Complaint Review: Mark Shirley - Rhapsody Rhodesian Ridgeback

• Submitted: Tue, June 10, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 11, 2008

• Reported By:Derry New Hampshire
Mark Shirley - Rhapsody Rhodesian Ridgeback
2012 W. Oakleaf Dr Mchenry, Illinois U.S.A.

Mark Shirley - Rhapsody Rhodesian Ridgeback Rhodesian Ridgeback Breeder took our money and NO PUPPY! Mchenry Illinois

*Author of original report: Deposit was refunded- THANX YOU

I am writing this report because my boyfriend and I were taken adbvantage of by a rhodesian ridgeback breeder out of Illinois.

Here is our story:
We fell in love with Rodesian Ridgebacks when our friend in California first introduced us to the breed. We decided that as soon as we got a house with a yard we would adopt one for ourselves. We researched different breeders online and came across Mark Shirly with Rhapsody Rhodesian Ridgebacks- after a lengthy conversation with him he felt we were suitable candidates for adoption of one his puppies in his upcoming litter and we were very excited!

Almost immediately, Mark sent us a 4-page contract outlining the procedures in obtaining the puppy as well as the payment terms. We thought it was a bit extensive but we did not care- we really wanted a Ridgeback puppy and we were excited to get the process moving.

It is important to note some of the strange demands made in the contract, while at the time I thought it was something all breeders requested (later to find out that was not the case):
1.) buyer agrees to complete obedience training by 6 months in a course APPROVED by the breeder
2.) buyer agrees to send photos of the puppy at 3, 6, 12, and 18 months- front and side views sent via email
3.) buyer agrees that breeder has final determination on what puppy we get- (after going through about a 3 hour converstation with him detailing what my boyfriend and I enjoy doing and what type of personality our dog should have- I felt confident he knew that a healthy, active, and social dog was right for us!)

It also states that:
- Pickup will take place at the cargo area of the airport (since I was flying in for it)

We also put down a $300.00 deposit in cash up front to hold our puppy.

So where did it all go wrong and how did this breeder totally rip us off?
About 4 weeks ago we received a call from the breeder and things had changed....his whole attitude was different...he was no longer going to meet us at the airport and could not tell us what puppy we were receiving. the new plan, I was instructed to fly in, rent a car, and drive to his ranch about 1 hour and 40 minutes outside the city. He said all the other owners were flying in and driving back with their puppies and I should think about doing the same- I may be a first time dog owner- but driving in a car for 17 hours with a new puppy did not make sense. I told him I needed to see what my options were especially with the high cost of flying. Then he called about 2 weeks later and explained that he had found homes for all the other puppies and was left with one male puppy that was "not very social, does not interact well with the other dogs and people, and eats when he wants"- seemed odd that he would tell us that since we told him we were a young active couple with a big yard planning on taking our new dog to work everyday where he will be around people and hiking and on trips with us on the weekend- didnt really make sense. Why did he call us and talk us out of the puppy?

Well, the answer to TAKE OUR MONEY AND NOT SUPPLY US A DOG!

This guy continues to write us very rude emails and communicate in a manner only a cold-hearted individual has the power to do so. I really hope that if anyone is interested in getting a Rhodesian puppy in the future they think twice about going with Mark Shirley.

Wrongfully taken advantage of
Derry, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2008 07:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mark-Shirley-Rhapsody-Rhodesian-Ridgeback/Mchenry-Illinois/Mark-Shirley-Rhapsody-Rhodesian-Ridgeback-Rhodesian-Ridgeback-Breeder-took-our-money-and-338785. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mark Shirley - Rhapsody Rhodesian Ridgeback

Deposit was refunded- THANX YOU

AUTHOR: Wrongfully taken advantage of - (U.S.A.)

Deposit was refunded- THANK YOU