Complaint Review: MERRICK BANK - VISA

• Submitted: Thu, November 19, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, December 22, 2009

• Reported By: Shawna — Blue Mount Maryland U.S.A.
MERRICK BANK - VISA

MERRICK BANK - VISA Unfair Annual Fee of $90 beginning in Dec 2009 Internet

*General Comment: Sign of the times...

*Consumer Comment: Unjust Bank Fee

*Consumer Comment: merrick bank

*Consumer Comment: Ridiculous?

Been with Merrick Bank a few years, no problems.  All of a sudden they want to add a $90 annual fee in which they will add an extra $8/month to my bill to cover it.  It's ridiculous.  I got this card with no annual fee, that is why I chose it.  A few years later, here they are wanting to charge me for it.  That is a catch that I never thought of.  Now I know.  I did have a couple late payments this past year, but fixed it right away.  But, they did cancel any usage of my card without my permission and want me to call them about it.  I have not done anything wrong except the 2 late payments that I paid when I found out I was a week late.  They said nothing would affect my credit, but I think it did just for those 2 late payments.  They have lost a customer.  The new policy about the new annual fee is if the consumer does not agree with the new fee's, the card will be closed for good.  I hope so.  I am done with them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2009 01:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MERRICK-BANK-VISA/internet/MERRICK-BANK-VISA-Unfair-Annual-Fee-of-90-beginning-in-Dec-2009-Internet-525892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MERRICK BANK - VISA

#1 General Comment

Sign of the times...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

Thank your Congress.

Unjust Bank Fee

AUTHOR: mike4real - (United States of America)

I too am a customer of Merrick Bank. I have had a ZERO balance on my card since May 2009. In December I received a bill for $5.00, I knew I had a ZERO balance so I phoned them about it and they explained that it was a monthly card holder fee. So I paid the fee on December 17 and closed the account. I received another bill December 21 for $5.00 the January card holder fee. I promptly phoned Merrick again and they stated it was the November fee. No I explained the statement plainly states ANN FEE 1/10 THROUGH 01/10. I explained to them that since the account was closed on December 17 that I am NOT going to pay the January FEE.

merrick bank

AUTHOR: denny - (United States of America)

hi, just an fyi, i have a merrick bank account that is about 5yrs old. I've had no problems and i have paid it in FULL every month without any late payments ever! Still, i just received a notice that my annual fee will go from 0 to 48.00 per year. so dont be so hard on the above contributor who was late on his payments. they are charging anyway, regardless of your payment history. best regards, D

Ridiculous?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You got the card with no annual fee, but you also got the card under the agreement that you would make your payments ON-TIME.  Not almost every time..but EVERYTIME.  Since you were late not once, but twice they probably have determined that you are a higher risk.  Higher risk = Higher fees.

- This has got to be one of the classic lines of all times.  They do not need YOUR permission to restrict the card, because it is NOT your money.  They are granting the privilege of using THEIR money, and as such they can withdraw that privilege at any time.  They actually gave you a second chance.  Because a lot of credit card companies are closing out credit cards if the account holder is late only one time.

They are correct about your credit report.  Unless you are 30 days late you will be reported as current to the credit bureaus.