Complaint Review: MIdwest Realty Services

• Updated: Thu, March 14, 2013

• Reported By: Evan — Minneapolis Minnesota United States of America
MIdwest Realty Services
12800 Industrial Park Blvd Internet United States of America

MIdwest Realty Services Abuse of Alleged Repair/Rental Charges for Property , Internet

*Consumer Comment: Water Bill Due MARCH 22nd!

*Author of original report: About Evan McBurrows

*Author of original report: Rebuttal

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Final response

*Consumer Comment: Unreasonable charges

*Consumer Comment: Unreasonable charges

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Follow up to MIdwest Realty Services Abuse of Alleged Repair/Rental Charges

*Consumer Comment: Security Deposit Ripoff

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Response to MIdwest Realty Services Abuse of Alleged Repair

Myself and my sister signed a lease to rent a townhouse property on July 10th 2012.  In October of 2012 we signed to extend the lease an additional year.  Based on a job opportunity my sister was relocated to Arizona in December.  We communicated the need to terminate the lease early with the company at which time.

We completed all lease termination paperwork and completed a key turn in on December 28th 2012.  We continued to pay rent on the property until new tenants were found.  We were informed that tenants had been approved and would be moving in on March 1st, 2013 if not potentially sooner.  The tenants moved in a few days early and I attempted to contact Chad Eichten about the status of the Security Deposit.  Below is the email thread that I had with him back and forth about the fact the Security Deposit should have been returned at the time that we vacated the property and no longer had access to the property back in December. [continued below]....
..... The issue has been dropped now as I just received an invoice that they have assessed over $1200 in cleaning and repair of a property that was left in great condition.  There was no dispute as to the need for carpet cleaning but the unit was left spotless from top to bottom.

Here is a breakdown of what was charged:

Cleaning  3.5 Hours@ $65 an hour=     227.50
Fridge cleaning interiort and exterior
Cleaning of cabinets and drawers
cleaning of microwave
cleaning of all air vents, window blinds, utility room
bathrooms
garage sweeping

Repairs   10.5Hours @$65 an hour= 682.50
furnace filter- filter (was previously replaced in december will be providing receipt of purchase from target in small claims)
dining room- light bulb replacement
garage- ligh bulb replacement
stairs- light bulb replacement
hall- replace 4 light bulbs
master bedroom- replace 2 bulbs
replace 3 door stops, remove less than 8 nails used for pictures and repainting where needed

Carpet cleaning 213.75

The charges listed and amount of time they have billed for are absurd.  I have pictures of how the property was left (each room) prior to turning in the keys.  I have submitted a review on google about this company so my contact info can be found there.  I will be more than happy to provide the pictures to back up my claim other than the carpets required a cleaning due to regular home occupancy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/10/2013 02:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MIdwest-Realty-Services/internet/MIdwest-Realty-Services-Abuse-of-Alleged-RepairRental-Charges-for-Property-Internet-1026553. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MIdwest Realty Services

Water Bill Due MARCH 22nd!

AUTHOR: mcburwh08 - ()

Chad Eichsten "He did not pay the water bill, which he was also responsible to maintain".  Attached the final water bill received with a due date of March 22 with service ending March 1.  Get your facts straight before you go on a rampage with lies.

About Evan McBurrows

AUTHOR: Evan - (United States of America)

Since Chad Eichten has decided to post my my personal information on this website in terms of 1st and last name here is a little background about me, if people are wondering am I someone trying to nickle and dime a company.

My name is Evan McBurrows a current contract engineer with Medtronic and prior to this position I spent the last 2 years working as an Engineer at Boston Scientific.  I own 2 homes, a rental property  in  Indiana and I own and live in the unit adjacent to the townhouse in question.  All 3 credit scores are well above 750 and the only collections I dealt with are an old hospital bill and water bill from when I was a college student.  Feel free to do a public records search on me at your leisure.

Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Evan - (United States of America)

Chad perhaps you should have performed your due diligence with your former employee Jason before making any statements.  I have left previous voicemails with Jason in regards to asking for an update on that status fo the security desposit and also confirming that I knew carpet cleaning would be necessary as it had not be cleaned professionaly prior to move out.  Post the rest of the pictures that you have if you don't mind.  What I see is that a vent could have been vacummed again and the removal dish in the microwave needed cleaning.  OH andd can't forget about streaks on the stove surface.  Show the damage of the paper thing blinds that required replacing, and once again as I have stated from my first posting if the average person finds it reasonable to pay that much for prepping a unit for rent, then I guess they can look forward to doing business with you.

You did leave out some interesting facts Chad.  We have been requesting work orders since early January as to what had been done in the unit with a response from you that indicated it is not due legally due.  Here is your email statement.

By state law, we have 21 days (3 weeks) to send you a letter and refund detailing expenses incurred in relation to the lease agreement.  Keep in mind, we have to receive a final water bill from the city of Brooklyn Park in order to complete the amount due, which takes some time.

