Complaint Review: MWI Connections

• Reported By:Arlington VA
MWI Connections
, U.S.A.

MWI Connections I ordered what? consumer fraud ripoff

I just noticed a charge of $96.00 on my account, debited by MWI Connections. Since I really didn't remember charging anything for that amount, and certainly didn't recognize the name, I did a search on the internet to find information which may help me contact them.
What I found was innumerable sites dedicated to spreading the word about the fradulent nature of this company. On these sites I found contact information, though only one of the several numbers provided me with any help in 'resolving' the issue.

The following are numbers I called, and the responses I received:

800.809.3795-the automated message from this number asked for my telephone number or a membership id. I entered my telephone number and the automated service replied that my membership was already cancelled and I would be receiving a refund shortly.

I thought this odd, since I had not yet called to complain about the service and the so-called membership was initiated only the day before. My theory, and keep in mind this is only a theory, is that they may put all numbers into this system, thereby allowing a dissatisified consumer to feel as if the issue has been easily resolved.

866.993.9663-this office was closed on Saturday, the day I called.

800.808.3785-this office was also closed on Saturday.

800.503.4052-Finally, a person on the other end of the telephone! Unfortunately, AMANDLA 14776 (the individual I spoke with) did not have a good command of the English language. He reminded me of what it was that I 'ordered' -- a TRIAL version of some discount travel stuff, which was accompanied by a couple of free movie tickets and dinners out. That would have been nice, had I ever received the trial, but I had not.

He said that he will resend the information and I could then cancel the trial if I didn't like it. In a state of frustration--both from waisting my Saturday away and from not being able to understand him--I said send it and I will cancel it later. My misguided logic was that, since I actually did consent to a trial on the initial telephone call, I figured legally they may have a case if I do not give their product a chance.

Not very smart of me, I know...I should have cancelled then and not rely on a later opportunity.

A couple of minutes after I hung up the phone with Amandla, I came to my senses and tried call him (or anyone) back at that number to just tell them to disregard and that I do not want to try anything, I just want my $96 back. Oddly, the number was not allowing me to speak with anyone, as a totally different recording was played. Very odd...and my frustrations are only growing. So, I thought I would try some of the other numbers.

800.568.2386-A message machine said to hold, so I held. After a couple of minutes I was disconnected.

800.270.6902-This number is one I actually got of this site, linking a periodical subscription company with MWI. I called and spoke with CARMELLA. She denied any affiliation with MWI said that she would pass my name and number to her supervisor who would call me soon. I am still waiting...no call.

Finally, I started calling the numbers I had again, hoping that I would be able to get through. I hadn't any luck until calling 800.503.4052.

I spoke with HOPE 15016 and described the situation. She said that she see's my earlier contact with Amandla and asked what the problem was. I told her of the communication barrier between Amandla and I and that I found numerous reports online about fraudulent practices by MWI. I further stated that I wanted nothing further to do with the company and that I wished my monies returned, with no trial period and not to send anything.

She put me on hold for a bit, and when she returned she said that was doable. She said in three to five business days, the funds would be refunded to my account.

I asked Hope how this company got my credit card information, as I have a rule not to give out personal information to anyone on the telephone unless I initiate the call. She said I must have given the information to IDEA VILLAGE, the company whose promotion the service was provided through.

I asked for contact information for this company, and she said that she did not have any--no website, no telephone number...nothing. I found that odd too.

Anyhow, I will update this (if it is possible) to let you all know if and when I get refunded. This isn't over yet...

Arlingon, Virginia

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on MWI Connections / MWI Homeswork / MWI Essentials

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2002 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MWI-Connections//MWI-Connections-I-ordered-what-consumer-fraud-ripoff-25476. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MWI Connections