Complaint Review: MBS Direct

• Submitted: Tue, November 16, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, August 28, 2012

• Reported By: Cynthia — Springfield Pennsylvania United States of America
MBS Direct

MBS Direct UPS Failure to pay for book damaged in shipping by UPS and failure to return damaged book, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff on returns

*General Comment: Agree 100 percent

I answered an email to have my textbook bought back by MBS. I was given a quote of $80.00 as payment for the book I was sending. I got an email to print out the prepaid label, package the book, and return it by UPS.

I mailed the package at a Staples Store UPS drop off. I received an email about a week later stating that the book was received damaged and that I needed to file a claim with UPS. I was given a claim number and I followed up with UPS. I received the paperwork from UPS and faxed the necessary information including the receipt for the purchase price of the book.

After not receiving a check, I contacted UPS to find out the status of my claim. I was told that the claim was closed. I asked the agent why and I was told because of the contract that UPS has with MBS the claim would not be paid and that I needed to contact MBS.

I contacted MBS and was told that the contract basically states that damaged property would not be the responsibility of either company if the consumer(student)used the prepaid label because the label is not insured.

I then asked MBS for my book to be returned to me so I could at least have use of the book, and I was told that they no longer have the book.

My issue is that MBS has my book and can resell it at a reduced price and I am out of both book and money because I used a prepaid label provided by the company. Secondly, if the email gave the option to pay for postage and insure the package myself, I would have taken that option to make sure that I would be compensated if the property had been damaged. I am an adult student returning to school due to unemployment and I was using this money for school expenses. This is an unfair business practice by both companies that leaves the consumer(student)without money, property, or a right to file a claim.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/16/2010 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MBS-Direct/internet/MBS-Direct-UPS-Failure-to-pay-for-book-damaged-in-shipping-by-UPS-and-failure-to-return-da-662672. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MBS Direct

Ripoff on returns

AUTHOR: Rob33785 - (United States of America)

As usual I bought my son's textboooks from MBSDirect.  Three weeks after I received the books I received an email from the company saying the school had changed the required textbook for one class.  I should return the one I ordered and get the new (more expensive) one.  I returned that book and two french books as my son's schedule changed.  All were new, untouched and in the same condition I received them.  When MBSDirect refunded me, they said two of the three books were used due to a nick on one corner and a small crease in another of the books.  They were new and I should have received a full refund.   Next year I will order via Barnes and Nobles!

#2 General Comment

Agree 100 percent

AUTHOR: henchris37 - (United States of America)

Hey,

I just wanted to say that my University contracts with them for books and I ordered a few this semester and returned them because I am no longer going to take those classes.

So I returned the books a few weeks ago and now I have to wait two more weeks to get a credit to my debit card. This is a joke in a half.

They over-charge for books. I get a lot of my books from bookrenter.com now but if the University has a book that comes either from the University or is pre-packaged with other materials you def. have to buy at their marked up prices.

Oh and another thing, they charge ridicoulous shipping fees.

I was going to order a $19.00 book and they wanted $11.00+ to ship UPS Ground.

Oh and another thing, if you go to MBS Direct and Textbooks.com same shipping address and Textbooks.com has cheaper prices. What a joke!!