Complaint Review: MCI - Long Distance

• Updated: Sun, December 23, 2012

• Reported By:Ashburn Virginia
MCI - Long Distance
Nationwide U.S.A.

MCI - Long Distance Ripoff ripoff They are not my company but they billed me! Ashburn Virginia

*Consumer Suggestion: A chang you did not make

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Sorry ..many horror stories as well as stories of MCI changing peoples lives.

*Consumer Suggestion: Call You Local Phone Company

*Consumer Suggestion: I've been there with MCI too!

I am INFURIATED!! MCI is NOT repeat NOT my long distance provider, I chose Sprint - however, out of the blue, MCI shows up on my bill for well over $100 in long distance charges. This happened last month as well and I'm not, repeat not paying this bill. I am an extremely savvy financial woman and would never pay $4.97 per MINUTE for ANY company's long distance service. I have NEVER had nor do I want service with MCI.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Is there any legal action being taken on this type of ripoff?

J
Ashburn, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/28/2003 05:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MCI-Long-Distance/nationwide/MCI-Long-Distance-Ripoff-ripoff-They-are-not-my-company-but-they-billed-me-Ashburn-Virg-64826. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MCI - Long Distance

#1 Consumer Suggestion

A chang you did not make

AUTHOR: Mr. S. - (United States of America)

This Is called a slam,another Long Distance comes In behind your selection and says they are your Long Distance carrier.  The Fix Is to tell your Local carrier to freeze the long distance carrier to your choice. Then other companies can not change it only you can.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Sorry ..many horror stories as well as stories of MCI changing peoples lives.

AUTHOR: Ron - (U.S.A.)

J in Ashburn:

I am a ex-employee of MCI and from what your describing it looks as though you have been randomly billed. How this happens is you may or may not have chosen a LD carrier, but for some reason none was placed on your lines. The local company then routes your call randomly to any LD carrier. Since there is no plan, you are basically gouged on a connection fee and per min. If you call MCI and ask for a manager and complain long enough, you will get to E-Gate. There they have more flexibility with credit guidelines.

I also would like to state that MCI has a system set up that records all of the verification information. Working 3 12 hour shifts allowed me to take many calls back to back and slams calls were common. We would request the tape and listen. I can tell you that most of the time it was a spouse if not the person calling giving the information and authorization to Third Party Verifiers. Even so, we would still have people complaining that they were switched illegally which makes it harder for those that do.

When calling customer service MCI goals all of them on sales. If goals are not met, you can be terminated. We also have 612 secs about to resolve your problem and get on to the next call. We are also rated on this. Bonuses given out are also based on these. It's a company that you choose that tells the employees how they need to treat you. 612 seconds and I have been written up 2 times for not hitting aht goals. My team is mad because im keeping them out of winning prizes because I am taking ccare of the customers concerns. Alot of pressure is unneedily put on the Representative. Also Sales is a separate division of MCI. Their best sellers will always get away with doing things that are not across the board. I overheard a supervisor tell someone that they should basically scam old people. When I asked if he would like ME to do that to his grandmother. He quietly exited the breakroom.

There are many horror stories as well as stories of MCI changing peoples lives. I made a decent amount of money, made many friends, and enjoyed helping as many people as I can which included a 2 hr call for a woman who wanted to kill herself.

Unfortunately I was bitten by a brown recluse 3 times at MCI and am in litigation with them about money owed for workers comp. I would still be there today, one rep. who wished to truly make every customer that called happy with at least me.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Call You Local Phone Company

AUTHOR: Peggi - (U.S.A.)

J-

A few years ago, I was switched without my consent by not only MCI, but also Sprint. I called my local phone company, and they suggested that they put a flag on my number. From now on, whenever they get a request/order to switch my long distance carrier, they call me to verify it before they actually do it. It costs me nothing for the service. BTW, no one has tried to switch me since.
Hope this is helpful!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

I've been there with MCI too!

AUTHOR: April - (U.S.A.)

I can sympothize with your fustration. I placed a report on MCI, report # 32960. I to was switched and charged from MCI when we did not use any such long distance carrier. After battling with them for numerous months, they finally took my name off their list of customers. But, they placed a block on our phone number to which we were unable to even use 1010220 for long distance calls. When calling our local phone company, they tell us that becase MCI was our carrier, thatMCI placed the block and it would remain there for 6 months. Yet, again, MCI was NOT our acrrier and no authorization was ever made for MCI to become such.

I have a friend who is works for an independent long distance company. He tells me, still to date, that MCI switches about 20,000 people a month over to their long distance service without consent. MCI usually gets noticed by about half of these people, other don't notice. So you figure for all those that don't notice, MCI has not only illegally changed them, but making millions.

I filed a complaint with the FCC, I would suggest you do the same, you can do this via internet at www.fcc.gov. The more complaints, the less likely they are to be able to do this to others. To bad half of these people are getting screwed and not knowing it.

Good luck!