According to your hand notes the work was done back in January so why was there such a long delay in provided the requested documentation?  Your itemized billing and hand written charges were sent immediately after I emailed you about the fact I said the new tenants moved in on Feb 25th contrary to what you are stating about the 26th.  I will provide an additional picture of my current residence which shares a large driveway with the unit in question, to show you how obvious it is I would know when a moving truck shows up in the evening at my house because I can see and here the d**n thing when it pulls up.  I am also awaiting the final utility bill from Centerpointe because I have been told over the phone services were transfered to a new tenant on Feb 25th.  So tell me this Chad, what tenants do you know of go around activating utilities in their name for a unit they have yet to do a final walk through in?  That's renting 101 you don't turn on anything until you have checked the place out, and there is usually a 5 day grace period that the management company will charge back to you on your 2nd bill.  You tried your best in rebuttals I am done spending my time dragging out the points that have been made time and time again.  Do yourself a favor Chad post every picture you have and doctor them up.  You aren't winning any potential customer confidence over stating what I acknowledged.  I signed a form to terminate the lease early, at the time I didn't know it was making a deal with an open checkbook to fatten your pockets with.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Final response

AUTHOR: Chad Eichten - (United States of America)

Whitney and Evan, this is my final response to this nonsense.  Please review your own posting above about what you were charged.  As you know, the maintenance crew that painted and replaced all of the nonworking light bulbs worked for 13 hours from the timesheet that I sent to you, but we only charged you for 10.5 hours.  They used 4 gallons of paint, but we only charged you for 1 gallon.  There were blinds that were broken, you were not charged for those.  We mitigated all of these expenses for you, but yet you still want to argue about it.  I have provided you with photos showing the place that you claim you thoroughly cleaned is not clean.  You have to take responsibility for these things at some point and not try and push them onto someone else and make it their problem.  Please review all of the timesheets, final letter sent to you, the photos, and any other information that I provided to you so that you understand why you were charged what you were.  Were not charged exactly $1000, there is a balance due that you owe, which is clearly indicated on the letter.

For any tenants that read this, if you enter into an agreement please abide by and follow the agreement.  If you fail to meet certain aspects of the agreement, someone has to pay for those areas and resolve the situation.

Unreasonable charges

AUTHOR: mcburwh08 - (United States of America)

Actually the second post is from Whitney McBurrows, the other tenant. No one has even brought up the carpet cleaning. Despite your responses, they have yet to address the issue. The charge of 65 dollars a hour is not being disrupted, yet it the fact that it took 13.5 hours to complete normal wear and tear. The listed items and hours they took are in no way reasonable. Please attach pictures of the drawers and under fridge mess and missing blinds that the work receipt states. A crumb in the microwave, a normal wear and tear stove top, normal wear and tear carpet spot. Funny thing is I replaced the filter prior to moving out. We could careless if you have been the owner for 80 years, you can quote your lease agreement and lease termination agreement until your blue in the face. Show me the nails that were removed and the walls that needed painted which took 10 hours to do and show me the workers mileage on their car since you want to include that too. You are right about one thing and one thing only, we will continue to make it known how we ripped were ripped off to the fullest. Please show me the so called "mess" that was left! Tell me why it took until March 6 when requests were made in January to see the cleaning breakdown. Why was it finally sent on March 6, after Evan demanded the refund. Why does the work done just magically add up to the 1000 security deposit, less the water bill. Please explain that part that you failed to address. Sounds like retaliation to me, and we look forward to your justifications and/or explanations on that issue.

Unreasonable charges

AUTHOR: mcburwh08 - (United States of America)

Actually the second post is from Whitney McBurrows, the other tenant. No one has even brought up the carpet cleaning. Despite your responses, they have yet to address the issue. The charge of 65 dollars a hour is not being disrupted, yet it the fact that it took 13.5 hours to complete normal wear and tear. The listed items and hours they took are in no way reasonable. Please attach pictures of the drawers and under fridge mess and missing blinds that the work receipt states. A crumb in the microwave, a normal wear and tear stove top, normal wear and tear carpet spot. Funny thing is I replaced the filter prior to moving out. We could careless if you have been the owner for 80 years, you can quote your lease agreement and lease termination agreement until your blue in the face. Show me the nails that were removed and the walls that needed painted which took 10 hours to do and show me the workers mileage on their car since you want to include that too. You are right about one thig and one thing only, we will continue to make it known how we ripped were ripped off to the fullest. Please show me the so called "mess" that was left! Tell me why it took until March 6 when requests were made in January to see the cleaning breakdown. Why was it finally sent on March 6, after Evan demanded the refund. Why does the work done just magically add up to the 1000 security deposit, less the water bill. Please explain that part that you failed to address. Sounds like retaliation to me, and we look forward to your justifications and/or explanations on that issue.

