Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Updated: Fri, August 03, 2012

• Reported By: Oliver — MISSISSAUGA Ontario Canada
Magic Jack
West Palm Beach, Florida United States of America

Magic Jack First time ever filed "MagicJack Ripoff" report. Hope you can avoid this company West Palm Beach, Florida

*General Comment: It Works For Me

*General Comment: What makes you think it it Magic Jacks problem?

My father-in-law who lives with me, he purchased one magic jack with 5 year plan. It keeps having international calling problem no matter how we've tried, we are unable to recharge the account (my father-in-law lives with me ).  I contacted magic jack 5 months ago in February to ask them to enable my father's magic jack's line international calling and allow recharging the account. The client service live help said the billing department will reply him in a few days to solve the problem but they never did.  After a  week I contacted the live help again another lady promised a solution but still no solution for me. I waited 3 months and contacted live help again, she said the same thing. After a few days, they simply cut the line ( my father-in-law needs to register over and over again without success ).  It looks like the service was cut off in order to solve the recharge problem ( any complaint they simply cut off the line ) a month ago. My father-in-law just told me that he is able to use magic jack for US calls but still he is not able to place international calls because the recharging problem has been ignored by the company. The original intention for my father-in-law to purchase this magic-jack is the great rates and quality promise for international calls. Now he is stuck with a useless magic jack and he has to call PR China with home phone ( go back to the same routine ). He spent close to $200 to make the 5 year plan purchase and international minutes.

Now my father ran into the same problem with his magic jack with 5 year plan. He also paid a lot of money for the jack/ 5 year plan/ international minutes ( spent about $100 ). Now it's his 3rd year to use magicjack but suddenly his service is cut ( dead phone with no ring tones )--He is no longer able to use magicjack.  He paid $250 for service for 5 years and $100 worth of minutes to call PR China now half way he is not able to use the service at all. He should at least get $150 back for magicjack's problem.

There is no customer service. The live help is not helpful -- just take down your info and promise someone will be in touch and no one will ever get in touch with you...You wait for ever, no email, no phone calls, nothing.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/19/2012 03:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/West-Palm-Beach-Florida-/Magic-Jack-First-time-ever-filed-MagicJack-Ripoff-report-Hope-you-can-avoid-this-compa-914582. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack

#1 General Comment

It Works For Me

AUTHOR: No More Suburban - (United States of America)

I have had Magic Jack Plus for 10 months and I can tell you that many of my friends have purchased this product because I tell them what I am going to print here:

1. The PLUS plugs directly into your router so that is an improvement over the original MJ having to to be plugged into your computer to operate.

2. MJ now has a newer unit that uses your wi-fi and doesn't need your router. Just plug it into the wall and wala!

3. Those that claim they have problems may not have a good router or band width so I recommend using a router that is less than 3 yrs. old.

4. It may drop a call periodically, but so does your cell phone that you can't live without.

5. You know you can't beat the initial price (I paid $69 at Radio Shack)

6. Do not purchase the 5 yr. plan until you feel it is what you believe it should be.

7. It is not AT&T but neither is it $22 a month

8. It is all as good as any internet based phone and at a better price.
Good luck and I can only say that I give it an A+ for usability and cost.

#2 General Comment

What makes you think it it Magic Jacks problem?

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Maybe the People's Republic of China is the problem. Do you know of any other people that are using Magic Jack to call PR of China. Maybe PR of China is responsible for the re-charge problems. Maybe that is the reason he has to constantly re-register. When he re-registers does he get to keep the same number or change it.