Complaint Review: Magic Jack

• Updated: Sat, September 08, 2012

• Reported By: Tamara — Wisconsin United States of America
Magic Jack

Magic Jack Unassigned Telephone Number Internet

On 31 August 2012, after 5 months of satisfactory telephone service, MagicJack turned off my telephone service.  I had been traveling so I didn't realize the service had been terminated until 6 September 2012.  When I returned home, I contacted their "customer service".  The first "customer service" live chat wrote that I had violated Section 6 of the TOS and promptly disconnected from our chat.

I read Section 6 of the TOS which states "Proper Use: If magicJack sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack's customer's usage, or a customer who calls more than 50 different telephone numbers per day, or systematic or intentional misuse, the magicJack may be terminated."

I immediately reentered live chat with a new "customer service" agent who could not tell me which part of Section 6 I violated.  I was five states away from my magicjack when my account was terminated for "excessive use" and when I am home, I rarely exceed 30 minutes a day of useage.  (and I certainly don't have the time to call 50 different numbers a day!)  It should be no suprise that my second "customer service" interaction was equally fruitless.  "Elaine" quoted Section 6 and could not tell me which item in Section 6 I violated; only that I had to reactivate my account.  When it was clear that she could not explain the termination, she stopped answering my questions and began to repeatedly thank me for my professionalism.  I saved a transcript of my customer service interaction to remind me to NEVER pay for phone service a year in advance (and as a reminder to stop buying from businesses who outsource their customer service departments:)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/08/2012 09:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Magic-Jack/internet/Magic-Jack-Unassigned-Telephone-Number-Internet-938357. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Magic Jack