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Follow up to MIdwest Realty Services Abuse of Alleged Repair/Rental Charges

AUTHOR: Chad Eichten - (United States of America)

Since Evan McBurrows wants to continue this in public, I have uploaded photos of the cleaning that he claims was done.  This is just small sample of the mess that was left behind in which someone had to paid to clean up Evan McBurrows mess.  Painting the home takes hours, changing light bulbs which were left in nonworking condition does not.

Below is verbiage from the letter sent to Evan McBurrows regarding how the home was to be left at checkout, which was completely ignored.  It also included a room by room checklist to assist the tenant in preparing the home for checkout, also ignored.

"We are in receipt of your request for early lease termination.  The process to locate a new tenant for your home has begun. Your Property Manager will contact you when there are showing requests per the information that you provided.  It is important that the home is in showing condition as soon as possible to help facilitate this process and insure a successful showing of the home.   In addition, rent continues to be due as detailed in the lease agreement and until the home is re-rented.  It is also important that you continue to pay for the utilities that are your responsibility as detailed in the lease agreement.

The following information concerns your preparation for move out of your home. I have enclosed a checklist that can be helpful in preparing the home for checkout. Expectations are that the home will be in the condition that it was prior to you moving in, less general wear and tear (see enclosed information regarding wear and tear).  The home should be completely cleaned, including but not limited to: behind/under the refrigerator, under the stove, inside and outside of all cabinets and carpets professionally steam cleaned, to name a few problem areas.  All light bulbs should be functioning in the home at checkout.  Hooks, nails, and screws should be removed from the walls.  All items should be removed from the home.  Please do not leave large items for the garbage service, they will not pickup these items.  Please do not touch up paint the home unless you are certain that you have the correct paint that we provided to you at the check in.  If incorrect paint is used for touch up, you will be charged for the repair.  If there are repairs that are your responsibility, they should be completed prior to the check out.  If there are repairs that are not your responsibility, please contact your Property Manager immediately so that they can be scheduled prior to your check out.  Please be aware that our hourly rate for turnover of the property is billed at $65.00 per hour."

Unfortunately, despite our hard work to assist Evan McBurrows with his situation, he is going to bash us publically and unfairly.

Security Deposit Ripoff

AUTHOR: mcburwh08 - (United States of America)

First of all, you did us no favor for early lease termination.  Rent has never been late and all fees were paid for early lease termination.  Multiple requests for cleaning breakdowns were requested from the property manager and yourself. It wasn't until March 6, that return of the deposit was demanded from you with intent to take the matter to small claims.  Ironically Mr. Chad responds in the most unprofessional manner thru email and dates a letter March 6 with a breakdown of the ripoff cleaning costs and even includes a extra 100 dollar charge, well look at that.  The rate per hour was signed and agreed to, however the cleaning that was required is a complete joke.

The place was cleaned thoroughly for the simple fact we would not get ripped off. But to Mr. Chads ego and threats to pay his attorney fees if we take him to court, he wants to rip us off. Apparently he includes travel times of his workers to grab paint, as indicated in the email. The water bill was just recieved the week of March 4, so of course it was not paid when you sent your letter on March 6 with the so called charges of replaing light bulbs which apparently took hours to do.  You are 100% correct, we will be public about this and will continue to, no stress off our backs in hopes that future tenants do not go throught the same crap and games with this business owner.

#9 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Response to MIdwest Realty Services Abuse of Alleged Repair

AUTHOR: Chad Eichten - (United States of America)

What Evan M**** fails to mention in his argument is one simple fact:  he requested that the lease be terminiated early under the following terms:  He agrees to continue to pay rent until a new tenant signs a lease at which time his lease would be canceled, that he would pay the utilities, and he signed, in writing, acknowledgement of the following:

"I understand that I will be responsible for all costs associated with preparing the home for a new Tenant(s), including but not limited to painting, thorough cleaning, professional carpet cleaning, and repairs billed at $65.00 per hour or at the vendors rate. "  What he also does not mention is that now in email he claims the reason for the early terminiation was financial hardship, when the truth is that his sister was transferred out of state and her company paid the rent for her so that she could move.

We went over and above to quickly re-rent the home after the tenant officially vacated on January 13th, but of course no good deed goes unpunished.  The new tenant moved in on 2/26/13, a little over a month after Evan M**** vacated and our quick work removed him from the responsibility of over $5,000 in rent, which would have been due through June 2013.  He did not clean prior to vacating and he has been provided with numerous photographs documenting the clean up that was needed.  He did not clean the carpets, which he now acknowledges he is responsible to complete.

He did not pay the water bill, which he was also responsible to maintain.  Unfortunately, Evan M**** has ignored the written agreement that he signed and requested and does not care about how the owner is affected by his actions as long as it does not cost him anything.  The reason that we complete everything in writing is so that there is no question as to responsibility.  Evan M**** has chosen to ignore his written agreement and responsibility of that written agreement and complain publically to anyone who will listen.