Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Reported By: Giovanni P — Ellenburg Depot New York United States of America
Magic Jack

Magic Jack "Free local and Long Distance calls" no more, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Magic Jack blocking long distance carrier

*Consumer Comment: Magic Jacks work exactly as described.

Lately, have been trying to make local phone calls or long distance to US or Canada, and I get a recorded message, "to call a conference line or platform please contact us at my.majicjack.com to purchase prepaid minutes".

The website still states in Bold letters "FREE! Local and long distance calls"

I did the live chat to get explanations, and was told that conference line, or platform, are charged. I did ask at what rate, they do not have that information. I would have to pay a block of $10, $20, etc into my account and only then I will receive a recorded message stating how many minutes I can talk the that particular phone number that is not compatible with the Magic Jack system.

Total false advertisement, this did not exist 4 or 5 years ago when i subscribed to Magic Jack. All of a sudden this gets implemented. I would not recommend this service to anyone anymore. I will simply let  my service expire in a few months and not bother to renew it anymore.

Most of my calls are to corporations in the US, and I am assuming they use some sort of computer/network phone lines. Most of my calls are now being rejected by that above message to buy prepaid minutes.

Buyer Beware, Its not FREE

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2013 08:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Free-local-and-Long-Distance-calls-no-more-Internet-1027432. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack

Magic Jack blocking long distance carrier

AUTHOR: Carlos F - ()

I also believe that magic jack is forcing to buy their expensive long distance card to make a long distance phone call. also I think that move is illegal, they are intercepting the long distance companies phones, new customers must be aware, Magic jack is trying to put out of business to the others long distance companies, to grab the market.

Magic Jacks work exactly as described.

AUTHOR: Billl - ()

I purchased three Magic Jack's 9+ years ago. I've sent one to my daughter in Minnesota, U.S.A. and the other to my daughter in Mazatlan Mexico. And I kept one. My wife, myself and my daughters have been utilizing them daily. Combining a feature on my cell phone  (friends) and one of the many features that the Magic Jack offers (transfer incoming calls) I rarely use more than 15 percent of my cell plan minutes, thus freeing minutes for me to call out.  The only time I have had any problems is when my local internet service goes down and that rarely happens. One has to READ all of the rules governing how the Magic Jack works. My wife does call others in Mexico and yes we have to purchase minutes; the rates depending on exactly where you dial to are very very competitive. It is a great device! I give it a solid 9 out of 10. Nothing is perfect, but this little device is close.