Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Updated: Tue, April 30, 2013

• Reported By: Kathy P — Aztec New Mexico
Magic Jack
Internet USA

Magic Jack Magic Jack Plus Don't buy it in NM unless you live in ABQ, Los Lunas or Tijeras!  Internet

Though New Mexico is not one of the most populous states in these United States, it does rank 36 in 50 for population.  There are over 100 cities, towns and villages in NM.  I live in Farmington, the 6th largest city in NM with a population of over 46,000.

I purchased Magic Jack Plus at a Radio Shack in Farmington.

When I went to configure the system and get a phone number (because I was not going to pay for them to have to port our old number...which I probably wouldn't have gotten anyway!), I find out they only have 3 cities in the 505 area code...the closest to us is over 150 miles away.

Of course I can't get answers right away because their east coast (or middle east) help desk was closed, but I finally get a "live chat" the next afternoon.  I ask point blank.  Since the only numbers I can choose from are from cities over 150 miles away, will my local friends and family incur long distance charges for calling our home? "Don't worry about it, they won't pay long distance charges"  But I can't settle for that because I have a brain and I know enough about phone systems to know to question further.

"Mary" tries to tell me that we can call anywhere in the United States, blah, blah, blah...great, I understand that, but what I want to know is if my neighbor does calls me using his Qwest or Centurylink or AT & T phone, will he have to dial long distance?  Oh, yes he would~  Finally!  15 minutes of typing later, the TRUTH!  "but I thought you meant they were on Magic Jack"  What world do you live in to think everyone would be on Magic Jack?

So, basically, if you live in NM and do not live in ABQ with exchanges of 349, 358, 359,369,717 or 990, Los Lunas 807 or Tijeras 407...you too will be causing your friends and family to pay long distance everytime they call to chat or ask a question or just say hi!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/29/2013 03:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Magic-Jack-Plus-Dont-buy-it-in-NM-unless-you-live-in-ABQ-Los-Lunas-or-Tijeras-1047129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack