Complaint Review: Macy's

• Updated: Sun, April 12, 2009

• Reported By:Tallahassee Florida
Macy's
www.macys.com Internet U.S.A.

Macy's Credit Card Excess late fee and reduction of credit limit for 1 day late Internet

*UPDATE Employee: If you pay your bills late, you are at fault, not the person who didn't get paid on time

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Change of Billing Dates

Several months ago I opened a starter Macy's credit card account with a $200 credit limit for small purchases. I purchased a few items over several months, and always paid my bill on-line, and on-time each month.

Recently I missed a payment due date by one day. I paid the full amount due, on-line, the very next day. As a consequence for this, Macy's not only charged me an exhobitant late fee of $29.00 (on less than a $150 balance), they reduced the credit limit from $200 to $100, leaving my existing balance over the credit limit.

I had to call to learn all this because the on-line system does not provide these details. The person I spoke with, who's first language is obviosly not English, would/could not do anything except repeatedly apologize. Macy's refused to reinstate the the original credit limit. I would not be surprised now if they charge an "over the credit limit" fee. I told them to cancel the account. I will pay it off and never shop at Macy's again!

Deb
Tallahassee, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2008 10:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Macys/internet/Macys-Credit-Card-Excess-late-fee-and-reduction-of-credit-limit-for-1-day-late-Internet-404976. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Macy's

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

This person blames Macys because they were not responsible enough to get their payment in ontime. These people all say " It was just a day LATE. The emphisis is on the fact that it was not paid in the time frame required. People are irresponsible and don't pay their debts as required & complain. They say they don't want to do business with a company that treats them as if they should show some responsibility. The late fee the person complains about is nominal. The standard late fee just went up to $39 as of April 1, 2009. The open to buy is lowered because it is viewed that if the person is having difficulty meeting their financial responsibilities then the availability to continue charging is stopped dead in the water untill the person gets the ballance down & is back on track. If the customer makes payments on time by the due date & meets the now due amount for 12 months straight, the open to buy can be reviewed for restoring. Credit card companies are trying to stop people from charging up more than they can pay & then going into collections when their payment comes in late. If a customer has problems with getting it in on the due date, they can pay it a few days before the due date. It is called being responsible. On an unrelated card, I have a due date of April 22nd on my MC. I made a payment today -April 12. I paid 25 over the minimum so I can get a jump on next month. I just bought a car & my Beacon score was 820. That's because I'm not irrisponsible & then complain that the people I owe money to have the audacity to expect me to live up to my obligations.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Change of Billing Dates

AUTHOR: Ka - (U.S.A.)

As a former employee of Macy's, there are times that the billing dates are changed on customers accounts for no apparent reason. When Macy's purchased the May Company stores and began the consolidation of the credit systems, many account billing dates were changed without reason. If you don't check your statement closely, you may have a change in billing dates and no notice to tell you so. Now that systems are converted, you would think that this policy would end.

If you make an internet payment or payment in person at a store after 3:00 p.m., your payment will be concidered 'late' as it will be posted the next day.

Also, as cost cutting moves go... Macy's laid off over 2,500 people last year that had a direct impact in customer service, including credit, credit card investigations, security and divisional management. It's easier to ship calls to call centers overseas and not deal with customer fraud issues here at home. Look for further changes in 2009.

So much for customer service.