Complaint Review: Macys

• Submitted: Tue, December 30, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, January 25, 2009

• Reported By:Tempe Arizona
Macys
3107 West Chandler Blvd Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.

Macys BEWARE OF BLUES BREAK PROMOTION!!! EFFECTIVE DEC 26 - JAN 19 Tempe Arizona

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not bait and switch

I recently purchased a pair of jeans and received a $10.00 gift card, for the Blues Break promotion. I returned to Macy's on 12/29 to redeem my card and found an item in the Baby department for $9.98. I had read the back of my $10.00 card carefully in advance, so I made sure that the item was not marked "Everyday Value" or had any signs on the clothes rack to that effect, because I knew that I would not be able to purchase it with the card. When I attempted to purchase the item, Linda, the manager, refused to honor the card because the item I had chosen was an Everyday Value item. I pointed out to her there was nothing on the price tag or the clothing rack stating the item was an Everyday Value. She then proceeded to inform me that in order to redeem the $10.00 card, the purchase had to be over $10.00 before taxes and that she would honor the card if I made another, more expensive purchase. Her attitude was such that she was doing me a huge favor by redeeming my card and that I shouldn't be so cheap while shopping at the illustrious Macy's. This experience pretty much ruined my day. I was just trying to redeem a card I received FROM A MACY'S PROMOTION and it was refused. There is no verbiage on the card stating the purchase must be over $10.00 or that Everyday Values can be applied to any item at the store's discretion. I have informed my legal advisor of this event and have reported this to the Federal Trade Commission, as my experience with this Blues Break promotion constitutes false advertising. It is unfortunate that Macy's would rather lose a customer than lose 2 cents.

Mamarose
Tempe, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2008 09:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Macys/Tempe-Arizona-85226/Macys-BEWARE-OF-BLUES-BREAK-PROMOTION-EFFECTIVE-DEC-26-JAN-19-Tempe-Arizona-406157. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Macys

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not bait and switch

AUTHOR: Gabriela - (U.S.A.)

I worked at Macy's Federated over 10 years.

On the back of our coupons are exclusions. 99.99% of the time they are the exact same exclusions from sale to sale, from year to year. Everyday Values, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Mens' Polo, Tommy Hilfiger and etc.

Without fail, numerous people would constantly try to use the promotions or coupons on excluded items. I would literally have to turn the card over and point it out to them.
The manager probably had the conversation several times that day but she shouldn't have acted as though you were a pauper. That was not necessary.

To redeem the discount, the purchase before tax had to be equal to or more than the discount. If that were not the case, then people would come in and buy something that was $4.00 and demand for us to give them $6.00 back in change.

Anything that ends in .98 is an everyday value. Usually, they have special advertisement signs that would be displayed on the rack or table with the garments. They also have bigger sale posters that have the everyday value item on it and the price. It actually has the phrase and the exclusion on it.

I left Macys 2 years plus ago and I distinctly remember the words Everday Value being on the tag. They could have removed it but I doubt it.

This is not bait and switch.