• Report: #198366

• Submitted: Mon, June 26, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, January 13, 2009

• Reported By:Kennesaw Georgia
Macy's Department Store
Po Box 183083 Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

Macy's Department Store Vendor Ro" Charges Macy's --and their "separate" company, Credit Pro, sneakily charges customers for credit protection monthly fees and dodges demands for termination of the service Columbus Ohio

*Consumer Comment: WHY shop at a rip-off department store anyway?

*UPDATE Employee: Don't Be Dumb

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Customer beware

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Ex-employee tells all

*Author of original report: Macy's allows sneaky fees on credit card bills

AFTER 5 MONTHS OF CALLING TO CANCEL A SO CALLED CREDIT PROTECTION FEATURE THAT CHARGES ME $4 TO $5 A MONTH (THAT I DID NOT ASK TO HAVE ON MY ACCOUNT), I STILL AM BEING CHARGED FOR IT.

I opened a Macy's account in November of 2005, in January 2006, I noticed that I was recieving bills with little $4 and $5 charges every month. When I called Macy's and inquired, they claimed the charges aren't thiers. But it's on my Macy's bill. (So---you are charging my card with some merchandise or service that doesn't belong to you--without my consent?)

They gave me Credit Pro's phone number--which happens to be a part of Macy's--they said. Just a different department. I called them, and asked them to remove this service and the charges off of my bill. They said they would, but claimed that I ordered the service when I signed up with Macy's. (If that was so, why am I billed 2 months after my supposed sign up?)

They didn't remove the charges. I called in Janurary, Feb, March, April, May---and in June--you guessed it, ANOTHER $4 FOR THE SERVICE. I emailed Macy's, I called Macy's, I even wrote Macy's, and thier so called Credit Pro, and I got little or no response, smart aleck and rude people on the phone from Credit Pro-- BOTTOM LINE IS THEY DO NOT WANT TO STOP CHARGING MY CARD.

THIS IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF. BEWARE OF SIGNING UP FOR MACY'S CREDIT CARDS WHILE OUT SHOPPING. THEY WILL HAVE YOU SIGN A SLIP OF PAPER, ENTICE YOU WITH SOME DISCOUNT FOR APPLYING, AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU HAVE SOME 3RD PARY VENDOR CHARGES ON YOUR ACCOUNT--AND THEY DO NOT--REPEAT--THEY DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE THE CHARGES. THESE CREDIT PROTECTION PEOPLE MAKE A LIVING OFF OF RIPPING YOU OFF!!!!

RANDY
Kennesaw, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2006 10:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Macys-Department-Store/Columbus-Ohio-43218/Macys-Department-Store-Vendor-Ro-Charges-Macys-and-their-separate-company-Credit-P-198366. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Macy's Department Store

WHY shop at a rip-off department store anyway?

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

You can't find an outlet store, a discount store, a resale store, a good thrift store to shop in instead of these CROOKED, WAY OVERPRICED AND RUDE DEPARTMENT STORES?

You can also get better stuff at Sears or even Wal-Mart!

Macy's is a LOUSY PLACE TO SHOP!

SO PAY OFF WHAT YOU CAN'T GET CANCELED AND DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY SHOPPING THERE ANY MORE!

I have known some of the people who do their loss prevention until they quit in disgust!

DO NOT SHOP HERE!

I DON'T!

Spend your money with merchants to APPRECIATE your business and you!

Don't Be Dumb

AUTHOR: Jamie - (U.S.A.)

I was a former employee and I have to say that although Macys is not perfect it definitely isnt what this person makes it out to be. Regarding soliciting credit:Yes they do. They promote it and its their life blood. As an employee we are encouraged to get customers to open accounts with us. We receive money and coupons when we do so heck yes we comply. Now there is a part of this story that I do disagree with. I can honestly say that never have I been encouraged to lie or "do anything" to open an account. That's baloney. If an employee does do that they do it on their own cause they are greedy and believe me it does catch up to them. I have seen co workers fired bc they get their friends to apply multiple times so they really arent a anything at any cost company. Regarding the credit protection: It says when you sign up what it is. If you chose not to read it then thats you being an irresponsible idiot. You dont know how many 18-24 year olds I see come in and basically sign their name away without even checking. I know that some people do get screwed over and that sucks im sure Randy or whoever eventually got it straightened out but hey thats life. Technology isnt perfect and you need to be a responsible adult and watch your back. Credit is important and everyone should be aware of what they are doing to affect their own. READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Customer beware

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I have heard tales of not only Macy's employees doing this, but also Nordstrom's, Victoria's Secret, and really, any credit-driven department store.

I used to work at Macy's, and several former employees would run a customer's credit card, claim there was a problem, and ask for their social security number and license (All you need to open an account is a credit card, driver's license, and ss#). They would then use this information to open a credit account for the person in question without their knowledge or consent.

This is just meant as a cautionary tale: Macy's is a very good department store, but us employees are just human, and try as they might, all stores end up hiring crooks unknowingly. It's just a fact of life. Blaming Macy's for an employee's actions isn't exactly fair: all department stores run into this problem. Read what you sign, never give out your social for a 'reward program' because it IS a line of credit (or really, for ANY reason other than opening a line of credit) and keep in mind no matter what you do, you are still trusting a human to make sure everything is done right. While Macy's does put more pressure on employees to open credit accounts than most other places I've worked (we were told upon being hired if we didn't open at least one a month we would risk termination) which some people cite as being the driving force behind employees preying on customers to open accounts by claiming 'It's just a reward program' or actually stealing people's information as what I witnessed, it really falls on the employee, and there's no guarantee that the person handling your personal information is honest or competent so BE CAREFUL and BE SMART

AUTHOR: California Girl - (U.S.A.)

I am an employee of Macy's. When you open a new acct, you are asked whether you want credit protection or not. Back in 2006, I am not sure if they had the new procedure where YOU, the customer, used a pin pad to approve the information that the associate has put in. I am thinking this was the case. You really have to look at everything before approving.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Ex-employee tells all

AUTHOR: Beaux - (U.S.A.)

I am an ex-employee of Macy's and I completely sympathize with your plight on your credit situation. When I worked for them, it was expected as a mandatory practice to solicit credit from our customers. It got so ridiculous that I have seen employees lie, manipulate, and coerse customers into opening up a credit account, much to the chagrin of our better judgment.

My advice to you is this. Pay off whatever balance there is on your card and physically go into the store to have the a salesperson, preferably one who is experienced, to call the credit company to cancel your card. They should know the tie lines and the necessary menus to get a customer representative to remove any hidden credit protection fees and get them to close the account. If they don't, talk to a manager for assistance on the matter. If the department store manager can't help you, get the store manager. Bascially keep bypassing the system until you get someone who is knowledgable and knows exactly how to remedy the situation.

Macy's allows sneaky fees on credit card bills

AUTHOR: Jacqueline - (U.S.A.)

Macy's Department Store allows a contractor called "CREDIT PRO" to abuse thier customers with fraudulent charges! Macy's --and thier "separate" company, Credit Pro, sneakily charges customers for credit protection monthly fees, and dodges demands for termination of the service.