Complaint Review: Market Research, Inc.

• Submitted: Thu, March 08, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, March 08, 2012

• Reported By: Donna A. — Bradenton Florida United States of America
Market Research, Inc.
47 Broadway 7th Floor, New York, New York United States of America

Market Research, Inc. Western Union Scam New York, New York

I found out that I was being laid off, like many others these days, and decided to sign up to be a secret shopper or mystery shopper to get some extra income.  I signed up on several sites, and of course, they had links to other sites, so I didn't really keep track of or remember who I signed up with.  About a week later, I recieved a check in the mail from Market Research, Inc for $1500!  All I had to do was do two mystery shop jobs for them using the funds from the check.

The letter said that I had 48 hours to complete the shop once the funds were available.  Of course, I was anxious and excited because I was getting paid $300, plus they wanted me to shop at Best Buy, K-Mart or Walmart, spend $250, and keep my purchases as additional compensation.  The other part of the job was to send a Western Union transfer for $875.  I deposited the check, and kept out the money for the Western Union Transfer.  I wanted to get started right away to prove I was a good resource.

I had to call a coordinator to get the name and location of the individual receiving the money.  They were very kind and helpful ... they must be for real!  I was given the name of Ruth Campbell in Kingston, Canada.  The next day, I went to the Western Union at my local grocery store and dutifully sent $875 to Ruth.  I paid great attention to all the details including the time I had to wait, the clutter on the counter, etc.  I sat down right there in the store and filled out the report.  Then I went shopping at Best Buy.  I was very careful to spend as close to $250 as possilbe.  I called and gave them the wire transfer number and was asked to scan and email all of the receipts.  It was done the next day.

Four days later, I received a notice from my bank that I was overdrawn.  The check for $1500 had been returned.  I feel sick!  I am normally very careful and thorough, but this time, the dollar signs blinded me.  Don't let this happen to you.  I am out $950 thanks to these scammers!  That evening when I got home, I had another offer from Premium Marketing Research with a check for $1993.    They want me to wire $1480.  I think I'll pass!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/08/2012 12:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Market-Research-Inc/New-York-New-York-10004/Market-Research-Inc-Western-Union-Scam-New-York-New-York-850692. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Market Research, Inc.