Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Reported By: Jeff — Spokane Washington United States of America
Magic Jack
Unknown Internet United States of America

Magic Jack Bogus annual fee for number porting , Internet

I paid Magic Jack $19.99 to "port" my home phone number to them on 20 Sep 2011.  (note: other phone companies do this for free)  At that time, they said it was a one-time fee, and that no additional charges would be added.

I have just been informed that I now need to pay an additional $9.95 fee every year to keep my number ported (what?).  This is unheard of in the phone industry.  The worthless on-line chat person told me that I agreed to it and that I could find the policy on their website.  I looked, and the policy was dated 06 Jul 2012, TEN MONTHS AFTER I originally paid the one-time fee.

The on-line chat person told me that I could see the agreement on the website if I went and clicked on the "transfer my phone number" tab.  Of course it is listed there, NOW!  It wasn't there when I agreed to pay the fee.  It is also not listed ANYWHERE in their Terms of Service on there website.

I am now a couple of days and $100 into a five year renewal plan, and if I walk away over $9.95, they won't refund my prorated amount, so either way I lose.

And as a side note, I just found out that whey will charge you $30 to have your number "un-ported" so you can use your home phone number with another company.  Another non-existent practice anywhere else in the phone industry!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/27/2012 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Bogus-annual-fee-for-number-porting-Internet-947560. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack