Complaint Review: MD Collections

• Submitted: Thu, September 09, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, September 09, 2010

• Reported By: Creditscoresuffering — Mission Viejo California United States of America
MD Collections
PO Box 73848 San Clemente, California United States of America

MD Collections Collecting on a Debt Already Paid and Inflating the Original Amount Owed San Clemente, California

I just received a collection notice in the Mail.  Collector contends that I owe them $178.00.  I called them and asked what this was for?  The person on the other end of the phone would not tell me.  I hung up and asked to speak to the Manager.  Manager tells me that it is for a $20.00 co-pay that was never collected.  I told him that first, I do not owe it, the Doctor always collects the co-pay up frount and that I paid cash.  He then proceeded to tell me that I now owe $178.00 for the 3 bills that they have sent trying to collect $20.00???  I told him that I wanted to see proof of this.  He told me that he did not have to send it to me.  I confirmed the address that they supposevly sent the bills to and it was my current address, but I never received a bill in the mail for $20.00 from Blue Cross.  He told me that I needed to pay the $178.00 and that this amount will increase, as they charge $25.00 everytime they send out a bill.  This is highly illegal.  I told them that I would pay them the $20.00 which was the original amount and he told me "NO" and that thier client will not settle.

I have filed a complaint with the FTC and the California Attorney Generals Office.

I am also contesting this on my credit report which has suffered because of this error.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  The Attorney I work for says to sue them.  I don't think its worth it for $178.00.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/09/2010 05:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MD-Collections/San-Clemente-California-92672/MD-Collections-Collecting-on-a-Debt-Already-Paid-and-Inflating-the-Original-Amount-Owed-S-639230. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MD Collections