Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Updated: Sun, May 19, 2013

• Reported By: tandi808 — Kaneohe Hawaii
Magic Jack
5700 Georgia Avenue West Palm Beach, Florida USA

Magic Jack 30 day Free trail, Deceptive information, Charged card immediately West Palm Beach Florida

I, like everyone elso who purchased a Magic Jack, did so to save money.  Any purchases I make I trymake sure I am informed so I went to their website for answers. I looked all over their site, www.magicjack.com for specific information regarding my purchase.

Unable to find all of the info we wanted to make in an informed decsision, we made the decision to take the "30 Day Free Trail". That would give us time to troubleshoot any missed info

We received the unit in timely fashion and installed the the operating system and went about setting up the service.

The first thing we found was we were unable to port our current telephone number. Not a problem, they say on their site that all number may not be able to port. Then I chose the option to create a number based on our State. Big problem. There is no service in Hawaii... At all.

So I started to look at other states. Alaska, No service. Almost every state has holes in service areas.

At this point I decide I am  going to return the unit. It is pointless to have a phone number my neighbor cannot call without being charged a long distance fee.

Here's where things start strange. The first thing is when I try to print the RMA form, it comes out completely black. I burned an entire cartridge on three pages of black.

Every way I try to access this RMA form gets the same result... Black ink. Even the emailed rma form comes out the same way. The only way past that was to copy/paste the info to a word doc.

Next, I looked over the form and it says I need to return the item by June 2nd. I just received it May 17th. Hardly  30 days, especially since I purchased it on May 14th.

Now I'm starting to get worried. I decide that the best way to return the item within the time frame is to ship USPS return receipt requested. Their return address is a PO Box. They can hold it at the PO for as long as they want.

Finally, I am going over my Bank account and they have already charged my card. Their site has the following info in two seperate places:

. There is absolutely no commitment or charges for Free Trial Offer

.After your free 30 day trial your card will be charged $69.95 for your magicJack PLUS which includes a one year license. The $69.95 price above will be authorized on your credit card, but not charged to your credit card until the end of your free trial period.

I have a feeling this purchase is going to be a huge problem to get past. There is an up side to this experience though. I won't EVER buy something online unless I have ALL the answers. Lesson learned

My advice. Do not, under any circumstance buy anything from magicJack VocalTek, Ltd.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2013 06:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/West-Palm-Beach-Florida-33405/Magic-Jack-30-day-Free-trail-Deceptive-information-Charged-card-immediately-West-Palm-1052181. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack