stick

• Updated: Mon, October 22, 2012

• Reported By: Kim — New York New York United States of America
Manhattan Mini Storage
531 West 21st Street New York, New York United States of America

Manhattan Mini Storage Forces insurance on clients without informing them until moved in and signing contracts. Gross negligence after flooding. New York, New York

Manhattan Mini Storage uses bait advertising with low prices to lure customers in. Once in, they explain that such low prices are no longer available, but the 'next best price' is still a very good one.

I accepted and once I had been moved in and was signing contracts, suddenly a forced 'mandatory' insurance tariff was tacked onto the bill. This was not hinted at nor spoken of until after the move in and at the end of paperwork. I was told that if I refused the insurance I would need to vacate immediately. To avoid this giant hassle I accepted the now inflated price and complained to customer service management. My complaint wasn't resolved nor were customer service polite in handling the matter.

After a few months in the facility there were two separate incidences of flooding, due to negligence on maintaining the building. As I was located on the lower floor I had at least $2000 worth of damage to my property. Manhattan Mini Storage forced all customers on this floor to evacuate but did not offer rooms at the same prices. I had to fight hard for a smaller room on a higher floor that was slightly more expensive.

To top this off, they would not pay for the damages above the $1000 the insurance allocated, even though all damages were due to gross negligence on their part with building maintenance.

The only reason I did not take this to court is because the cost would not have been worth it. I am doing everything in my power to have their company name smeared.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2012 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Manhattan-Mini-Storage/New-York-New-York-10011/Manhattan-Mini-Storage-Forces-insurance-on-clients-without-informing-them-until-moved-in-958355. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Manhattan Mini Storage