Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Updated: Mon, October 08, 2012

• Reported By: Lalelilolu — New Hampshire United States of America
Magic Jack

Magic Jack Charging now to make local USA call - false advertisement, Internet

I paid for telephone service. According to their website and tv ads I'll have service for a year to any number in the USA by buying the device with a charge for additional years.

Now they are charging me to call certain numbers within the USA.  They want me to put money in my account in order to be able to call these numbers. Conveniently, the numbers they blocked are prepaid phone cards access numbers. So now, if I want to use an international prepaid phone card, I will have to pay magicjack to access the number and then I will be paying to the prepaid phone card provider too.

I know that calling these access numbers doesn't have any additional charges, since the prepaid phone card provider uses a regular number so people can access their services.  What MagicJack is doing is blocking these access numbers so you pay magicjack to call them and then decide it doesn't make sense to pay twice and change to use magicjack to call internationally.

I'm very disappointed. I used to be able to call prepaid phone cards access numbers without problems from the magicjack.  I already paid for their service, there's no reason for me to pay them more to call a US number, other than a shameful money grab from MagicJack.

I was a satisfied customer and have 2 magicjacks currently.  Now I won't recommend them anymore and would get rid of the ones I have if this policy doesn't change.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2012 12:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Charging-now-to-make-local-USA-call-false-advertisement-Internet-952190. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack