Complaint Review: Majic Jack/ Dan Borislow

• Updated: Sat, March 27, 2010

• Reported By:Ocala Florida
Majic Jack/ Dan Borislow
majicjack.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Majic Jack/ Danmajic Jack/ Dan Borislow RIP-OFF!!! I purchased one and I decided to cancel the 5 year deal I asked that I be credited for the 5 year deal only and they refunded ALL of the charges. I have tried MANY, MANY times to get it working, Florida Nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: Help With Majic Jack

*General Comment: MagicJack works for me

*Consumer Comment: MajicJack Not A Scam and Shouldn't Be Labeled As One

*Consumer Comment: A few MagicJack bugs, but easily worked out

*Consumer Comment: MAJIC JACK totally fantastic

*Consumer Suggestion: alternative to magic jack is SKYPE !

RIP-OFF!!!! I was referred to Majicjack by a friend that has had success with this product. I purchased one and it arrived as promised. I decided to cancel the 5 year deal and was given a promp return. I asked that I be credited for the 5 year deal only and they refunded ALL of the charges. I have tried MANY, MANY times to get it working, Hours and hours on the im with them and no results!

I have tried all of their fixes as well as many times I have rebooted and tried to re-load this again. it is a most pathetic means of customer service consuming countless hours trying to get this to work. I purchased this in order to communicate in areas of the world that have internet service and either limited or no service and the rates are stifling.

This would have been great had it worked but now, I am stuck without any form of communications other than emails and I.M. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND/OR MONEY!!!!

Please beware, there may be a few that are working but from the amount of negative blogs that I have read, it would appear that there seems to be a lot more not working than those that are. Had this worked for me, the people that I am working with out of the U.S., would have been purchasing them by the cases as well as the company that I work for as well as the facility that I am working in.

A great idea but Dan Borislow needs to find a means of getting the bugs worked out and staffing a support group that can handle issues over the phone.
If this product is so great, whay don't they use it to offer support rather than the I.M.?????
Obviously it is not as good as claimed.

You will have people that will have to pay long distance to call you from next door beacuse the area code that you have to choose from could be hundreds of miles away!

All in all, I am sure that the few that this product works for are happy but for the majority, I am sure that they regrte such a SCAM!

Chris
Ocala, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/12/2008 08:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Majic-Jack-Dan-Borislow/nationwide/Majic-Jack-Danmajic-Jack-Dan-Borislow-RIP-OFF-I-purchased-one-and-I-decided-to-cancel-350390. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Majic Jack/ Dan Borislow

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Help With Majic Jack

AUTHOR: Irene Otis - (USA)

Majic Jack does work. I have had one going on 2 years on May 20th. What is not well known is that the phone that you use makes all the difference. I had to try three before I finally found the right one. The "Durabrand" phones work well and very clear. The simple large dial button style work best. Also if you have Windows Vista, use the Vista update found on the Majic Jack web site. You may need to repeat the update from time to time if you begin having trouble hearing calls.

My experience with Majic Jack have been so good I recently connected my Brother 4 in one printer with a Fax to the Majic Jack. I use it to send Faxes.

I hope this helps. Irene

#2 General Comment

MagicJack works for me

AUTHOR: Charles - (USA)

Several weeks ago at I purchased a MagicJack unit at Radio Shack and for reasons that still aren't clear, it didn't work on my desktop computer running Windows XP, so I returned it for a full refund.  The software just wouldn't load properly.

Last week, I saw a report in the THE WALL STREET JOURNAL (Feb. 17th edition) written by Walter Mossberg in the technology column (see http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100271/magicjack-review/) and I decided to give MagicJack another try.  I  purchased a unit at Radio Shack, and this time, I tried running it on my new Toshiba notebook computer pre-loaded with Windows 7.  The software installed smoothly, and my phone service was up and running within a few minutes.  I was even given the option of trying out the service for thirty minutes before being prompted to enter my credit card information, but I was so happy that everything installed the I just went ahead and set up my account.

I then tried running the MagicJack unit on the my Windows XP desktop and once again, the software loaded without a problem.  The software even sensed that I had already set up my account and didn't prompt me for any more information.  I could make and receive Internet phone calls and the signal quality was good.

So far, I've had no problems.  I'm saving money and I hope that MagicJack will succeed so I can continue using this great service!  Please feel free to contact me at
LicensePlateGuy@att.net and I'll provide a testimonial.

Chuck
Clifton Park, NY

MajicJack Not A Scam and Shouldn't Be Labeled As One

AUTHOR: Flip - (U.S.A.)

I have had two MajicJack devices in operation for about two years. Labeling this as a scam is not appropriate. While any electronic device designed to work with computers may have setup problems given the number of different configurations possible (computer, ISP, Internet speeds, locations, etc.) claiming that MajicJack is a scam implies that the device doesn't do what's advertised, was designed not to do what's advertised, and isn't capable of doing what's advertised.

That is clearly not the case. MajicJack works for many, many people, including me. I gave one to my daughter to use from Australia and New Zealand while she was enrolled in Study Abroad. It worked perfectly. We use it to call outbound to many countries including the UK and Italy (using the paid Intl Long Distance plans) and have no trouble at all calling throughout the U.S. and Canada for free.

While individuals may encounter problems, I think the fact that this consumer was able to get a refund and that many of us can use the MajicJack as advertised shows this isn't a scam. While MajicJack's tech support leaves something to be desired, the cost of the service weighed against the benefits makes the MajicJack a real bargain.

A few MagicJack bugs, but easily worked out

AUTHOR: Rentacop1976 - (U.S.A.)

I've had MagicJack for a month now, didn't buy the extended plan - I'll do it on a year-to-year basis. I don't really see what the problem is with $20 a year for unlimited local and long distance phone service. Here's what I found:

95% of the time, if it doesn't install automatically, just plug the MagicJack adapter into a different USB port, and the problem solves itself. If you lose dial tone, reboot and you'll get it back. Also, if you're behind a firewall, you have to configure it to allow in/out through 2 UDP ports (the MagicJack FAQ's tell you which ones). Other than that, I've done just fine with MagicJack, and for $20 a year (less than what you'd pay for one month of service anywhere else), really, what do you want?

AUTHOR: C Hughes - (U.S.A.)

I guess the issue that I have with your report is you calling it a scam. Here is why I say that. You mentioned that you had contacted them to cancel your 5 year package and you said "I asked that I be credited for the 5 year deal only and they refunded ALL of the charges." (would a company out to scam you do that?) You also said "Also, they advertise that you can pick your area cod and DO NOT TELL YOU that there are only a few area codes to choose from. They tell you that you will be able to change it for free (One time only) when more are brought on line. as I said this is not disclosed and is fraud in my mind." Did you do your due diligence and research this? (personally I don't think that you did as it took me two minuets to go to http://www.magicjack.com to find out that there are no area codes in KS avail YET and everything is disclosed on that web site.) I point the finger of shame at you for slandering a start up company that is offering a very good service (it takes time to bring something like this fully online) and the finger of shame at ripoffreport.com for not doing a little basic research before allowing this post. So once again I ask WHERE IS THE SCAM OR THE FRAUD??!! and btw no I am not an employee,former employee,part owner or even customer of this company...it just irks my girk however to see a company or individual slandered unjustly

MAJIC JACK totally fantastic

AUTHOR: Rickb - (U.S.A.)

People I'm not sure what is wrong with all your products. I bought it, received so fast, plugged in the jack, it set ITSELF up (I did nothing), plugged in a $5. phone & have used ALL the features of it since June 1st. All I talk to cannot believe how loud & clear it is & so far 6 buddies have bought it & I'm sorry but we have had 0 problems. They packaged it so well that I doubt shipping hurt it. However the product being so new to market could be faulty. Recently I bought new cell .It took 3 purchases of the same phone before it worked. Also special tool batteries I went through the same problem. Have u tried to exchange ? Good Luck

#10 Consumer Suggestion

alternative to magic jack is SKYPE !

AUTHOR: Doc - (U.S.A.)

You can use SKYPE.com and download their software. You can
call USA numbers for .02 a MIN and buy prepaid cards at local
retailers. You can also sign up for their outgoing call plan for
$3 a MONTH. You need to use a headset that connects to
your computer and has a mike and earphones.
Skype does not use a gadget and is actually SIMPLER
to use. They also have international rates.
A broadband connection to the internet such as
DSL, cable, wifi, satellite etc works best.

Magic jack is not going to last and can not provide good
customer service using that busines model. In a year they
will be bought out and SOLD. The only people that will win
are the CEO's.

You can also check for other VOIP services like vonage and
sunrocket and others, and find one that fits your situation.

- A technically informed reader