Complaint Review: MBNA Bank Of America

• Submitted: Wed, December 06, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, March 18, 2007

• Reported By:Santa Barbara California
MBNA Bank Of America
Pobox 37291 Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

MBNA Bank Of America deceptive, possibly fraudulent changes to cardholder agreement, jacked my rate up 500%, during merger Ripoff Baltimore Nationwide

*UPDATE Employee: PROMOTIONAL MEANS there is a time period on the rate

I just found out today that my 'promotional' interest rate went from 3.99% to 19.98%, an unknown number months ago.

I was told this was a result of MBNA merging with Bank of America.

The customer service rep told me they sent me a letter 'asking' if this was okay, and telling me that if I didn't answer, the rate would go up. I never got such a letter.

During phone calls, I was told the new rate became effective in June 2006. Then I was told it happened in March 2006, January 2006, April 8 2006, and December 2005.

I have always paid my bill on time, and usually more than the minimum amount due.

This has cost me over $6.00 per day for months.

Michael
Santa Barbara, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/06/2006 10:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MBNA-Bank-Of-America/Baltimore-Maryland-21297/MBNA-Bank-Of-America-deceptive-possibly-fraudulent-changes-to-cardholder-agreement-jack-224015. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MBNA Bank Of America

PROMOTIONAL MEANS there is a time period on the rate

AUTHOR: Mooky - (U.S.A.)

SIMPLE.. Promotional rate means it last for a certain time, this had nothing to do with the merge. If you cant maintain your account with the current apr, ask for a reduced payment plan.