. As far as the credit rep telling you they didn't need to tell you why your limit was lowered, what can I say, sometimes employees don't know everything. When in doubt, ask for a supervisor.