• Report: #196095

• Submitted: Mon, June 12, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, October 18, 2006

• Reported By:Raleigh North Carolina
MCJ Solutions
5410 Nc Highway 55 Durham, North Carolina U.S.A.

MCJ Solutions ripoff IRS Trouble Anyone out there have any 411 how I can gte proof I attended? Durham North Carolina

*Consumer Suggestion: Who did your taxes?

*Consumer Comment: MCJ solutions

This is a loong shot, I have no clue where to turn to.

I've seen others like myself, burned by MCJ Solutions in Durham, NC.

I had initally put down $1023 in October of 2001 to start training there. I financed the rest thru MCJ.

I had taken a write off for my 2001 Federal taxes as an education deduction for the $1023 I had used to make a down payment for my MCSE training at MCJ.

The school never reported to the IRS that I was a student.

What was supposed to be a $150 refund, has now turned into a $1600 debt to the IRS because they have denied me my honest deduction. I'm hoping that someone out on the Internet can help point me in the right direction -- all I need to do is get proof that I was a student at MCJ Solutions.

Otherwise, not only did MCJ Solutions rip me off for a grand, now I have the mighty IRS on my tail for $1600 that I don't owe!

Mike
Raleigh, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2006 05:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MCJ-Solutions/Durham-North-Carolina-27713/MCJ-Solutions-ripoff-IRS-Trouble-Anyone-out-there-have-any-411-how-I-can-gte-proof-I-atten-196095. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MCJ Solutions

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Who did your taxes?

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

I am thinking that you probably did them yourself. There are many factors in determining the education credit such as total income, etc.. Perhaps you took the whole amount instead of a %. I don't really know.

If you had a professional tax preparer do them, why don't you take your IRS letter to them? I am sure they would help you straighten the matter out. It doesn't appear that you have done that which makes me think you did your taxes yourself.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people who do their own taxes make errors. They want to save a buck by not paying someone who knows what they are doing. And then they end up with problems such as yours. This is not to say that preparers don't make mistakes because they sometimes do.

However there are some companies who stand behind their preparers work by a guarantee. For example they will pay interest and penalties if it was the preparers fault and also if you spend a few extra bucks they guarantee that the taxes are paid also IF it is found it was the preparers fault.

My suggestion to you is to always use a professional tax preparer to do your taxes. Note that I said Tax Preparer--not an Accountant. Many accountants do not keep up with tax laws or take classes like we do every year and many of them sadly don't have a clue about doing taxes.

Good luck to you. If you did them yourself go read about the education credit on the IRS website or get a Pub 17 or perhaps take classes and learn how to do taxes correctly yourself. Just remember that interest and penalties will keep accumulating until you pay them off. You can set up a payment plan with them also.

It is likely that this school does not qualify you for the credit.

MCJ solutions

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

i was a student of MCJ solutions around the same time you were. i wound up paying about 1000 dollars before they disappeared off the map.

they went under for some reason or another. some say that the owner skipped to mexico because he was bouncing checks. who knows?

Anyway, have you taken any exams at MCJ? if you did, get a copy of the exam report from the company you tested with ( in my case, Comptia since i tested for my a+ cert). this may help with yout IRS problem.

good luck