Complaint Review: Macy's

• Submitted: Wed, July 30, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, April 20, 2009

• Reported By:Galveston Texas
22 - 4th Street San Francisco, California U.S.A.

Macy's, Macys.com Macy's Loyal Customers being deceived San Francisco California

*UPDATE Employee: Read my lips--No more free deliverly

I am a very loyal Macy's customer, I have a Platinum Credit Card which means I spend over $1000 with Macy's a year. I am a professional that does most my shopping there when the sales are on. When I travel I even shop with Macy's and have shopped at Macy's in 10 different states.

Sometimes I also shop online with Macy's when I find a good deal. As a Macy's Platinum card holder I am use to free services provided to there most loyal customers. When I buy online I use to receive free shipping for items purchased online.

Recently Macy's has discontinued this practice as of May 1st, 2008 however they did this with out alerting customers. As of July 30 the site does say:
** For free services, which are not available at all Macy's stores, purchases must be made at Macy's with your Macy's Card. Excludes furniture, mattresses, floor coverings, and purchases on macys.com. Credit will appear on your statement.
In some parts of the site it does say the above. However it does say the below on a lot of pages also.
Free service purchases must be made at Macy's with your Macy's Card. Includes shipping on macys.com purchases. Excludes furniture, area rugs and mattresses. Credit will appear on your statement.

First when Macy's changes a long standing practice without alerting the customer it is wrong. Second if you are going to change the policy then you have to make sure that it is consistent, as I called in on July 30 and was told that yes of course I should receive credits automatically.

After explaining to him things changed without anyone being notified, he put me on hold and began to speak with his supervisor. After that he explained that it had changed as of May 1st. He also credited my account but explained that it was a one time credit and that in the future the new policy would be enforced.

A lot of customers probably don't realize that this policy has changed. They did not take the effort to inform there customers. Really Macy's should not take this reward away from their most loyal customers.

Galveston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2008 09:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Macys/San-Francisco-California-94103/Macys-Macyscom-Macys-Loyal-Customers-being-deceived-San-Francisco-California-357630. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Macy's

Read my lips--No more free deliverly

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

This person failed to read the notices that were sent for several months with the statements. It is not Macy's fault if she doesn't read the paperwork we send to her. Free services are free gift services that we give customers as rewards for shopping at Macy's. Just because we gave free shipping on some accounts does not mean that these people are ENTITLED to it for all time. Macy's, like everyone else must cut expenses to keep the doors open. Just as some restaurants don't give free water anymore & service stations don't give free air for tires anymore, Macy's has found the need to cut out expenses that do not produce enough business to offset the expenditure. People were sapping the profit margins of .com by their free delivery that Macy's had to absorb. People WERE notified repeatedly & we did give courtesy credits for the first one that people called about because we gave them the benefit of the doubt that, like the above person, they were negligent & has not read the notices.
We now still give free gift wrap & alterations to all platinum cards (12) & elite cards (18), BUT DELIVERY IS NO LINGER INCLUDED.
We will again give complimentary removal of the first time for those that call in & plead ignorance.